FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass boat restoration  (Read 3558 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Bass boat restoration
« on: Mar 28, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Hey all,

I am in the process of restoring my 2008 Triton TR165 saltwater edition. I am currently removing all of the carpet as well as the hard glue that is under it. It looks like it will take some time but a few hours here and there and it should be ready in a few weeks. I am not putting a new carpet down as I do use this boat in the bay and the salt is what killed my original carpet. I ordered 1 gallon of the grey Slip Doctors non skid epoxy and plan on rolling this on once the glue is removed and my edges are taped up. This will make it VERY easy to clean the boat after any trip. However, I am also in need of new boat seats and the "wood" grain that goes around the console as well as the small piece in front of the trolling motor since they are very faded. Does anyone know where to find these? Worst case I can just repaint them and put them back on but I rather not. The final step will be to buff out the entire boat and use a clear coat for a nice shine that has been missing for a few seasons.

Any help would be appreciated.
Wicked Wec

sisabdulax

Re: Bass boat restoration
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I am curious to see the slip doctor once its done. I would like to remove carpet in my boat as well.  Please post pics.

Mike

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Will do! Should be another week or 2.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:52 AM »
or more like 3 or 4 weeks. Will not stop raining but hey, April showers do bring May flowers.
Wicked Wec

sisabdulax

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Hear ya there, one day beautiful next snow here!!! I was hoping to drop in boat this weekend, see if my parts got painted.

Roccus

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2018, 02:13 PM »
don't need the rain... I need the sun to dry out the lawn so I can get my boat out of storage...Raining here today.. snowed yesterday. Still 12" of snow in the easterly facing side of my boat... :(

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2018, 03:28 PM »
don't need the rain... I need the sun to dry out the lawn so I can get my boat out of storage...Raining here today.. snowed yesterday. Still 12" of snow in the easterly facing side of my boat... :(

I hear ya! I still have 2 piles of snow from that 3rd nor easter but with this rain they should be gone over night. On the bright side I turned the battery on last night and the Merc 150 on the Sea fox started right up! As soon as I can finish the Triton and her Johnson 90, she is going out as well.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2018, 09:28 AM »
I need to fix a lovely fuel leak on the connection that splits the main line into the four individual lines for each carb...looks like alcohol made the airbix seal swell too...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2018, 10:03 AM »
I need to fix a lovely fuel leak on the connection that splits the main line into the four individual lines for each carb...looks like alcohol made the airbix seal swell too...

Good luck Jon.

Right now, all of my carpet is officially off and all of the glue is sanded off. Time to buff her up and then apply the Non skid epoxy. I still cannot find a replacement wood imitation dashboard though so the faded is staying on for now. Once again, rain rain rain.
Wicked Wec

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2018, 10:11 AM »
I know they make a wood grain contact paper. It's like a vinyl with an adhesive backing.  That might dress up your dash board.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2018, 01:11 PM »
What did you settle on for non skid epoxy?

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2018, 04:01 PM »
Slip Dr Grey Non Skid Epoxy. I got a Gallon for 125 plus shipping and i should be able to get 2-3 coats with it. Going to tape off the sides and run the edges with a brush and then use a roller for the rest. I am doing the front deck, back deck and center deck. all of the sides will remain as they are but I am going to buff everything that will not be painted first. Should look good and perform how i want it to.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Nice Ill have to check that out.  I have some on my floor from the previous owner and a piece came up after power washing.  So time to redo.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Nice Ill have to check that out.  I have some on my floor from the previous owner and a piece came up after power washing.  So time to redo.

Jon -  what came up, a piece of carpet or a piece of the epoxy on your boat? I actually never power wash any of my fiberglass boats as it does damage to the gel coat but if I am not mistaken, you have a metal boat. I will send pictures once it is completed which may be this weekend.
Wicked Wec

sisabdulax

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Please do post pic and thoughts. Just buils a casting platform on mine want to do a coating like that there.

Jon -  what came up, a piece of carpet or a piece of the epoxy on your boat? I actually never power wash any of my fiberglass boats as it does damage to the gel coat but if I am not mistaken, you have a metal boat. I will send pictures once it is completed which may be this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.