FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This looks familiar...  (Read 1934 times)

taxid

This looks familiar...
« on: May 06, 2023, 06:38 AM »
The angler, Paul Chapdelaine pulled all of these out of one lake trout on Quabbin. As a taxidermist I have pulled these out of large trout. If they break down it must be very slow so any fish that consumes them would die a slow death. We can do better than this. Don't discard over the side of the boat.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Ryan51993

Re: This looks familiar...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 06:51 AM »
The angler, Paul Chapdelaine pulled all of these out of one lake trout on Quabbin. As a taxidermist I have pulled these out of large trout. If they break down it must be very slow so any fish that consumes them would die a slow death. We can do better than this. Don't discard over the side of the boat.

I know its not a laughing matter and I do my part to pick these up when I find them because I know many animals and fish will eat them. This is very sad to see, I'd like to think fisherman care more about wildlife than the average person but it's not always true. My question is where the heck are all the Lakers when I'm throwing these lol? I actually caught my very first salmon on a 5 inch Yamamoto. Never a lake trout though.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 08:14 AM »
The irony is the trout was killed by an angler not the plastics.  Also, there isnt a waterbody out there with a bunch of dead fish floating from this happening. (Not to say I enjoy seeing this) when fishermen post this stuff, its the fodder that anti fishing groups love.  Want to see quabbin close to rec fishing....this is a good start.  Lastly anyone who has caught a smallmouth or 2 on those knows the bass have a tendency to throw those baits on jumps.  I dont think many guys are tossing those willingly in a res you can get arrested for doing so....sorry I get fired up on this one.  Nothing worse than fishermen pointing a finger at other fishermen...again its the fodder antis love!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 09:29 AM »
The irony is the trout was killed by an angler not the plastics.  Also, there isnt a waterbody out there with a bunch of dead fish floating from this happening. (Not to say I enjoy seeing this) when fishermen post this stuff, its the fodder that anti fishing groups love.  Want to see quabbin close to rec fishing....this is a good start.  Lastly anyone who has caught a smallmouth or 2 on those knows the bass have a tendency to throw those baits on jumps.  I dont think many guys are tossing those willingly in a res you can get arrested for doing so....sorry I get fired up on this one.  Nothing worse than fishermen pointing a finger at other fishermen...again its the fodder antis love!

You make some good points. I can see where some of these come off the hook, get thrown, etc. but the people that I see complaining aren't anti-fishing. They are anglers on Quabbin Facebook page that say once these get chewed up SOME anglers just toss them over the side of the boat. All I'm saying is I'd like to see people that may be doing that take notice and stop doing that. As far as pointing fingers at other fisherman I think we both know there are some people that deserve it. Just look at the people that leave their trash behind especially on the ice.

A local lake that I used to fish a lot, for some reason the holdover browns become bottom oriented while the rainbows that don't hold over as well mostly suspend, and are zooplankton feeders. Here's a 9 lb. brown that was caught on dead chub bait fishing for channel catfish on the bottom.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 09:41 AM »
I know its not a laughing matter and I do my part to pick these up when I find them because I know many animals and fish will eat them. This is very sad to see, I'd like to think fisherman care more about wildlife than the average person but it's not always true. My question is where the heck are all the Lakers when I'm throwing these lol? I actually caught my very first salmon on a 5 inch Yamamoto. Never a lake trout though.

I vividly remember something as a kid on how quickly something can be picked up off the bottom by a trout. I was fishing on the bottom in a pond in Mass for brook trout with nitecrawlers.  Not sure how I caught it but a really small bass must have grabbed my bait as I was reeling it in, and I remember it died for whatever reason. Must have been gut hooked?  So I pitched it out as far as I could. The next day I caught a brook trout, and upon cleaning it found a small bass inside. I'm pretty sure it was the same bass. So it didn't take long for the dead bass to sink to the bottom in at least 30 feet of water and for the brook trout to pick it up.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 10:17 AM »
Sorry - I cannot make out what they actually are.

Somebody clue me in, because, as always, I'm clueless.   8)

thanks

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 04:36 PM »
Senko; plastic bait...

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 05:06 PM »
Senko; plastic bait...

Yup.
Saw it on the other thread.
Thanks.

I still don’t think what’s in the photo “looks” like plastic bait.  It looks like rope or something.

Again, thanks!

taxid

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 09:07 PM »

One way to rig them.

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 01:13 AM »

X2

Bartman44

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 07:49 AM »
The one thing you need to know about these baits is that they are dense and sink so no surprise they end up on the bottom where Lake Trout lurk. I wouldn't necessarily conclude that they are intentionally thrown overboard although I do agree that there are those out there that have a disregard for doing that right thing, hopefully the minority. If you just hook them direct, they will come off easily. 

I don't bass fish as much as I used to but I pull these baits out when I have my grandson in the boat as they are easy for him to use.  I have found that using the rings below greatly reduce the loss of these baits so I would recommend these to anyone throwing the wacky rig. Hope this helps.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 11:45 AM »
Thats how we use to fish those bart.  Had a cheap tool to apply the o-ring to the senko.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 08:30 PM »
Thats how we use to fish those bart.  Had a cheap tool to apply the o-ring to the senko.

Wow that's clever! Did it look like this? We use them on fish farms to seal plastic bags of fish, water, and pure oxygen. It stretches an o ring over the end of the bag after the bag is folded over after the water, fish, and oxygen is added. Makes it easy to open eh bag by just pulling on it but seals in the oxygen.

stripernut

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 09:28 PM »
The few times I have used a "O" ring I just use a casing of a pen, roll the rings on the tip, stick the "worm" inside the tube, and roll one onto the spot I want it...

taxid

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2023, 10:25 PM »
The few times I have used a "O" ring I just use a casing of a pen, roll the rings on the tip, stick the "worm" inside the tube, and roll one onto the spot I want it...

Makes sense!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.