FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bearing Buddies on Boat Trailer...  (Read 2940 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bearing Buddies on Boat Trailer...
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2023, 03:44 PM »
Not worth the money if you ask me.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2023, 04:53 PM »
We know
You’ve already said that.

8)

fishinator

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 08:56 AM »
Not worth the money if you ask me.
I guess it depends on the situation.  I blew my seal last week with bearing buddies.  I made it home with just a big mess to clean up and a seal to replace.
  Couple months ago my friend lost a seal and didn't catch it. New hub, bearings, seals AND a new axle. Plus 2 weeks of down time.
   Took me 20 minutes and $10 to fix my problem, he was in a few hundred.

rigo.shark1

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2023, 03:23 PM »
I have Bearing Buddies on my boat trailer and they work great for me. Some people don't like them because they can cause overgreasing, leading to blown seals. In my opinion, if you install them properly and don't overfill, they can be quite helpful.
Tampa, FL Angler 🎣 | Chasing the Big Ones 🐟 | Saltwater & Freshwater Fanatic | Always Ready to Cast a Line and Share Stories 🌊🎣🌞

taxid

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 11:06 PM »
I will be taking apart the bearing assembly tomorrow, regreasing and installing the bearing buddies. Wish me luck. Then it's on to repairing the wiring on the trailer.

Actually they aren't the brand called Bearing Buddies but look the same. I was surprised to find I had to get them from Tractor Supply vs. the local auto parts store.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

iceman260

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2023, 04:43 AM »
I've always had bearing buddies on my boat trailers, never had a problem with them. My last boat I trailed to niantic all the time to fish long island sound, had that boat for 21 years never had a bearing go bad. My new boat has buddies but it only makes short trips, couple pumps every spring and your good to go.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2023, 09:17 PM »
Finally got around to repacking/replacing bearings on the boat trailer today. Picked up something at TSC that is just like Bearing Buddings but not the same brand. Was really surprised one of the local auto parts story Autozone didn't have Bearing buddies or replacement bearings for a trailer. Of course there are two other auto parts stores in this small town (no idea why), but I just decided to hit TSC.

Anyway, after dealing with my elderly parents that got into a shouting match this morning, and taking my mom to her exercise bike via wheelchair, and being a psychiatrist to her, I finally got started. Had to use a cheater bar to get the lug nuts off the first wheel. Bearings didn't look bad but there was some noise when I spun the wheel. And the inside seal was warped. So bought a kit for each wheel. There was plenty of grease but it was brown and there was some rust. Cleaned that all up and regreased. I bought a new grease gun as my dad has one I could use, but he has his own grease and he was reluctant to remove it to add my special marine grease. Added the end of the new grease gun to the zerk on the Bearing Buddy copy cat to see how it fits and couldn't get it off to save my life! Finally go it off and had  the Bearing Buddy come apart in the process so I had to put it back together again. Frustrating to say the least.

Anyway after all kinds of interruptions I got one wheel done!

There is a hole on the side of the Bearing Buddy copy cat to allows excess grease to come out if you overfill it.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2023, 09:58 PM »

There is a hole on the side of the Bearing Buddy copy cat to allows excess grease to come out if you overfill it.

I've seen these.
Great idea.
Simple idea.

fishinator

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2023, 09:58 PM »
You should just tilt the gun to the side to release.  If not the tip needs adjusted.

Mac Attack

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2023, 10:01 PM »

taxid

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2023, 10:04 PM »
You should just tilt the gun to the side to release.  If not the tip needs adjusted.

Are you kidding?! I had to put d**n thing in a vise and it still fought me all the way!

fishinator

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2023, 10:05 PM »
The tip should screw in and out

taxid

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2023, 10:07 PM »
The tip should screw in and out

Didn't seem to. I will have to try it again. I did get the cheapest one I could find. Maybe I got what I paid for. Doesn't have a flexible hose.

Johnnh

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2023, 05:32 AM »
I use the Locknube fitting adapters.
I have a Dewalt battery operated grease gun and several manual grease guns.

With multiple tractors, trailers and attachments the Lock n lube tips make life easy.
Locknlube.com

taxid

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2023, 07:08 AM »
I use the Locknube fitting adapters.
I have a Dewalt battery operated grease gun and several manual grease guns.

With multiple tractors, trailers and attachments the Lock n lube tips make life easy.
Locknlube.com

I may have to check that out at some point. Thanks John!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.