FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead fishing  (Read 2584 times)

keva

Steelhead fishing
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:38 PM »
I was wondering if y'all good give me some advice on steelhead fishing. I have never done it before, but would like to try my hand at it. When and where do they run? Where can I find some good information on steelhead fishing? Perhaps a good book to read on the subject. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

kc

Re: Steelhead fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:01 PM »
2012 Salmon River- Salmon and Steelhead thread. There is 342 pages of reports and tips on the current conditions.

keva

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Thanks, I will look through through it!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2012, 04:48 PM »
Just FYI - there are TONS of places in this state to fish steelhead.  Don't limit yourself to thinking that is the only place....virtually all of the Lake Ontario and Lake Erie tributaries in this state will get runs of steelhead.  Usually starts in the fall - the fish will begin running into the streams and rivers.  They will continue to trickle in to the system through srping and spawn in the spring, at which point they will drop back to the lake.  Many fish will wionter over in the streams and rivers, and some will run the river in the spring just prior to spawning.   To be successful you will need to understand where they hold in the river, what type of caits they are keying in on and focus on the correct presentation.  All are critical if you want top be successful on a regular basis instead of just accidentally hitting fish here and there.  Feel free to PM me with specific questions....

joshjj2010

« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I fish oswego river and the owner of larrys sapmon shop is a good guy to hook u up. Hes on here. Hey may chime in. But i have most sucess on drifting egg sacs  and flys. U can do whats call bottom bouncwing wich is haveing ur bait/ fly on the bottom of ur line and ur split shots/ sinkers 3feet up. U can youtube steelhead rigs. Some guys like to fish beads as well wich simulate a trout egg.. you can also float fish.wich is as i said hook on the bottom 3 ft lead then ur weights. Then your bobber or float . You gotta keep ur bait up off the bottom in order to float fish right.  As ice geek had said u gotta know where ur fish are holdin aswell. These fish will hold in slow moving pool or drop offs. Aswell as shady areas and overhangs. Tackle wise i use a 9 ft medium action rod and a okuma reel. And 8lb trilean xt tough. Now u dnt have to use the same set up. Its just my set up and what i like. Whatever rod u choose male sure its not as stiff as a bord. If its stiff u will have to use heavy line. I dnt recomend useing anything over 8lb test. Some guys liie to use a leader not steel leaders but like 6lb test. The steelies are line shy. If u have any questions shoot me a pm

Oh and if u can get ur hands on a trout book read it will learn a ton

keva

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Thanks for the information, I may shoot you guys some questions once I get back up in NY in a few days here. I have done plenty of trout fishing, just not after steelies. I am located in central NY so going out there will be a bit of a trip, but I am determined to try it as I am not sure how much more time I will spend in NY state. I am a junior in college, once I graduate I have no clue where I will end up. Determined to make some trips and experience all New York has to offer before moving away. I use a 6.5 medium action St. Croix for bass. I know the length is a downside, but will it be critical? I will swap out my line to 8 lb test before going. After finals I will do some reading and watch some youtube videos on the subject. Thanks again!

joshjj2010

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Its not absolutly critical but u may have to run 10lb. And steelies are very line shy. I got a 9ft medium action at larrys in oswego for 55 and i cought some huge kings with it this year. The bigger the rod the smaller lb test u can u without a lotta break offs. The rod absorbs a lot of the shock wich takes strain off ur line. I c guys running a 12ft pole with 4 lb and landing some big fish. I personally wouldnt go below 6lb but it goes to show what longer rods can do. Oswego river and salmon river are big rivers wich leads to big fish anywhere from 2lbs to 15 lb stellies

keva

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Hmm. I have a spare reel, so i may rig one with 8lb and one with 10lb. Let the fish choose which one to stick with. How is the fishing as far as crowds and ideal time of day. If there are places that rent out fly fishing equipment, I would be interested. I work 4-8, so am thinking of driving out after work. Sleeping in the car for the night and hitting the water first thing in the morning.

joshjj2010

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Salmon river has been hot all weekend. I didnt get out to oswego but its usually verry good in the a.m. and tge water has come up so it should b grest fishing and should have s lotta fresh fish. If u go to oswego  go off the wall behind the rits. Just walk the wall folloing the current. If u get into the water the spill way the dam and down stream nxt to and emergency rafts hsve always produced for me. As for salmon river i hear altmar has been on fire. Look at the salmon river thread a lotta helpful guys that will point u in the right direction if ur heading up there. Snagger will most definetly help u out

keva

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2012, 11:50 PM »
Thanks, odds are I won't make it out until next week. That should give some time to research it and come up with some more questions. I appreciate the tips.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:26 AM »

Your short rod will put you at a huge disadvantage. Short rods get snagged up easy, you'll have a very hard time getting a correct drift.. But if your on a tight budget and you can't afford a rod you'll use once, you'll have too try too make it work..Let me know when your headed this way, I got lenders I could let you use.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

keva

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:37 AM »
Thanks snagger! I will let you know once I make solid plans to go out. Just got back into New York last night. Stopped at bass pro and picked up some bait, looked at their rods just did not have the money to spend. While there  realized my small trout net would probably be ineffective. I imagine with the light line you would want a good net while fishing?

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Most guys dont use nets, they just get the fish to the shore line.....guides all carry them because they want their customers to get the fish and take pictures etc...most guys find them a hassle and jut another item to carry. That all being said, I bring my striper net with me.
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.