FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Strange worms in magoloway  (Read 2074 times)

Dirt23

Strange worms in magoloway
« on: May 15, 2023, 05:47 AM »
Noticed large white worms laying on bottom. These almost looked like worms from pigs but on further inspections they were flat not round. Anyone notice anything strange going on?  Is this worthy of contacting bios?

taxid

Re: Strange worms in magoloway
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 05:58 AM »
 Is it possible they are discarded saltwater bloodworms that someone used as bait that has turned white after dying? 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 11:23 AM »
A call to them wouldn't be bad that's for sure.  They love a good streamside mystery.

Noticed large white worms laying on bottom. These almost looked like worms from pigs but on further inspections they were flat not round. Anyone notice anything strange going on?  Is this worthy of contacting bios?

Dirt23

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 05:55 AM »
Is it possible they are discarded saltwater bloodworms that someone used as bait that has turned white after dying? 
i would have to say no for the fact it's fly fishing only and around twenty miles off pavement in the wilderness

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 09:19 AM »
i would have to say no for the fact it's fly fishing only and around twenty miles off pavement in the wilderness

O.K. yeah I'm not familiar with the area. I thought maybe you were near the coast.

Sounds like some kind of tapeworms.

Out here in the midwest it's been verified we have the Asian tapeworm in the Great Lakes so sushi is a big no no. LOL
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rigo.shark1

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 03:12 PM »
Sounds like you're seeing some marine flatworms, they're not uncommon in certain areas. As long as they're not in massive numbers, it should be alright, but if you're seeing a big infestation, might be worth letting the local fish and wildlife authorities know.
Tampa, FL Angler 🎣 | Chasing the Big Ones 🐟 | Saltwater & Freshwater Fanatic | Always Ready to Cast a Line and Share Stories 🌊🎣🌞

Dirt23

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 05:32 AM »
Bio got back to me said nothing alarming that it's not uncommon in rangley region to have tape worm.  Bio also said this is time of year worms leave  there host and that's why you will find on river bottom.  Glad to hear this isn't unusual because it's such a great fishery

taxid

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 08:51 AM »
Bio got back to me said nothing alarming that it's not uncommon in rangley region to have tape worm.  Bio also said this is time of year worms leave  there host and that's why you will find on river bottom.  Glad to hear this isn't unusual because it's such a great fishery

Just don't eat the fish sushi style!  :laugh:

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for following up on this!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.