FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Singing Downriggers  (Read 14489 times)

wormwigglr

Singing Downriggers
« on: Jul 31, 2005, 06:10 PM »
does anyone know of anything that will stop the wire on the downriggers from singing? i'm sure someone has came up with a rig to prevent it if they do not sell one. any help would be appreciated.

Hood

Re: Singing Downriggers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2005, 08:17 PM »
never tried it but maybe a shock absorber like the ones for tennis raquets...
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:31 PM »
when you get the ball at the right depth, tie a rubber band around the wire...should work right?  Same idea as the bow string silencer.  its just a theory though, give it a shot, rubber bands are fairly inexpensive.

wormwigglr

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2005, 06:10 AM »
thanks red, i was thinking along the same lines but didn't want to try it till i heard someone else second it. i know people like to make them sing when trolling for eyes but it seems like it would be something to scare the fish since sound travels better in water.

Hilltopper

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2005, 08:40 AM »
Agree with Mac. Might be somewhat annoying to the fisherman but, IMO, not the fish.

matthewwood25

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2005, 07:04 PM »
they make  a cable thats not wire that doesnt sing it works really well.

matthewwood25

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2005, 02:07 PM »
i dont know the name of it but i can find out one of my buddies got it on his downriggers.

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2005, 07:33 AM »
lures put off vibrations and noise. it could almost work the same way.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2005, 12:43 AM »
Wormwiggler,  Currant, speed, troll direction, depth, ball weight, location of downrigger, etc... all play a part in "singing", just like Mac said! ;D  I can tell you that once you find a combination that matches your target species, boat, rigger, etc... STICK WITH IT!  I generally carry 4 sizes of rigger balls, usually located in the belly of my boat.  8 lb., 10 lb., 12 lb., and 15 lb. balls are present for fishing different bodies of water from lakes to tidal sounds.  As you probably know, these locations require different sized balls for their given conditions, (tide, depth, species, etc..).  By changing out a lighter weight for a little heavier model, I GENERALLY reduce or eliminate the line singing.  This isn't always the case, but it usually gets it done! ;)  Using the newer superline rigger line is an alternative that seems to work.  I installed it on my Big Jon electric riggers for fishing spring kings at 200ft.  I have only been using it for a month and thus far remains very effective!  Disadvantage to the superline, is that it's not as durable as good old wire. :-\

I can get away with 8 lb. balls trolling for lakers on local lakes with little to no line singing.  Change the speed and or depth + - .5 mph or 20 ft. and it starts to sing.  Either I ignore it, or just clip on a heavier ball.  This is a simple fix usually not targeting just slower speeds for deep water lake fish.   Changing weights has worked in such heavily tidal areas like the Florida Keys, Puget Sound, coastal Oregon, and the coastal waters of Alaska, (where I currently fish.) 

I know many fishermen on MFF don't troll in the salt, but there's plenty of leasons salt water folks can pass on.  One preventable saltwater tip for line singing is trolling with the tide, instead of against it.  Trolling against a tide is "usually" ludicrous, and not advised for salmon.  Trolling with the tide is much more effective, unless your at "slack" tide when the fish are aggressively feeding.  Point is, no matter how many pounds of lead you place on your rigger, that tidal flow will still make your line sing!  One small adaptation I tried with huge success was the addition of ball retriever.  Ball retrievers, assist you in "retrieving" your ball back to the boat.  The contraption is really just a cleat, string, and a pulley like mechanism that fits around your rigger line between the water and your rigger.  You simply pull the retriever through the cleat and your ball comes closer to the boat, (especially helpfull for those who use the longer boom riggers.)  I know I'm off track, but hear me out.  Once your rigger weight is deployed to the desired depth, you can pull the retriever in JUST A LITTLE to eliminate pesky wire noise.  If that little trick doesn't work, try a bigger ball.

I really can't find a real reason "why" rigger lines would chase fish away from your line????  That rhythmic whining seems to have a negative effect on me!  I can tell you that some seals are programmed to follow boats with downriggers!  Puget Sound Washington seals seem to associate downriggers with fish.???  I had several seals follow my boat and wait for me to fight a fish.  Once the fish are off the clip, the seals sneak in and grab the struggling fish either in one bite or tussle with you for several minutes, (until they come up for air!)  Don't know where I was going with this, other than if a seal hears it under water, I imagine a fish would too!

