FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vintage fishing reels  (Read 3094 times)

myemmy

Re: Vintage fishing reels
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2023, 02:00 PM »
I see Mac has an oldie but goodie fishing out fit ,what do you guys treasure ? I hane and old fiber glass sears with a sears reel ,my guides are worn also ,lots of memories

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2023, 02:07 PM »
My treasure is a Fenwick FF856 5-6 wt. it’s actually a replacement for the first fly rod I owned. The first was destroyed. Can’t remember how.

Such a sweet casting fly rod.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinator

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 02:13 PM »
I see Mac has an oldie but goodie fishing out fit ,what do you guys treasure ? I hane and old fiber glass sears with a sears reel ,my guides are worn also ,lots of memories
I was taught to fish on a zebco 202, no reason to keep any of those things around. Then I moved on to whatever walmart stuff I could afford. None of that was worth keeping around either and was tossed when it wore out.  Love my pflueger/st Croix set ups now.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2023, 02:28 PM »
I have a Zebco 202. Taught my grandson to fish with it.

He’s 21 now…….time flies.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2023, 04:11 PM »
I remember the Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reel. Never could afford one as a kid but coveted them when I saw an adult using one. Now they are collector's items? Wow makes me feel old!

Speaking of the old days? Remember when the Lowrance Green box first came out? I coveted that too!  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinator

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2023, 05:36 PM »
I remember the Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reel. Never could afford one as a kid but coveted them when I saw an adult using one. Now they are collector's items? Wow makes me feel old!

Speaking of the old days? Remember when the Lowrance Green box first came out? I coveted that too!  ;D
friend of mine has one of those displayed with some old fishing gear.

filetandrelease

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 05:34 AM »

I have a few old Mitchell reels 300-308 , handed down from my dad and grand dad
 Few extra spools in their original boxes

I also have a few Berkley series 1 rods and an UL lighting rod which are 40 plus years old
 And a couple old south bend UL ice rods

myemmy

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 06:16 AM »
One day we all should fish with vintage equipment such as steel rods or old glass rods with casting reels pflugers,south bends and black deacon line, then add a few old wood lures pinkie minnows river runts south Ben bassorenos etc, I think we have it easy now.

fishinator

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2023, 06:44 AM »
One day we all should fish with vintage equipment such as steel rods or old glass rods with casting reels pflugers,south bends and black deacon line, then add a few old wood lures pinkie minnows river runts south Ben bassorenos etc, I think we have it easy now.
off topic, but I did see a group that has a steelhead tournament using little kids barbie and Spiderman poles. Looks like a blast. A Vintage equipment tournament would be fun.

Johnnh

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2023, 08:53 AM »
Have 2 mitchell 300's, a 308 and a 400 (blue reel that mitchell produced and sold as a high speed reel).

catfisher

• Born to fish
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2023, 07:40 AM »
My regular fishing gear. Dam Quick for the 10-15 Lb. catfish. Luxor for Steelhead and Walleye jigging. Crack (precursor to Luxor) for panfish. I just like old stuff.

Bartman44

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2023, 02:07 PM »
Nothing wrong with the old stuff Catfisher, nice reels.

Those bait-caster reels and rods bring back memories of my first experiences trolling when I was 9 or 10 years old. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, southern Lake Champlain was a walleye (and pike) mega-factory and my best friend's dad had a small camp north of Putnam Station. Dozens of small aluminum boats trolled up and down the shoreline daily, using those rigs, black Dacron line, with a Junebug spinner and night crawler trolled probably less than 30-40 feet behind the boat. It worked quite well and when a hit came, it was explosive, having no stretch and being so close to the boat. It was an exciting way to fish for sure.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.