FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PLUGS ????  (Read 1674 times)

old man river

PLUGS ????
« on: Feb 23, 2023, 09:21 AM »
    The word “Plug” was used many years ago to describe a lure that was handcarved from a block of wood, 
    but most modern day plugs are made from hollow plastic or molded plastic.
       Many avid anglers still consider wooden plugs the best lure having better action than similar ones made from plastic

ralph

myemmy

Re: PLUGS ????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2023, 01:55 PM »
Many good old wood plugs we all used years ago,heddon,flatfish,lazy Ike’s,and many more,that were made out of wood.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2023, 02:55 PM »
Rapalas are all still made of wood.
And they are also each hand tested before packaging.

Johnnh

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2023, 03:04 PM »
I got tons of plugs, lures, bobbers etc out of trees overhanging water when i was a teen.
The tradition continued when I was a lineman. We would often park along bridges and edges of waterways with our  bucket trucks during lunch and gather all the tackle off the lines. We gave lots of it to a small tackle shop and he gave stuff to the local kids.

I still have over 800 plugs in my tackle collection. Lots of plastic and about 100 or so wood.
Whatever is left goes to my kids when my time is over.
John

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2023, 01:41 PM »
I'd hate to have to guess how many I have accumulated.

fish on,

rivereddy

Johnnh

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2023, 07:28 PM »
Rivereddy,
My collection is a rough estimate.
I have 3 large plano boxes with the hanging trays that hold over 300 plugs each (just about full) , 2 large plano boxes with slide out trays that hold about 50 plugs each (all full): these are dedicated to trout and salmon and  the other pike and eyes.
4 more regular size plano boxes with slide out trays. These are full of smaller plugs: pop-r, small flat fish, small jitter bugs, etc.
I have dozens of 3600 & 3700 boxes that i use for day boxes.

All that tackle and we all still buy more.
John

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2023, 08:11 AM »
Each year when I'm on my 2 week trip in the UP, I take one day and my box of wooden baits and throw them all day. Catch  just as many with the old wooden baits as I do with the modern day ones! If your wooden baits are in decent shape guys that collect them will pay good money for them.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2023, 10:44 AM »
My dad got a bunch of them at an auction and I used them back when I was about 10 to 12 years old. (Late 1960's) Some of them were the ugliest things, and I was sure no bass in its right mind would hit them. But like Teach says they work! They would probably be collector's items now if I hadn't taken it upon myself to repaint them!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

old man river

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2023, 01:05 PM »
    I have used wood plugs - Oldies but Goodies,
   Hell I have  even Hung a few up in trees,   that is    HA HA :laugh:

ralph

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.