FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish  (Read 85696 times)

perkhunter

Re: Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish
« Reply #90 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Game and Fish:

I had a question about Bighorn reservoir.  I have heard that Wyoming does not stock walleye in this lake anymore and that this is being managed as a sauger fishery.  Over the last 4 years I have caught only two walleye, both large, older fish, compared to probably over 150 sauger.  The sauger are big and great looking fish.  I was wondering what your counts show as far as walleye in the Wyoming end of Yellowtail.  I guess part of me misses the days of having a chance at catching a monster walleye.  Maybe they are still there?  Also I have heard rumors of a Triploid Strain of walleye possibly going to be stocked in yellowtail? Any truth to that? Thanks.

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #91 on: Nov 09, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I'm curious on the condition of the stock put into springer reservoir. How are the fish growing?

Dear HOOPA,

Sorry for the delayed response, but response is better than none.  We did sample Springer and Bump/Sullivan reservoirs this spring (April 2012) to check on fish that have been stocked since 2010. In Springer, since 2010, walleye, largemouth bass, and channel catfish have been stocked.  In Bump, since 2010, black crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass, and channel catfish have been stocked. Most reservoirs out in that country are connected, so there are other species present as well such as yellow perch, green sunfish and others.

Springer Reservoir: WAE are stocked as fingerlings, up to 3 inches, we captured walleye that ranged in length from 13 to 21 inches in Springer and black crappie from 4-9 inches, and yellow perch from 7-9.

Bump: crappie and bluegill are stocked at a slightly smaller size than walleye. We captured black crappie from 6-7 inches, bluegill around 5 inches.

We have plans to sample these reservoirs again in 2013.  Both were drawn down for irrigation this summer, but hopefully the fish can make it through the winter and we can get them filled with a good runoff of water in 2013.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #92 on: Nov 09, 2012, 12:26 PM »
What can you (G/F) tell me about the shad population in Grayrocks?

I've fished this lake for 3-4 years now and every year, by about mid-august I see a lot of baitfish...   Some of the baitfish swirls are baby drum, I got close enough to a big group that I could easily identify them... BUT....this last trip I saw a different shaped ball of baitfish and after casting into it I caught a bass that was puking up what were clearly threadfin shad minnows (1-2" long).

Couldn't believe it, but it was a welcome sight to see!  Guess I'm just wondering when they were planted, how many survive the winter, how their #'s have shown up in nettings, etc.... is this the only lake in the state with Threadfin shad?

Dear GemCitySlayer,

Gizzard shad were first stocked into Grayrocks Reservoir in 1981, they were then stocked for a few more years after, and since then they have been reproducing naturally. The population can fluctuate from year to year dependent on a number of variables, such as water levels and winter temperatures. The large swarms of baitfish you are observing are most likely spottail shiners, which were first introduced into the reservoir in 1982, and just like gizzard shad, have been reproducing on their own ever since. There are no records of threadfin shad being introduced into the reservoir. If you feel like you really did observe threadfin shad, please collect one next time, and bring it on by the Laramie Office for ID. The gizzard shad and spottail populations have really increased over the last 3-4 years with the welcomed addition of water.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #93 on: Nov 09, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I am also interested in knowing if diamond lake will ever become a fishery again?

Dear mobilerat,

Diamond Lake was last stocked with fish in 2001 and since that time the lake has not been stocked due to very low water levels. Due to a variety of reasons, water does not flow into Diamond Lake like it had in the past.  Water is a very important and expensive commodity, but we are constantly looking for ways to bring Diamond Lake back to life.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #94 on: Nov 09, 2012, 12:36 PM »
WYO Game and fish.

When was the last time the game and fish stocked brown trout in North Crow Reservoir?  How many get stocked annually?

Any chance we could see some tiger trout in there one day?

Dear GemCitySlayer,

Brown trout were last stocked in Upper North Crow Reservoir in 2005, when 2,542 were stocked at about 3-4 inches.  These brown trout have done extremely well and we have been seeing a fair number in our sampling well over 20 inches.  We don't stock brown trout annually, they are long lived and our main annually stocked predator are splake. We will stock brown trout again in the near future so they continue to provide diversity and a trophy opportunity at Upper North Crow Reservoir.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #95 on: Nov 09, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I was fishing at N. Crow this spring and had a 20"+ brown trout follow me in... I thought I was crazy because I had never heard of them being stocked in there but that explains it...

Thanks for the heads up.

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #96 on: Nov 09, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Dear GemCitySlayer,

Gizzard shad were first stocked into Grayrocks Reservoir in 1981, they were then stocked for a few more years after, and since then they have been reproducing naturally. The population can fluctuate from year to year dependent on a number of variables, such as water levels and winter temperatures. The large swarms of baitfish you are observing are most likely spottail shiners, which were first introduced into the reservoir in 1982, and just like gizzard shad, have been reproducing on their own ever since. There are no records of threadfin shad being introduced into the reservoir. If you feel like you really did observe threadfin shad, please collect one next time, and bring it on by the Laramie Office for ID. The gizzard shad and spottail populations have really increased over the last 3-4 years with the welcomed addition of water.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie
It was probably gizzard shad and I just guessed wrong.  Thanks for the information, you guys are great.  This "Ask the Wyoming Game and Fish" is the best part of this forum!!!

