FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend Wrapup  (Read 644 times)

bogtrotter

Memorial Day Weekend Wrapup
« on: May 29, 2023, 09:03 PM »
Today, for the last day of the long weekend, I travelled down to Chicopee to f.ish the river of that same name.

(Another sunny, warm (80 degree) day.

I arrived around 10:15 AM and fished till about 2:45 PM.

Practically the first thing I saw when i got down to the stream was a great blue heron, which I was able to approach within about 40 feet before it flew off under protest.

The river was down some since the last time I was there, which made wading a bit easier.

There were a few other fishermen on the river, but not many, and they didn't seem to be catching very much, as far as I could see.

Over the course of the four and a half hours that I was there, I caught a dozen (mostly large) sunfish and eight small mouth bass of various sizes (from 4" to 16").

I caught most of the sunfish under the "stepped waterfall" upstream from the Davitt Bridge, and the two largest small mouth a little below the dam (toward the left hand side) upstream from that - - although I did lreel in one sunfish and a good-sized (15") small mouth bass below the trestle about a half mile downstream from the Davitt Bridge.

Ryan51993

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Wrapup
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 09:33 AM »
Did the smallie fishing seem a little slower than usual for you? I hit smallie rivers twice this weekend and both times I was underwhelmed by the numbers of fish caught. Water temps hit 70 so I know it wasn't too cold. All I could think of is maybe they're spawning?

bogtrotter

Re: Memorial Day Weekend Wrapup
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 11:48 AM »
Did the smallie fishing seem a little slower than usual for you? I hit smallie rivers twice this weekend and both times I was underwhelmed by the numbers of fish caught. Water temps hit 70 so I know it wasn't too cold. All I could think of is maybe they're spawning?

Yes, it did seem a tad on the slow side.

I was mainly puzzled by the fact that there weren't any in the stepped waterfall section where I usually catch them - - and which was dominated by sunfish for some reason.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.