FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560278 times)

62 & Done

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3900 on: Jul 14, 2023, 12:18 PM »
LOL  that's just what I need !  another challenge     Thanks oat, will give it a try

lowaccord66

« Reply #3901 on: Jul 14, 2023, 01:19 PM »
LOL  that's just what I need !  another challenge     Thanks oat, will give it a try

I dont know that we will have much of a trico season with all of the high water. 

oatkasut

« Reply #3902 on: Jul 14, 2023, 01:49 PM »
We have had no high water here since May15!!

Bartman44

« Reply #3903 on: Jul 14, 2023, 08:01 PM »
Lucky you, my local rivers are a mess but I've been hitting the ocean lately which can handle these daily downpours a bit better.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3904 on: Jul 15, 2023, 11:36 AM »
Very fast action indeed. I was a little surprised ....  Does if this makes sense? :   I felt myself casting in an upward motion and the line shot like a bullet for 30 ' then just stopped and the remainder of line, leader and fly just landed in a heap.  So I made an effort to cast horizontally ( even with the water surface ) and found myself making a much better cast.   
   You are definably right rg, I found I had to slow down  tough for a guy like me

Every rod has its own rhythm. I have quite a few fly rods. They’re all different in one way or another and still, the same. In time you won’t think about how you’re casting, just where and how you want to land a fly. I get sloppy sometimes. Mostly because I fish a lot for gills and crappie. They’re not particularly fussy about how a fly lands on the water. Sometimes the more the disturbance the better.

I’m usually thinking more about my target than my cast. But most times I just like the feel of nice loops and a soft landing fly.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #3905 on: Jul 15, 2023, 05:31 PM »
Tried casting a tiny popper for a while. got a bunch of line twist in my tippet so much that I cut it off and changed it. Is this typical ?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3906 on: Jul 15, 2023, 05:38 PM »
Not really.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #3907 on: Jul 15, 2023, 09:11 PM »
Line will twist more readily if you are casting  bigger flies and also as a function of the cast itself. Try to finish the cast with the line tight to the reel  to minimize the twist.   I  get wind knots as well  and do get twisting after awhile and so changing the tippet or leader end  is prudent.
Even after catching a number of fish on the same fly, I retie it to avoid  it's loss.  It is only the good flies you lose!  Good luck

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3908 on: Jul 16, 2023, 03:14 AM »
When I’m tossing poppers or any surface flies for that matter, I generally use a straight piece of 3 or 4x not more than 4’-6’ long. I don’t notice any line twist but I do get a wind knot or 2 every once in a while when my casting isn’t so good. I’m sure it’s different fishing for trout in moving water.

You’re right about only losing the good flies.that’s why I always tie at least 6 of a pattern and only take 5 with me. Sometimes it’s hard to remember just how you tied that new pattern you’re working on. It’s good to have one in storage for reference.

62 & Done

« Reply #3909 on: Jul 16, 2023, 10:13 AM »
as always,  good stuff here    thanks guys

lowaccord66

« Reply #3910 on: Jul 18, 2023, 03:58 PM »
We have had no high water here since May15!!

Where is here?  Not that I want to endulge in my least favorite hatch...but the lack fly fishing for trout here is enough to take a ride.

oatkasut

« Reply #3911 on: Jul 18, 2023, 04:26 PM »
western and central NY

62 & Done

« Reply #3912 on: Sep 22, 2023, 07:23 AM »
Got a few yesterday. With the summer heat behind us I've got a little itch again. Going to have to squeeze in a few more days during deer season. Ended up with 7 gills, 4 perch,1 rocky, and one very angry largemouth who had me stuck in the weeds twice!  Looking forward to next spring when they're in the shallows again.

Bartman44

« Reply #3913 on: Sep 22, 2023, 07:52 AM »
Wat to go, nice haul. Is that a Fenwick glass rod? The first flyrod I purchased was a Fenwick fiberglass.

62 & Done

« Reply #3914 on: Sep 22, 2023, 09:44 AM »
It is !  It's an oldie that I acquired in the early 70's by trading an old car to my cousin. He got the short end on that deal.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.