FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I've gone Bat **** crazy!  (Read 968 times)

taxid

I've gone Bat **** crazy!
« on: May 13, 2023, 09:48 PM »
Sealed bats out of my log home last year (or was it the year before?) that were getting in between the chimney and fascia board. May have posted about that here last year or the year before? Anyway, I set it up where they could get out but not back in, and then sealed in all openings with wire mesh and expandable foam. 

After I was done I put up a bat house they can use instead of my house.

Well there's a least a pair in there now judging by the bat droppings under it.

(I have to get up there and trim and paint that foam.)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

Re: I've gone Bat **** crazy!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 09:52 PM »
I put 2 bat houses up out at or place on Erie.
Great way to keep the mosquitos in check.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 09:56 PM »
I put 2 bat houses up out at or place on Erie.
Great way to keep the mosquitos in check.

Yeah they beat the heck out of Purple Martins people rave about.

Scientists have discovered that some small bats can catch up to 1,000 or more small insects in a single hour. A nursing mother bat eats the most – sometimes catching more than 4,000 insects in a night.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd476773.pdf

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2023, 06:46 AM »
I need to replace my bathouse. Carpenter bees ruined it.

fishinator

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2023, 06:56 AM »
Yeah they beat the heck out of Purple Martins people rave about.

Scientists have discovered that some small bats can catch up to 1,000 or more small insects in a single hour. A nursing mother bat eats the most – sometimes catching more than 4,000 insects in a night.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd476773.pdf
purple Martins are waaaaay overrated for mosquito control. As part of my job I am a licensed to spray for mosquitoes.  The purple martin misinformation came from a study where they put the martins in an enclosure with mosquitoes and.....of course they ate the mosquitoes as there was no other food. Also martins do not specifically target mosquitoes and lastly martins are most active during the day when mosquitoes are resting.  Bats are a little better but still do little to control the mosquitoe population.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2023, 07:59 AM »
I need to replace my bathouse. Carpenter bees ruined it.

Ewww never thought of that. I have carpenter bees up the whazoo on my log home but didn't realize they might go after the bat house. It might be cedar so maybe that would help?

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2023, 08:13 AM »
They also ruined the best bluebird box that I ever had. It was in a prime location and the bluebirds loved it for year, until the carpenter bees found it. I tried sealing the hole with Gorilla Glue and a piece of wood, but they just cut another hole! Dang!

Next time, when I replace the box, I'm going to paint it with Drylok. Maybe that will deter them into thinking it's not wood.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2023, 08:37 AM »
They also ruined the best bluebird box that I ever had. It was in a prime location and the bluebirds loved it for year, until the carpenter bees found it. I tried sealing the hole with Gorilla Glue and a piece of wood, but they just cut another hole! Dang!

Next time, when I replace the box, I'm going to paint it with Drylok. Maybe that will deter them into thinking it's not wood.

Maybe make it out of a type of wood siding we used on our garage/parents apartment out here we call "Cart Siding?" It comes in 4 X 8 sheets and looks like plywood but is extremely hard stuff. The Carpenter bees can't drill into it.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2023, 09:41 AM »
Good tip, or find someone that makes them out of that stuff or something similar.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.