FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wild life services  (Read 4122 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Wild life services
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2023, 01:20 PM »
I read someplace that there are more whitetail deer today than back when the pilgrims were around.  Not sure how they know this.  Who counted them back in the 1500-1600’s and what was the procedure? ;)

62 & Done

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2023, 03:26 PM »
Back in them days I'm sure there was a lot of mature forest which does not provide the white tail with great nutrition especially in the winter months . Also remember that back then there were REAL winters. Heck our lakes don't even freeze any more.

greensider

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2023, 05:07 PM »
I have seen herons since I was a kid in elementary school and a few eagles as well

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2023, 06:21 PM »
increase in agriculture....the elemination of natural prediters  (wolves) modern  wildlife management  .......  all these things  increased the  population of deer,,,,theres alot more deer now then there was when i was a  child
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Mac Attack

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2023, 06:26 PM »
Quote from: 62 & Done link =topic=80612.msg888673#msg888673 date=1683923187

Heck our lakes don't even freeze any more.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

:o

62 & Done

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2023, 08:31 PM »
It is

taxid

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2023, 11:00 PM »
I have seen herons since I was a kid in elementary school and a few eagles as well

But you're only 15!  ;D

Just kidding. How old are you? I'm 65.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2023, 11:01 PM »

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

:o

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2023, 09:15 AM »

Although I don't like what the cormorants have done to Ibay, they are protected and would like to see less of them if the DEC so decides to do that.

To chime in on the whitetail thing, in 1900 there were 0 deer in New York. Yup, 0. In the '20"s the first re-sighting of the current population was in Naples, NY. People have a real hard time rapping their heads around the fact that NY and a very large portion of The surrounding NE was clear cut. Again, yup, no mature forests. Very few swaths survived and indigenous species along with that. Don't even get me going on cougars in NY. Sucks what we used to do to nature and the price it payed.

I did have a rare sighting of an indigenous species years ago......................Mac ice fishing in NY.  ;) ::)

Mac Attack

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2023, 10:29 AM »

Although I don't like what the cormorants have done to Ibay, they are protected and would like to see less of them if the DEC so decides to do that.

To chime in on the whitetail thing, in 1900 there were 0 deer in New York. Yup, 0. In the '20"s the first re-sighting of the current population was in Naples, NY. People have a real hard time rapping their heads around the fact that NY and a very large portion of The surrounding NE was clear cut. Again, yup, no mature forests. Very few swaths survived and indigenous species along with that. Don't even get me going on cougars in NY. Sucks what we used to do to nature and the price it payed.

I did have a rare sighting of an indigenous species years ago......................Mac ice fishing in NY.  ;) ::)

Hi buddy!

How ya been?
I heard you had rough go of it a while back.  I hope you’re better.  A lot better!!
The Stetson still fit your fat head?  Lol

;)

jperch

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2023, 01:12 PM »
Cormorants seem to be everywhere there are abundant fish these days.  Near the mouth of the Oswego river I sometimes watch them fishing, they are very efficient.  From what I see they are mostly catching gobies in the river.  Towards dark you see flocks of them flying upriver.

taxid

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2023, 09:23 PM »

:rotflol:

taxid

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2023, 09:28 PM »
When I lived in Massachusetts as a kid from about 1967 to 1971 I never saw a deer there. I'm sure they were around but never saw one. Also never saw a turkey. And never saw a tick or heard of one. We lived on a military post and the military loved DDT for mosquito control. They would drop it via C-130's all over the post. Maybe why no ticks? I remember fishing when a C-130 did a drop and there were bugs on the surface of the water everywhere and the fish went nuts.

Mac Attack

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2023, 09:55 PM »
:rotflol:

He's one of the few.
There's a few guys on here who have.
Jerry, Greg, my son Jeff, Rich

Years ago I ice fished all the time.
The neuropathy simply made it far too painful.
Another reason moving down here to FL was a good move for me.

greensider

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2023, 04:29 AM »
The good ol dec is themselves responsible for a few endangered species such as blowing up timber rattler dens so bluestone quarries could be opened purely for money

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.