FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: But, I didn't even plan to go fishing today...  (Read 1184 times)

LundProv

But, I didn't even plan to go fishing today...
« on: Apr 21, 2023, 08:29 PM »
Woke this AM about 4:45 anticipating a good meeting with my friends at bible study...  Really had no plans to fish today...  We are studying the minor prophets from the Old Testament and today the study focused on Jonah... As I was laying there, I was thinking it would take little effort to hook the boat up to the chick magnet (Suburban) and study is over at 7:30 so why not head over to Stone lake in LaPorte.  I mean, if you are gonna study Jonah, you should probably go fishing afterwards... Great study... Good fellowship... Amazing story and then off to LaPorte.   I got to Stone and prepared the boat for launching and my plan was to troll 8-10' of water in search of spring crappies.  After launching, I was in the boat and a younger man in a red Lund was idling into the ramp area.  He told me he needed to go to work and wanted to know if I wanted some minnows.  I had not planned to use minnows as I usually do well with trolling twister tails but sure, why not... I'll tell you -- those people in those Lund boats are nice people.  He not only gave me about a dozen minnows but told me it I wanted to catch crappies, I should go out to about 8' of water and use slip bobbers and minnows.  I am pretty head strong and did my trolling thing and did catch a few.  With about an hour left, I went to where he told me to go and son of a gun, a minnow and a slip bobber rig set about 3' down was on fire.  I also had good luck simply putting the minn kota on spot lock and fan casting a jig/twister tail with the slip bobber rig deadsticked in the rod holder.  It was just too much fun and what was supposed to be 2 hours or so turned into 4 hours.  It was absolutely beautiful outside today and the crappies seemed happy to see me.  I finished with 28 crappies with the biggest right at 13" and the average at 10" and two chunky gills.  Of course, I kept a limit of 25 crappies and the gills.  Driving home, the level of gratitude was beyond measure and I look forward to seeing what is next.  Get out and enjoy our resources and remember the source of the resource...

den58

Re: But, I didn't even plan to go fishing today...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2023, 08:35 PM »
Nice job wish I could fish Stone that way glad you caught them

BBLoon

Re: But, I didn't even plan to go fishing today...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2023, 08:49 PM »
Great day and you didn't even get eaten by a whale!! 🐳

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.