FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring Striper migration  (Read 20484 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Spring Striper migration
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 05:51 AM »
pogies are starting to rebound in my neck of the woods around bourne. have seen a decent amount in the canal the last couple of years as well.

Yup.  There used to be a ton of them in the canal when I started fishing there. Now it seems the main bait is macks.

Roccus

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 11:10 AM »
 I've seen a big increase in the number of blue backs this season. We had pogies around last season for the first time in a decade... then the pogie boats came in and scooped them all up..

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Thats interesting Joe.  I hunted for those bluebacks hard late last season, found some gannets diving but no giant schools.  There are some pogies in the canal but as of this am things remained quiet from what Im told.

Roccus

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Thats interesting Joe.  I hunted for those bluebacks hard late last season, found some gannets diving but no giant schools.  There are some pogies in the canal but as of this am things remained quiet from what Im told.
.. you need that big bait to hold the slobs... I'm  holding out hope for a good season...I'm bringing my own gas into the marina.. after last season debacle.. I'm not trusting any gas bought on the water...

]those blue backs are a major spring time big fish staple.. they sustain them on their migration north... any other food source is a bonus.. it gives me great hope to see so many...we used to trailer down to pleasant bay ( before the breach)... spend the night catching herring and be out of bait 2 hours  after sun rise... anything less than 500 lbs of bass was a bad morning!

Maybe those pogies were the scouts...PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

lowaccord66

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 12:01 PM »
I love the enthusiasm Joe.  I can't wait.  A 50 was taken in the canal already and I have confirmed a bass that weighed 48 was nailed this week.  Im fishing 9pm until at least 8am Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night.  Canal bike is ready and I am also considering some spots north of the canal maybe as far up as Crane.  I bet there's some bass by the ipswitch...

Roccus

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 02:01 PM »
I love the enthusiasm Joe.  I can't wait.  A 50 was taken in the canal already and I have confirmed a bass that weighed 48 was nailed this week.  Im fishing 9pm until at least 8am Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night.  Canal bike is ready and I am also considering some spots north of the canal maybe as far up as Crane.  I bet there's some bass by the ipswitch...
.. the enthusiasm isn't what it once was...I've been doing this for 50 years... I hope I live long enough to complete the goal of 20 ( fish over 50 lbs.)... 2 to go... I can do it in a single night if I get the right school of fish  ( in 2014 I took a 54 and a 56 lb fish back to back casts... I took 3 over 50 including a 61 the first week of July in '86 and a 58 form Head of the meadow beach that  September)... ) last year I didn't break 40lb for the first time in 30 years... I'd bet a saw buck I break 40 before July 1 this year...I can feel it!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 02:15 PM »
.. the enthusiasm isn't what it once was...I've been doing this for 50 years... I hope I live long enough to complete the goal of 20 ( fish over 50 lbs.)... 2 to go... I can do it in a single night if I get the right school of fish  ( in 2014 I took a 54 and a 56 lb fish back to back casts... I took 3 over 50 including a 61 the first week of July in '86 and a 58 form Head of the meadow beach that  September)... ) last year I didn't break 40lb for the first time in 30 years... I'd bet a saw buck I break 40 before July 1 this year...I can feel it!

I wish you nothing but the best for your ultimate goal!
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 02:23 PM »
I wish you nothing but the best for your ultimate goal!

thanks..time for the young bulls to take over... this old bull now  walks down the hill and looks to catch  1...I no longer  need to catch them all! ;D ;)...striper fishing has been good to me..if I never catch another Cow.. my life is still good!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 02:29 PM »
thanks..time for the young bulls to take over... this old bull now  walks down the hill and looks to catch  1...I no longer  need to catch them all! ;D ;)...striper fishing has been good to me..if I never catch another Cow.. my life is still good!

Anytime!

My ultimate goal is a 15lb fluke, maybe even state record which is over 17lbs. I have many over 10lbs so its bound to happen one day.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 02:48 PM »

Who's this guy

https://youtu.be/dpUvoGdi8rE

Im with Mike.  I am sure you'll nail 2 more.  There is a guy no one knows at the canal, nearly has the same numbers.  Ironically named Joe as well!  His foil jobs on magic swimmers are absolutely insane.  Looks just like a blueback.  Last year while a fluke, saw some 60lbers landed in the big river.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 03:12 PM »
heading down tonight to bourne. will probably jig the canal tonight and fish the am.

lowaccord66

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 03:30 PM »
heading down tonight to bourne. will probably jig the canal tonight and fish the am.

Good luck.  One more drag day at work for me.

Roccus

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Who's this guy

https://youtu.be/dpUvoGdi8rE

Im with Mike.  I am sure you'll nail 2 more.  There is a guy no one knows at the canal, nearly has the same numbers.  Ironically named Joe as well!  His foil jobs on magic swimmers are absolutely insane.  Looks just like a blueback.  Last year while a fluke, saw some 60lbers landed in the big river.
arrrg.. that was almost 10 years ago..now I REALLY feel old!

Going for haddock in the morning...hopefuly they are at my inshore spot..it's only a little over a 5 mile ride from the mouth of the river..

lowaccord66

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Good luck Joe catch them up!

Roccus

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Good luck Joe catch them up!

I've got a gallon of clams left over from last season... I bet they are beyond ripe!... I'll put a bait on the bottom and chum for mackerel...if I get some..I'll fish strip baits... fresh mack. strips will outfish "aged" clams 5:1... fishing fish bait gives me a shot at a halibut... I'm 0 fer 3... had a big one boat side 3 times 2 years ago and ended breaking it off( dropped loop) on it's last attempt to get free when I tried to gaff it.. :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.