FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This looks familiar...  (Read 1933 times)

bogtrotter

Re: This looks familiar...
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 06:49 AM »
Are you sure that swallowing a Senko has any ill effect on a fish?

The reason I ask is because I recall catching a rainbow (on a tip up) while ice fishing once that had swallowed the hook so badly that I had to keep it, and when I cleaned it, I found a Senko the length and width of my middle finger in its gut.

Presumably the rainbow had swallowed the Senko several months earlier (during the open water season), but, when I caught it, it seemd to still be "well nourished" and vigorous.

scooper47

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 07:50 AM »
I have found that using the rings below greatly reduce the loss of these baits so I would recommend these to anyone throwing the wacky rig. Hope this helps.

Funny, using rings greatly INCREASED my loss of Senkos. Probably small fish grabbing one end, and I stripped it off when I set the hook. I must have been using a size too large, even though it was the size I saw recommended.

taxid

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 12:23 PM »
Are you sure that swallowing a Senko has any ill effect on a fish?

The reason I ask is because I recall catching a rainbow (on a tip up) while ice fishing once that had swallowed the hook so badly that I had to keep it, and when I cleaned it, I found a Senko the length and width of my middle finger in its gut.

Presumably the rainbow had swallowed the Senko several months earlier (during the open water season), but, when I caught it, it seemd to still be "well nourished" and vigorous.

Don't know for sure but typically plastics take a long time to degrade. Some plastics take up to 400 years in landfills.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinator

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2023, 05:56 PM »
Don't know for sure but typically plastics take a long time to degrade. Some plastics take up to 400 years in landfills.
I find that hard to verify since plastic as we know it was invented in 1907.

KingPerch

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2023, 06:09 PM »

Taxid, here is an O-ring tool we use for rigging senkos for bass fishing. Most times, the O-ring and senko will slide up the line, during the battle, before it comes off. Pull it back down to the hook and cast again. The O-ring helps save the baits longer for multiple fish. The O-rings are a tight fit.
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

LENZ

• Member of the G.O.D.S
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2023, 07:07 AM »
from someone who doesn't soft water fish...why not just use a worm/night crawler?
burp
soft water fishin' is for softies

burp

taxid

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2023, 08:48 AM »
I find that hard to verify since plastic as we know it was invented in 1907.

Actually plastics didn't really start getting used until the second World War and really got going in the 1960's.

I'm sure there's a way to extrapolate how long it would take based on shorter time frame observations and a formula. Doesn't sound really complicated to me.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.