FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quabbin Lakers  (Read 1563 times)

stripernut

Quabbin Lakers
« on: Sep 30, 2023, 10:13 PM »
For those that don't like a long post; I rented a Quabbin boat and caught a bunch of lakers...
Thursday was my Birthday, (I can’t believe I’m 61 now) the salt was a bit bumpy, and I could hear the Lakers calling, so Quabbin I went. I rented a boat, so I brought my clamp-on trolling motor and my Garmin Strike Cast. I still can’t get over how much easier it is to lug around my 100 amp LiFePO4 Lithium Battery compared to my old lead acid batteries. I think I was the only one who was renting a boat and they gave me one of the good-looking new hulls, but sadly I found out there was no room on the transom to mount a clamp-on trolling motor, so I had to ask for one of the old hulls… Off I went at a top speed of 6 mph… Strangely the prop kept cavitation and reported it when I got in but I think it fell on deaf ears… Used the Navionics on my phone to get to where I had done well before, dropped the transducer in the water, and started marking fish, using a tablet with Blue Tooth.  Lots of looks, some follow and a few hits, but not until I broke out a new lure did I start hooking up. I have been using Slow-Pitch jigs in the salt with great success and I finally got some 1 oz ones and the Lakers and they loved them! I used assist hooks and I rarely missed a hit. The wind was light so it was not hard to keep “on the spot” with a small goose of the trolling motor. By 9ish I had landed 10 lakers, no rats with the largest about 23”. Most of the time I was fishing in about 65’ of water but got a few lakers as they came through at around 40’. Not as nice as fishing out of a boat with spot-lock, but still very doable. It was a good morning with a couple of terrible selfies and a couple of shots at how I set up the rental.

bogtrotter

Re: Quabbin Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2023, 06:12 AM »
Great way to spend your birthday!

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2023, 06:16 AM »
Great way to spend your birthday!
X2

icefisher47

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2023, 07:12 AM »
Definitely a good way to spend your Birthday. Happy Birthday 🎂
Take a kid fishing

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2023, 08:38 AM »
Nice post and nice catching.  Happy birthday.

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2023, 12:54 PM »
Happy birthday!  Looks like you had a heck of day.  Having a trolling motor on the rentals is game changer.  You don't have to start up the motor all the time or breath the fumes all day.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2023, 05:48 AM »
Having a trolling motor on the rentals is game changer.  You don't have to start up the motor all the time or breath the fumes all day.

I can't agree more, thou I used it mostly this trip to hold over spots as I was jigging vertically.

iceman260

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2023, 07:09 AM »
Nice work, happy belated birthday.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2023, 09:19 PM »
great day Alan Happy belated birthday

stripernut

« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2023, 06:16 AM »
Thank everyone for the Happy Birthdays! May you all have a great Fall of fishing!

LENZ

• Member of the G.O.D.S
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2023, 07:36 AM »
Happy Birthday..great way to spend the day..
burp
soft water fishin' is for softies

burp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.