FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Do I still use the outer seal with the Bearing Buddy?  (Read 4774 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Do I still use the outer seal with the Bearing Buddy?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2023, 01:28 PM »
Thanks Mac. I guess I need to go in and replace one of races that had some pitting in it vs. the other side which is smooth. I tried briefly with a large screwdriver and was not successful. Rather than damage it and not be able to get it out I left it in. I did everything that was done in the video you posted.

Turn the hub over and support it between 2 blocks of wood.
Get a BF hammer and a large drift pin or chisel and knock the outer race out from the opposite side.
It takes a bit.
One wack at 3 oclock.
One wack at 6 oclock
One wack at 9 oclock
and keep doing it till the race falls out.
And if you split the race with the cold chisel, so what!
It was junk to begin with.

Put the new one back in the same way but don't use a screwdriver or chisel.
Use a drift pin or something flat that won't damage the race.
Tap it...3 oclock......6 oclock.........9 oclock.......etc.
You will here it "ping" when the race gets seated fully into the hub.
The sound when you hit it with the hammer will change to a "ping" when it gets seated.

rigo.shark1

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2023, 03:10 PM »
Doesn't seem to be enough clearance to hold the Bearing Buddy in place with the outer seal.

Thanks!

The Youtube videos are great but they are all over the place with and without BB's so it's not clear.

Yeah I know it's probably a stupid question but that's me.

Sure thing, mate! You don't need the outer seal when using a Bearing Buddy, it's designed to replace it. If it doesn't fit snug, you might've got the wrong size - these buddies come in a range of diameters.
Tampa, FL Angler 🎣 | Chasing the Big Ones 🐟 | Saltwater & Freshwater Fanatic | Always Ready to Cast a Line and Share Stories 🌊🎣🌞

taxid

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 09:27 PM »
Reminder to self...self replace entire stratos hub vs just the bearings....

Glad to be of help!  :D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 02:53 PM »
delete
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 02:58 PM »

Turn the hub over and support it between 2 blocks of wood.
Get a BF hammer and a large drift pin or chisel and knock the outer race out from the opposite side.
It takes a bit.
One wack at 3 oclock.
One wack at 6 oclock
One wack at 9 oclock
and keep doing it till the race falls out.
And if you split the race with the cold chisel, so what!
It was junk to begin with.

Put the new one back in the same way but don't use a screwdriver or chisel.
Use a drift pin or something flat that won't damage the race.
Tap it...3 oclock......6 oclock.........9 oclock.......etc.
You will here it "ping" when the race gets seated fully into the hub.
The sound when you hit it with the hammer will change to a "ping" when it gets seated.

Thanks Mac. I'll give it a shot as soon as I can find time again! I'm spending so much time with my elderly parents I feel like I might as well move in! ::)

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 03:30 PM »
Thanks Mac. I'll give it a shot as soon as I can find time again! I'm spending so much time with my elderly parents I feel like I might as well move in! ::)

No problem bud!
I don't want to post what might be obvious but felt I should cover things for those who want to know.
Good luck partner!!!

taxid

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 07:48 PM »
No problem bud!
I don't want to post what might be obvious but felt I should cover things for those who want to know.
Good luck partner!!!

No worries.

taxid

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2023, 06:05 PM »
Got er done. Even got the Bearing Buddy tapped in place on the one hub that was giving me issues. Man but what a bear getting one of the two races out on one of the hubs. And I still had trouble getting the zerk fitting disconnected after pumping in grease. And no, turning it has no effect. That's what I get for going cheap on the grease gun. ($20.00) I will be changing out the tip of this thing before I use it again!

But just a question: If the weep hole on the side is there to allow excess grease to come out if one overfills the grease, what good is it if the dust cover is over it? Maybe just to tell you initially if you have reached maximum capacity?

Thank you all of you that offered advice especially Mac! 

fishinator

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2023, 06:44 PM »
Got er done. Even got the Bearing Buddy tapped in place on the one hub that was giving me issues. Man but what a bear getting one of the two races out on one of the hubs. And I still had trouble getting the zerk fitting disconnected after pumping in grease. And no, turning it has no effect. That's what I get for going cheap on the grease gun. ($20.00) I will be changing out the tip of this thing before I use it again!

But just a question: If the weep hole on the side is there to allow excess grease to come out of one overfills, what good is it if the dust cover is over it? Maybe just to tell you initially if you have reached maximum capacity?

Thank you all of you that offered advice especially Mac! 

the relief hole is just to let you know it's full. If it wasn't covered by the dust boot it would let water in when submerged,  defeating the purpose of them

Mac Attack

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2023, 07:16 PM »
the relief hole is just to let you know it's full. If it wasn't covered by the dust boot it would let water in when submerged,  defeating the purpose of them

This!!!!

And thanks!
Happy Trailering.

taxid

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2023, 07:41 PM »

Got it! Thanks!

taxid

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2023, 08:26 PM »
This!!!!

And thanks!
Happy Trailering.

Likewise!

taxid

« Reply #27 on: Jun 02, 2023, 07:14 PM »
Decided to KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) and just bring the seated kayak for vacation fishing. It's has a fish finder, comfortable seat, anchors and downrigger if I want to use it. And most of the waters I like to fish are small and usually quiet which is my preference. The big water one I can rent a boat economically.

So today I decided to check the bearings in the small utility trailer I put the kayak on. Used it a few years ago all the way from Indiana to Maine and back with no issues.

Bearings are fine so I just cleaned and repacked with grease. I was expecting to find a washer behind the castle nut but there were none. Is that common on utility trailers? I tried to install one but then I didn't have enough clearance for the hole to put the cotter pin in.

Mac Attack

« Reply #28 on: Jun 02, 2023, 07:49 PM »
The washer (and in this case the castle nut) snug up to the inner race of the bearing.  The inner race is stationary on the axle shaft.  Because of this, you really don’t need the washer.
The washer allows a little more flex when seating and adjusting the bearing is all.
Hope this helps.

taxid

« Reply #29 on: Jun 03, 2023, 07:14 AM »
The washer (and in this case the castle nut) snug up to the inner race of the bearing.  The inner race is stationary on the axle shaft.  Because of this, you really don’t need the washer.
The washer allows a little more flex when seating and adjusting the bearing is all.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Mac. Makes sense. The only other thing that worries me a little is even backing off the castle nut, the wheels, although they still spin, and they turn smoothly with no noise, seem a little stiff compared to before I took everything apart.  I used the same bearings and the rear grease seal isn't too small, so that shouldn't be the issue. Maybe it's just from new grease? Probably not using Bear Buddies on this one. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.