FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bought a new toy  (Read 3202 times)

taxid

Bought a new toy
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:25 PM »
It's a Hobie Mirage Sport kayak. 9 feet 6 inches long. 2014 model but has never been used as it was a demo model. Paid $1499.00 and picked it up from a dealer in Cincinnati, Ohio to save on shipping. Can't wait to try out the mirage drive. I wanted to be able to operate it hands free while fishing or trolling. Also has a rudder. I may mount a mini downrigger on it too. Thinking of using my Vexilar for a fish finder.

You can tell this is American made as the quality is commenserate with the price. The plastic is very durable and almost seems like fiberglass.

Anybody else have a Hobie and want to share your experience with it?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
Re: Bought a new toy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:41 AM »
One heck of a toy, awesome!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Spider1

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Nice! Congrats on the new kayak! From what I've read, it's a great little kayak. Easy to tote and get on the water. Have fun with it, remember though, the mirage drive is a great thing but they are mechanical and take a bit of a beating so be sure to learn how to maintain it and bring some spare parts, wire, and tools along... just in case.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 06:03 AM »
Nice find. Good luck with it....h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 06:37 AM »

Nice , enjoy your new toy

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Very cool!

taxid

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Thank you for all the kind comments. Sounds like good advice Spider1.

Hope to get some time soon to get used to it in in one of the ponds on the property.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spider1

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 04:06 AM »
Sounds like a plan! Slime it up!

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Have never used them but watch the Hobie outdoor show a bit and they seem to hold up to some guys catching some big fish and many different types of water that the show takes them into. Congrats on the new toy, I bet you will be happy with it.

oatkasut

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 03:24 PM »
There goes the lawn! Have fun and let us know how it works out.Happy oaring!

taxid

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Thank you for all the kind words. Here's a better picture of it at the dealer before I picked it up.

seamonkey84

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 07:22 PM »
I just looked into that peddle system after seeing this thread, very interesting that there’s a hole right in the bottom of the kayak where you stick the drive system into.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I just looked into that peddle system after seeing this thread, very interesting that there’s a hole right in the bottom of the kayak where you stick the drive system into.

And a plastic block that pops in if you are not using it.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Love it! I'm seriously drooling over a Hobie Outback Mirage. Maybe next year.

Spider1

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Keep yer eye on craigslist. There's an Outback right now with turbo fins, fish finder and other bells and whistles for $1400 in Jersey. Heck, there's a Sport for $1100 too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.