FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bowfin in the Upper Hudson?  (Read 924 times)

Hookset

Bowfin in the Upper Hudson?
« on: May 30, 2023, 08:28 AM »
The fiancee and I were on the boat in the Schuylerville area yesterday afternoon. Fishing was ok, caught a few lmb during the short time we fished. We were creeping out of some slop near the shoreline and we saw a bunch of carp rolling around, turtles diving, baitfish everywhere. Then I saw what I thought was a carp right next to me. I dragged my fluke right in front of his face, and as he backed away, I saw his back had one continuous fin and it was undulating. It was a bowfin, three feet from me! I have never seen/hooked one in the river up here. Crazy!

Anyone else ever come across one of these up in these parts?
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

greensider

Re: Bowfin in the Upper Hudson?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 09:13 AM »
I have seen pictures of them in upper Hudson they are actually good eating just have to keep on ice or alive until cleaning or meat goes mushy

Bartman44

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 09:22 AM »
Never saw one in the Hudson but not surprising since Champlain is loaded with them and the canal connects the 2 waterways. 

They can be very aggressive, caught a big one on a buzz bait near Crown Point one day.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2023, 10:28 PM »
One of the hardest fighting fish you will ever get on your line.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.