FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Working on camp -- UPDATE 7/31  (Read 11159 times)

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
Re: Working on camp UPDATE PICS 7/31
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2006, 11:59 AM »
We took some "city buddies" up to the camp on Friday morning for our annual guy's weekend up north.  They don't hunt, but we've been dragging them up there once or twice a year since college.  They came even though they knew they were going to be put to work.  We finished hanging the paneling, put in the shower, and built a closet. 

The heat was pretty bad and required treatment with a special medicine that I "found."  It worked pretty well but required many, many doses. ;D

Everything went smoothly so we had plenty of time to drink and act like idiots.  It was great to see everybody from up north too.  At one point on Saturday we had 20 guys there.  Of course most of them showed up after the work was done.  We killed two 1/2 barrels and I feel like it today. :sick: 

Another successful weekend in the northwoods.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Pikeguy

Re: Working on camp -- UPDATE 7/31
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2006, 12:14 PM »
Nice! 2  1/2 barrels?? That's all 20 Wisconsinites could handle? lol  ;D

carpcatcher

« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Looks like it's gonna be a super nice camp when your done. So tell us, who won the golfball throwing game ???. That is a good game alternative to horseshoe's when you can't put in pit's  and rip up the grass.
     Jim
Love 2 fish

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2006, 05:56 AM »
Thanks for the update Lucas, everything looks well. Looks like the cabin is coming along well. Did those boys from the city give you any decorating tips? ::) That game ya'll are playing looks interesting, golfball throwiing? I have a game I make here, we call it washer pitching. I will see if I can dig up a picture. Well Done Lucas. 8)

Mike

kappy

« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2006, 10:26 AM »
what is the golfball throwing game? I knew they were not tossing shoes
looked like the beanbag game,, we play that in NY   make some bags with plastic pellets,, build a board with one hole in it   great game  . nice camp too.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2006, 11:19 AM »
Looks like it's gonna be a super nice camp when your done. So tell us, who won the golfball throwing game ???. That is a good game alternative to horseshoe's when you can't put in pit's  and rip up the grass.
     Jim

Thanks for the update Lucas, everything looks well. Looks like the cabin is coming along well. Did those boys from the city give you any decorating tips? ::) That game ya'll are playing looks interesting, golfball throwiing? I have a game I make here, we call it washer pitching. I will see if I can dig up a picture. Well Done Lucas. 8)

Mike

what is the golfball throwing game? I knew they were not tossing shoes
looked like the beanbag game,, we play that in NY   make some bags with plastic pellets,, build a board with one hole in it   great game  . nice camp too.

We call that game Dingleballs but it goes by a million other names -- Ladder Golf, Polish Golf, Bola Toss etc.  Go to laddergolf.com and you'll get the idea.  They sell the sets online for way too much so we just build our own.  I've probably built 40 or so sets for friends and for a charity tournament we put on last year.  It's deceptively easy and very addicting.  You can hit the ladder consistently, but the balls fly all over.  I can play dingleballs effectively long after I've had too much "aiming fluid" to play cornhole or pitch washers well.   We play ALL THE TIME -- even on the ice when we go out with wives and kids.

We played for 5 hours on Saturday.  The games are pretty short unless you get people who are good because you can cancel out each other's points.  I won 5 in a row and then gave up my spot because it was too hot in the sun.  Then I came back out and lost 5 in a row. :(

Here are a couple of pics from the tournament last year to give you a better idea of the ladder.
Rungs are 2'
Risers are 1'
The balls are tied 2' apart.

Get out and build your own.  I have a copy of the rules that I wrote for the tourney, but they are on my home computer.  Let me know if you want me to send a copy.  It's too long to get into here.

kappy

« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2006, 11:39 AM »
cool looks like fun   thanks for the details, do you screw an eyelet into the gold balls?
I would like the rules if you don't mind looks like a fun game for sure.. never seen it
around here Rochester NY  and possibly some instructions for building my own
I think I am  hooked and I have not even tried it  thanks again
email is  [email protected]

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Lucas,

Monkeys are funny! ;) Yeah, what are the balls made out of. Details Man, Details. ;D

Mike

Pikeguy

« Reply #23 on: Aug 01, 2006, 12:28 PM »
Lucas,
 Yeah, what are the balls made out of.

Mike

What do you think he is? A doctor?    ;D

carpcatcher

« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2006, 12:56 PM »
I thought everyone knew about this game. All you need is 2 twelve foot peices of plastic conduit. Cut them into 9 pc's 24" and 6pc's 12" long. For fittings you need six 90's and 6 t's. For the balls, it's just two golfball's with holes drilled thru and a string tying them together. I've seen some people glue the ladder's together but I didn't glue mine so that I can just diassemble and keep in a little duffle bag for transport. If you guys like throwing shoes or washers this is just as fun. The only thing that I did to my set was to dye the sets of ball different colors so there wasn't any bickering. As stated in a previous post, things can get swinging around pretty quick and you can loose track of which are which.
        Jim
Love 2 fish

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 01, 2006, 01:21 PM »
Lucas,
Monkeys are funny! ;) Yeah, what are the balls made out of. Details Man, Details. ;D
Mike

Mine are made out of equal parts steel and "essence of Chuck Norris."   :w00t:

The dingleballs , as carpcatcher said, are golfballs.  Tie them on a 2' length of cotton clothesline or para/shock cord.  Nylon is too stiff to let them wing around and bounce off each other.  I drill them out, then drill a countersink in the back side, pull the knotted cord down into the countersink, and fill the countersink with shoe goo.  Three sets of two balls per team.  I made 12 dozen individual sets for the tourney and I didn't want them coming apart, so that may be overkill.

For the ladder just follow carp's directions and my pictures.  I would refrain from gluing them.  The whole thing fits nicely in a generic stuff sack from Wally world, if you can take it apart.

The rules are all over the place as far as the details.  I've played it about a dozen different ways, depending on who I'm with at the time.  Most of the time:
Top rung:3 points
Middle: 2
Bottom: 1
But you can reverse that if you want more of a challenge.  The bottom one is harder to hit.
Points cancel each other out.  Example:  After everyone has thrown red has 7 points remaining on the rack and white has 4.  Red nets 3 points for that inning.  Play to 21 without going over, win by two.  Ladders are set at 20' apart for a quick game, 40' for a bigger challenge.
A few variations:
Only balls on the same rung cancel each other
Three balls of the same color on the same rung doubles your points
Call your shot

As long as you agree on the rules before you start, you can play however you want.  Enjoy!

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #26 on: Aug 01, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Just found this site.  The rules are made clear here, though they differ a great deal from the way we play.  Another name for it that I hadn't heard.

http://www.playmonkeyball.com/

OTIS

« Reply #27 on: Aug 01, 2006, 08:56 PM »
The golf balls are 24 inches appart?

Thanks for the game details.  The camp is looking great, it really makes me miss our old camp.  I'm sure there will be tons of stories to come out of that camp.  Thank goodness walls can't talk!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #28 on: Aug 02, 2006, 08:08 AM »
The golf balls are 24 inches appart?

Thanks for the game details.  The camp is looking great, it really makes me miss our old camp.  I'm sure there will be tons of stories to come out of that camp.  Thank goodness walls can't talk!
Yes, 24" apart.  Walls can't talk... but I can... just wait ;D

OTIS

« Reply #29 on: Aug 02, 2006, 11:52 AM »
I envy you, 20 years later and we still blackmale each other with tales from camp!

Watch out for the PURPLE PEOPLE EATER!!!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.