FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Salamanders??  (Read 7562 times)

Hood

Re: Salamanders??
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2006, 08:45 PM »
Fk....i think the red-spotted and eastern are the same but have 2 different names...those are definately the ones that i have seen in trout and have caught a few on them as well.....on that link the second picture, they sometimes have that color phase going.....all this trout talk and im goin panfishin tomorrow  ::)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Thanks for the link Hood, I learn something new every day on mff!  :thumbup_smilie:

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2006, 12:10 PM »
A friend of mine caught a 18" brown a few years back from a stream near home that had a big spring salamander ( the black ones with yellow spots ) in it's stomach. I have never seen one of these in a Trout's stomach and I didn't think they would eat them. I'm not sure if they're legal to use for bait here in Pa. or not. They wouldn't be my first choice for bait anyway......WK :-\
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

keva

« Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 2006, 08:15 PM »
While we're on the subject, last year a caught a red salamander or newt. It was in the water in a small stream. It had a tail like a newts but was about 9" long. What was it specifically?

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2006, 09:09 AM »
I have alot of newts in my ponds, and the fish will not eat them....I had them in an aquarium with small bullhead and some newts in there, and once, the bullhead tried to eat a newt. It spit it out, I believe they produce a type of toxin.

To keva...I sounds to me that you might have caught a mudpuppy. Where are you located?

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Pasquatch you are correct newts and some salamanders are poisonous. There toxin can very from species but be as mild as fowl tasting or smelling to death if eaten.

More toxic animals have warning colorations to there bodies waring everyone to stay away. Common warning colors are black and red, black and white and black and yellow. They will also do lots of posturing to show off there colors on there back or under there belly.

Mudpuppies are not poisonous but it is illegal in most areas to use them as bait.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Hood

« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2006, 02:42 PM »
They are not all poisonous, the eastern newt undergoes a few changes in its life and in one of its stages underwater is not poisonous and can be consumed. Brookies love them.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.