I had thought for a long time that there were too many mouths to feed in Grayrocks and not enough forage species.  But between the carp and drum and shiners and shad  (perch too)... that is quite a bit of food!

cspencer

« Reply #97 on: Apr 08, 2013, 04:24 PM »
What happen to Gellatt?

wyopro

« Reply #98 on: Apr 11, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Pretty sure Gellett winter killed...

Wyoming Game and Fish,

What are the chances of getting some differing species in some of the lakes around Laramie such as pike, walleye, croppie, etc...?

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #99 on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:14 PM »
What happen to Gellatt?

Dear cspencer,

Gelatt Lake has no natural reproducation and is stocked annually to create a quality sport fishery for anglers. The aeration system at Gelatt Lake had overwintered the lake for 6 consecutive years and sampling in 2012 indicated an average length of 18.7 inches for rainbow trout. The largest rainbow trout seen during sampling in 2012 was 25 inches and 8.4 pounds, but of course there were larger fish caught than that in 2012 by anglers. Over the last two years we have taken water quality measurements monthly before ice, during ice, and right after ice-off to monitor dissolved oxygen, pH, and other water quality parameters. In the winter of 2011/2012, the oxygen levels approached 0 in late January, but nettting indicated overwinter survival. This winter 2012/2013 the same patterned occured with oxygen levels reaching 0 in mid-January. However, no fish were caught during netting this spring and dead fish were observed at the lake. This pattern of low oxygen levels in late January is most likely a result of vegetation dying off and this probably occurs annually. Our sampling is but just a snapshot of the fishery, so when we do not catch fish it doesn't necessarily mean they are not there. The good news is that on this site, someone reported that their friend had caught a large trout this spring at Gelatt. In addition, Gelatt Lake has already been stocked and the 7-inch trout stocked this April will be 12 inches in June and over 16 inches by September.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #100 on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Pretty sure Gellett winter killed...

Wyoming Game and Fish,

What are the chances of getting some differing species in some of the lakes around Laramie such as pike, walleye, croppie, etc...?

Dear wyopro,

Laramie sits at an elevation that make waters around Laramie at the very fringe for the species you mentioned. Water temperatures, short growing season, etc. for these warm/cool water fish make Laramie an inhospitable environment. Although we do have some waters with species like yellow perch, like Hattie, Granite, near Laramie, most of the waters around Laramie are managed as trout fisheries, either stocked or wild. More appropriate habitat for these species is found in waters around Wheatland, Torrington, and Cheyenne. You can find crappie in Festo Lake, Grayrocks Reservoir, Hawk Springs Reservoir, Bump Sullivan Reservoir, Packers Lake to name a few. You can fish for walleye at Grayrocks Reservoir, Hawk Springs Reservoir, Springer Reservoir, Packers Lake, Rock Lake, Wheatland Reservoir #1. We don't have any pike waters in the Laramie Region, but about 4,800 tiger muskie were stocked into Grayrocks Reservoir in 2012. The addition of any of the species you mentioned, especially pike, to waters around Laramie like Hattie or Twin Buttes, would make managing them as quality trout fisheries difficult. If you would like to discuss this further, please stop by the Laramie Office and ask of one of the fisheries biologists. We would be happy to answer additional questions about this or anything else related to the management of your waters.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #101 on: Apr 16, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Could we potentially see alabama rigs made legal?

They are commonly called A-rigs.  Do a simple google search if you have never seen one.  It's a way to fish 5-6 swimbaits all on one rig.  I know it breaks the current # of hooks allowed on a lure but maybe that law could be changed?

It was invented in the south I believe and a lot of other states have legalized them... or allowed them in the first place.  I think it would be a fun way to fish for smallies and walleyes...   I don't really see the harm in them.

appleye

« Reply #102 on: Apr 17, 2013, 12:13 AM »
I've use the "A" rig and just use 3 swim baits and two blades. So far I've caught 1 walleye , one northern and several small mouth in Keyhole. You have got to use heavy line and they are heavy to cast for any length of time. Plying with the idea of trolling them a bit.

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #103 on: Apr 17, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Yeah I've thought of running one the way you did.  But it would be nice if we could use 5-6 swimbaits.

WGFFishBio

« Reply #104 on: Apr 18, 2013, 08:36 AM »
Could we potentially see alabama rigs made legal?

They are commonly called A-rigs.  Do a simple google search if you have never seen one.  It's a way to fish 5-6 swimbaits all on one rig.  I know it breaks the current # of hooks allowed on a lure but maybe that law could be changed?

It was invented in the south I believe and a lot of other states have legalized them... or allowed them in the first place.  I think it would be a fun way to fish for smallies and walleyes...   I don't really see the harm in them.
We have talked about the Alabama rig here at the office. Our discussion pretty much came to the point that at long as you didn't have more than 3 hooks, you would be OK. I would think you could still fish with 5 or 6 baits, as long as only 3 had hooks. So you could rig something up with 2 or 3 "false" baits with no hooks and 3 of the baits with hooks.
Hope this helps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.