FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Variety is the Spice of Life  (Read 2462 times)

zwiggles

Re: Variety is the Spice of Life
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 03:29 PM »
My guess would be cross breading with native species. Or at least, that is why they stopped stocking certain areas in RI.

Tigers are sterile aren’t they?

Besides NH has virtually zero natural reproduction, and Browns, rainbows, landlocked salmon are not native to NH. It would be pretty hard to screw up the brookie genetics anymore than they already are. Everything in NH, minus a few tiny areas, has been stocked and therefore has compromised the gentics of whatever natural fish where there.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Tigers are sterile aren’t they?

Besides NH has virtually zero natural reproduction, and Browns, rainbows, landlocked salmon are not native to NH. It would be pretty hard to screw up the brookie genetics anymore than they already are. Everything in NH, minus a few tiny areas, has been stocked and therefore has compromised the gentics of whatever natural fish where there.

I should have stated brookies not tigers. I know for sure that they stopped stocking certain streams in RI because it holds ""native"" brookies and they were worried that they would cross breed with stocked brook trout. My source was directly from a DEM officer as well as the hatchery. I called th hatchery after the officer mentioned this. As a kid, I always loved venturing on my own in my waders and getting the "grand slam" (rainbow, brown, brook trout, and "native") in the same stretch of river.
Wicked Wec

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 04:45 PM »
i havent noticed a difference in fight between species of trout. i have caught a bunch of tigers up to 22in long and have not seen a difference in fight between brookies browns and rainbows. it all depends on the size. a 20in trout fights better than a 12in trout. tigers especially male tigers are more pleasing to look at though.

taxid

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 05:03 PM »
i havent noticed a difference in fight between species of trout. i have caught a bunch of tigers up to 22in long and have not seen a difference in fight between brookies browns and rainbows. it all depends on the size. a 20in trout fights better than a 12in trout. tigers especially male tigers are more pleasing to look at though.

I have found rainbows the most acrobatic of the three and brooks the least. If you add steelhead to the mix you have a whole different ballgame. We have a strain of rainbow steelhead over here called skamanias and they are so acrobatic you usually only land about 50 percent of the ones you get on.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Browns roll a lot more when hooked up than brookies or bows.  Bigger browns fight well but stockie to stockie id rather hook up on a brookie or bow. 

zwiggles

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Found this video of a couple of huge tiger trout today, and thought of this thread:

Those guys don’t get excited like that easily, and the runs the fish make are awesome.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.