FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Engine issue - 90hp Johnson  (Read 7679 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Engine issue - 90hp Johnson
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I run a riptide st 55lb witb ipilot but have not used in salt ever.  Bought it used.  Works well.  However I know you use yours a lot Joe so thats a recommendation id consider if I did use mine in salt.  I like the 12v 55 with 2 group 34's.  I cant kill the pair in a day of constant trolling.

Roccus

« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I run a riptide st 55lb witb ipilot but have not used in salt ever.  Bought it used.  Works well.  However I know you use yours a lot Joe so thats a recommendation id consider if I did use mine in salt.  I like the 12v 55 with 2 group 34's.  I cant kill the pair in a day of constant trolling.

I have more hours on my trolling motor than my main engine... Group 34 is the way to go... I have an on board smart charger ( Promar 36volt {3 12's}..smart charger)I plug the boat in every night when I'm done fishing... battery power is never a problem... as I have the Group 34 deep cycle for the trolling motor... a group 34 deep cycle for electronics only and a group 34 starting battery that runs the engine only...power is distributed for the engine/charge system through a blue seas ACR and battery switch... the trolling motor battery is also under the console and wired via 2 Gauge wire to a quick disconnect in the stern next to the trolling motor... all those batteries weigh more than another person!

Roccus

« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:58 AM »

rip tides are supposed to be really good( and I had phenomenal luck with the F/W version minn kottas)... that's why I bought the one I had.. I just got a lemmon..it happens... in the end I was better off.. but I ran of patience with that particular motor.. and I have the patience of a steel trap!

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Apr 26, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I have the 2 34's in the bow and two 27's in the back for cranking and accessories.  I use 2 2 bank chargers and do the same.  Plug them in end of day and then im always good to go.  Still rocking flooded lead but have thought about AGM. 

Roccus

« Reply #19 on: Apr 26, 2018, 01:12 PM »
tried the AGM route( group 27)...saw no benefit... in 2 years they were junk... I normally get 4 years out of a battery and replace them at that time..no matter how good they are.. before I have an issue... I tried swimming home once.. not fun!..AGM's are great in my  ice electronics and 4 wheeler... after that IMHO..not worth the extra money.

boondox

« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2018, 04:28 PM »
There is three posible reasons for the problem one is fuel  either insufficient flow of  or bad fuel .. others causes are spark.. as in plugs like not gapped correctly any more  or not enough spark either coil pack or  leaking sparks threw wires to ground can be seen at night with light off.. or there is a gasket leak some were like the carb gasket usally this is a high idle followed by a stall when accelerating. .or a eratic idle with infiltrating air ... then just stalling when fuel is applied.

My bet is it is fuel problem like insufficient amount hitting the carb could be because of a vent tube plugged or a fuel filter or carb..  look for spiders webs or moths  in the fuel vent area when we winterize some times bugs get in.. . try cleaning tank vent tube with compressed air.. if needed??? But probllay carb cleaning  or fuel filter are the probable causes .. could even be a spider crawled in the fuel nipple connector if you had fuel hose off etc.. or primer bulb is bad etc .. investigate all fuel probability before you take in any how best of luck at it..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2018, 06:25 AM »
ok-

changed spark plugs and she definitely fires up stronger but issue not resolved.

checked and do not see any bug or web activity at all.

opened up gas and drained almost all of it.

last thing i want to check tonight is the primer bulb.

so if i were to take my best bet after listening to her first hand, i am betting its either bad fuel or maybe even the fuel pump. I am going to dump new fuel into her this weekend and see what happens. if this fails i think ive reached the limit of what i can do.

i also checked the fuel filter and its clean.... it was also full after running her so i actually think she is getting enough fuel.... just old fuel.
Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2018, 07:03 AM »
just old fuel.

So it's 2 year old fuel, right? If it wasn't treated before storage (and even if it was) I'm willing to bet that is your problem. Fuel sucks these days. My motorcycle won't run right on month old gas.

dukhnter8

« Reply #23 on: Apr 27, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Everything I hear about gas nowadays says its junk after a few months, even with stabilizers added. An old mechanic told me that is the first thing he does with any motor that has those issues and brings it to him to fix. I would definitely try new fuel and then go from there, especially since she ran better with the new plugs also check them to see how they look before running with fresh gas.

Also I only run 93 non ethanol in my engines.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #24 on: Apr 27, 2018, 08:45 AM »
I had just under half a tank of gas and was able to siphon out almost all of it. I still have about 1/8 of a tank left and cannot get it out. Do you guys think adding new fuel up to the half tank line will be ok or does it all have to be taken out first? ( not sure how i can get the rest out did all i could last night) I will add stabilizer as well.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #25 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:26 AM »
I think you should be fine adding as much fresh fuel as you can with the stabilizer.

But if you do want to get all the old fuel out how about a siphon?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:38 AM »
I think you should be fine adding as much fresh fuel as you can with the stabilizer.

But if you do want to get all the old fuel out how about a siphon?

I used a siphon and the rest would not come out. I think its because its so low to the ground.. .i really dont know.
Wicked Wec

sisabdulax

« Reply #27 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Fresh High grade fuel you should be fine.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #28 on: Apr 27, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Fresh High grade fuel you should be fine.

Thats my plan. I will get the highest grade I can and fill her up halfway.
Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #29 on: Apr 27, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Thats my plan. I will get the highest grade I can and fill her up halfway.

Add some Seafoam too.

https://seafoamsales.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.