I do believe that your riggers polarity has more of an effect on fish than wire noise. 8)  You may know this.... or not!  Check your riggers status using this sites helpful hints.
http://www.apexlures.com/blkbox3.html
Wormwiggler, Good luck with the singing or you can always get a good stereo to cancel out the noise!

Mac, I use depth track downrigger line on my old Big Jon electric riggers.  IT'S GREAT STUFF and so far..... Quite!!! 
http://www.cabelas.C0M/information/Boating/CabelasDepthTracDownriggerLine.html  Are you purchasing one of those Ridgeback rattlers?  They look like a space ship from an old 60's movie. :-\ ;)  You have to give a report on those!  -Barleydog

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Mac,  Great reply, love the Steelhead story!  Hey I know what you mean with "pages" of quotes from every inch of the earth backing the side that noise is a negative or positive.  I'll save my fingers the keyboard stress!  I really believe that electrolysis has more of an effect than wire hum.  I wouldn't go as far as purchasing a Black box for this problem, but would fix the problem if it exists.  Wire singing is present at all time when trolling.  Place your ear on the rigger when trolling and listen.  Hum always a exists........  I can't stop it completely, just control it. 8)

At times, I used the hum to my advantage.  While driving my rig, or even fishing by myself, the low level hum comes in handy!  By listening to the hum, you can tell when a fish strikes your gear.  The consistant wire hum will suddenly change pitch or bounce in tone.  Listening to wire hum is a heck of a lot easier with a 4 stroke Honda working behind the boat!  Anyways, hum can be a great strike sensor on quite days.

IMHO, I believe that excessive wire noise is plain annoying!  More to the fishermen than perhaps the fish.  You'll always have it to some degree, but at least you can control it.  I really hope that tackle manufacturers will produce a "durable" version of DepthTrac super braid rigger line, and one that repels jellyfish!  Did I mention that DepthTrac has 1/2 the blow back of wire cable?  Worth the money if you fish deep or dislike the noise! ;)  -Barleydog

Capt. Travis

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2006, 07:42 AM »
Good discussion guys...   I have silenced my downrigger.   For my application, Tuna/wahoo trolling, the singing is a definate turn off.   When I say singing, I'm talking SINGING!...   We troll at 6 to 8 knots and with wire cable on there it SINGS!    That high pitch definately inhibited the bite.   I switched over to 200lb power pro instead of cable.   It greatly reduces this harmonic and since it had a smaller diameter than most downrigger cable it also has less blowback.     As you can imagine at the speeds we troll a downrigger ball is not the best implement at the end of the line.   I replace that with a #16 Old Salty Diving Planer.     

I am interested in yourdiscussion as our crew has decided to do an inland tourney in the finger lakes.   I'll have to convert my downriggers over to a freshwater configuration.   Balls and all...   Now the real question is, do I let the sing or silence the chorus...     I'll have to keep reading...

Thanks for putting up the good info Mac.
You know that tickle in the bottom of your stomach when the land fades to a thin black sliver and winks out of sight altogether.... Yea, I'll have some more of that.

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2006, 06:41 PM »
Some days on Lake Ontario I have noticed that too many singing riggers will spook the fish.  Some days it does not matter.  I usually cut back from 4 to 2 riggers and stretch the lures back if the fish seem shy. 

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2006, 04:45 AM »
Mac,

Thanks.  Hilton is a very nice quiet community.  Your relatives lived around the corner from my house (about 1 mile or 2). 

jacksonwayne44

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2020, 09:27 AM »
Sure, purchase a round cork bobber, about 1 1/2" diameter. Ream existing hole through bobber large enough to slide over all cable swivels and hardware, (etc); place bobber above all hardware on downrigger cable so that it floats at surface. This will cancel downrigger singing. Make sure bobber slides freely on cable so that the cable will pass through it on lowering or retrieving. If you see false echos from the downrigger;(for example an echo trail that adds up to more than the downriggers you are trailing) the false echo could be generated by the boober not being on the surface. make sure nothing impedes the bobbers ability to slide on the cable. It must stay on the surface.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.