FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wild life services  (Read 4120 times)

62 & Done

Re: Wild life services
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2023, 07:08 PM »
Call em what you want. I don't like em

taxid

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2023, 09:15 PM »
Never saw one before the 80s

I never saw a Great Blue Heron or Bald Eagle before the 80's either. I wonder if DDT had something to do with it?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2023, 09:26 PM »
I like reading and learning from your posts Mac.  ;)

Likewise and he has always helped answer any questions I have. Very knowledgable guy. The only thing I recall Mac badmouthing is ice fishing! He hates the cold!

:rotflol:

Back to the cormorants: A biologist on Lake Huron in the Alpena, Michigan area told me years back they only got a 1/10 of one percent return on planted brown trout thanks to the cormorants that immediately go on the attack after they are planted. And they can eat a hell of a lot of fish. See photo. An island they were nesting on in Thunder Bay (near Alpena not the one in Canada) was like a dead zone due to their feces killing off all plant life.

They may be native and they may be part of the ecosystem, but apparently they don't have the natural predators they need to have to keep their numbers in check. A repeated theme when it comes to our interference with nature.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2023, 09:46 PM »
Back in 2020, Ontario Canada opened a cormorant season between Sept and the end of the year (roughly).
It allows you to shoot and kill 15 a day per person.
I know a lot of guys out there aren’t fond of Canada.  I like fishing up there.
And they recognized the problem and took action.

As far as I’m concerned…..
Kill them!

taxid

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2023, 09:55 PM »
Ya know ticks are part of the natural ecosystem too but...

taxid

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2023, 05:49 AM »
cormorants are a native animal and play a part of the eco system  ........ local geese are a us wildlife experiment that went wrong  and should be corrected .......... mute swans are a invasive animal that kills native  water fowl  and should be destroyed

The swans can be brutal! They are very territorial. We had a situation in my area on one of the lakes regarding them. Half the lake people loved them and half of them hated them as they were attacking their kids and anyone that would get remotely close. Anyway our DNR came in one night and shot them. Of course half of the lake people were ecstatic and half of them very livid. LOL

I was fishing a small lake where every time a Canadian goose tried to join its mate on a nest a Swan came out and attacked it. Must have also had a nest close by.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2023, 06:47 AM »
mute swans are from china and will attack and kill native water fowl
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

hinkydo

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2023, 09:11 AM »
Thanks, Mac, for the fact check. As far as I care they are not native bird species of north America.
Should be keep in check just like we do with other wildlife.
We do it with fish, deer, and waterfowl regulations and management to keep them from over populating., to control are ecosystems.
So, let's get some regulation and management on them or they are going to destroy the fishing in waterways and foliage on what Islands they nest on.

hinkydo       Fish on and shoot some cormorants

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2023, 12:36 PM »
It’s foolish to think we can control Mother Nature to our own ends. Never happen! We keep meddling and in my opinion we exacerbate most of with we think are problems.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2023, 03:29 PM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

gotagetm

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2023, 06:18 PM »
 :laugh:

taxid

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2023, 08:21 PM »
:laugh:

We are all being dated by that commercial!

I looked it up. 52 years ago! 1971!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2023, 08:28 PM »
Yup! I remember it well.

Oh well.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

hinkydo

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2023, 05:00 AM »
In the long run what use are they, cormorants?
They still have to be managed or I feel the fish we enjoy catching and eat are going to decrease.
Where do we go from there?
We still have to do something because that's what we do.

hinkydo  Fish ON at least for a while longer

taxid

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2023, 01:17 PM »
In the long run what use are they, cormorants?
They still have to be managed or I feel the fish we enjoy catching and eat are going to decrease.
Where do we go from there?
We still have to do something because that's what we do.

hinkydo  Fish ON at least for a while longer

Yup! Now that we have changed the balance and removed a lot of the natural predators we have to manage the system.

I wad reading somewhere that at one time cougars were so common in North American they were everywhere. So many in fact that there are a lot of subspecies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.