FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Engine issue - 90hp Johnson  (Read 7675 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Engine issue - 90hp Johnson
« on: Apr 24, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Hey all,

I have a 2008 Triton TR165 with a 90hp Johnson saltwater edition motor and I have not run it since it was last winterized 2 seasons ago. When she was put to sleep all was fine however, i started her up yesterday without any issues but she was smoking a bit at first and sort of "puttering" until about the 15 time i started her she ran fine in neutral until i shut her down. I then started her up again and when giving her gas she would bog down and shut off. Any idea what i should be looking for? I am tempted to drop her off to my local marina but at 120 per hour, i rather look into it a bit more first. Bad fuel? filter?

Again, no issues starting up but she definitely is not running smooth and she doesnt like getting gas. I may run her again today to see if just burning some fuel will help.
Wicked Wec

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
Re: Engine issue - 90hp Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Had an issue very much like that a few years ago. Wasp had built a nest in my air in-take. Motor wasn't getting enough air and would shut down when I gave it some gas....Just something to check...h2l

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Had an issue very much like that a few years ago. Wasp had built a nest in my air in-take. Motor wasn't getting enough air and would shut down when I gave it some gas....Just something to check...h2l

I will take a look today. Thanks!
Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Check to make sure your tank vent is clear and not vacuum locking. Open the gas cap and see if that helps.

Bowmandan

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2018, 11:06 PM »
Might also change spark plugs.   Might have fowled them upon start up after winterization

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Might also change spark plugs.   Might have fowled them upon start up after winterization

You are the 3'rd person that suggested this. I am going to change them all this week.

Jethro - I will also open up the gas cap.

For now...... more rain.

Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2018, 08:39 AM »
 here's the thing... it sat for 2 =years... any fuel left in the carburetor bowls has evaporated leaving behind a residue( this happened with good gas too...it's not all ethanol's fault... corn fuel has been around a long time...any engine built in the mid 80's on can handle it ...) the needles and seats in the carbs. will be hard ( some times they re soften but not always)...most likely leaking gas...even a vey small amount will cause idling problems  ...the fuel pump most likely has dried out as well.. buy carb kits and new needle and seats.. clean the carbs replace the needed parts... replace the fuel pump and primer ball  and it'll run like new... you'll spend less than $200...

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2018, 11:37 AM »
here's the thing... it sat for 2 =years... any fuel left in the carburetor bowls has evaporated leaving behind a residue( this happened with good gas too...it's not all ethanol's fault... corn fuel has been around a long time...any engine built in the mid 80's on can handle it ...) the needles and seats in the carbs. will be hard ( some times they re soften but not always)...most likely leaking gas...even a vey small amount will cause idling problems  ...the fuel pump most likely has dried out as well.. buy carb kits and new needle and seats.. clean the carbs replace the needed parts... replace the fuel pump and primer ball  and it'll run like new... you'll spend less than $200...

X2

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Roccus -  Thank you very much for this post. I am no marine mechanic and I KNOW you have worked on many boats and engines before. Once the rain stops I am going to drain the remaining fuel, change the spark plugs and make sure i dont have any nests in there. If that fails I will do some research on how to change the needles and seats and also run a carb cleanig kit through her. I will let you know the outcome!
Wicked Wec

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Grab a can of Seafoam and put it in the tank too. It won't hurt a thing and will probably do wonders for the fuel system once you get it running. Good luck.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Nice post Joe.  Good luck Mike.  I need to fix a fuel leak on my 140 and replace the starter still.  Also if your johnson is 2 stroke and has a vro pump...the diaphram breaks and causes similar symptoms.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Thanks all. It looks like it will be dry tonight so I am going to mess around with her a bit. Vacation right around the corner so either I am fixing her or someone else is. I am also in the market for a new Trolling motor and Cranking battery. Any recommendations? 55lb thrust Minnkota.
Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Thanks all. It looks like it will be dry tonight so I am going to mess around with her a bit. Vacation right around the corner so either I am fixing her or someone else is. I am also in the market for a new Trolling motor and Cranking battery. Any recommendations? 55lb thrust Minnkota.

My next upgrade for the boat will be replacing the original 12 volt Powerdrive 55 with a 24 volt, 80lb thrust Terrova with I-Pilot. As for batteries I will always buy Interstate, they seem to last longer than the cheaper ones if treated right.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:12 AM »
That's funny because I run dual Interstates on my CC. I was also going to get them for the bass boat but was seeing what others like as well.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:18 AM »

I ran Minn kota for years always the fresh water version ..in salt water.. they never came off the boat... they lasted just about 3 years before they disintegrated.. I loved them... I bought a salt water version.. 55 lb thrust salt water version.. biggest hunk of garbage I ever spent money on... constant issues.. never made it more than a week without developing lower unit  leaks... breaking bolts or the electrical problems...one night I took off with it down... 115HP of 2 stroke Merc ripped it right off the transom... best thing that  ever happened.. because it spent more time in the shop than on my boat.. I replaced it with a Motor guide.. 12 Volt 55LBs of thrust.. I'm going on 7 years with it and it performs as good as the day I bought it... it spends all summer on the back of my boat in a slip.. and has never been off the boat.. stronger than the Minn Kotta too...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.