FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pike on the fly  (Read 51959 times)

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
Pike on the fly
« on: Mar 16, 2007, 05:56 PM »
How many of you like to chase the pike with a fly rod and a float tube. I use a 7-8wt rod with a sink tip line. Streamers in silver or green seem to be the ticket.

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: Pike on the fly
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2007, 05:32 PM »
I love chasing Northerns out of my float tube, I generaly use big perch patterns (olive with a little hot orange blended in and of coarse some crystal flash). Frog patterns can be DEADLY early in the season tie em with a ton of weight and twitch em off the bottom just off shore, all I can say is try it. 2 years ago I thru on an articulating leech about 4-6inches long and they went nuts over it but guess what? I haven't got one to take it since, go figure.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

anthonyebola

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Dont they cut through the leader alot?

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2007, 02:53 PM »
What is everyone's favorate fly / streamer pattern for pike, and what is a good size? ???

WW

bluefinforme

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2007, 03:04 PM »
we have had good luck on BIG micky finn style streamers....the red and yellow seems to be the ticket...(at least up here)......clousers work well too

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2007, 08:10 PM »
Dont they cut through the leader alot?

Not really. Check out this site. The guy really knows flyfishing pike. Awesome wire leader setup works great.

http://members.shaw.ca/cs47/leader.html

Here is the link to some of his pike in '06

http://members.shaw.ca/ocl3/pike06.html

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

zjlooney

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2015, 03:54 PM »
I'll see if this thread can be resurrected with a few pike treats I've been working on!

Mogi

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Choice lookin flies!! Have you had a chance to chuck em yet?

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2015, 12:23 AM »
try Larry delburg as in the delburg diver  i tied them in red ,yellow ,green and yellow and frog colors when i need them have not been out to that area of st clair in about 4-5 years to fish... so i really don't have any around to speak off... that and deer hair poppers, eel worms... etc... etc ... work even the small mouths chase flies on st clair...       

zjlooney

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2015, 10:38 AM »
Choice lookin flies!! Have you had a chance to chuck em yet?

Kind of...haha. First trip out to chuck them my brand new 8wt snapped on the first fish I set the hook on.  It had to have been a defective blank because the pike was only around 30".  I fished with a 6wt all last year and never had a problem but these flies are just too big to cast with a 6wt.  I got my replacement in the mail so I'm hoping to get out this weekend for a thorough workout!

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2015, 11:00 AM »
First trip out to chuck them my brand new 8wt snapped on the first fish I set the hook on.
Sounds like a defect... Have you tries a strip strike for setting your hooks? I find it a MUCH better way to go and you don't pull the fly away from the fish if they miss!

zjlooney

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Sounds like a defect... Have you tries a strip strike for setting your hooks? I find it a MUCH better way to go and you don't pull the fly away from the fish if they miss!

Yeah that's what I do.  Might've been a little harder than necessary since I was excited for the first of the season, but still not hard enough that it should break the rod.  It had to have been a defect, especially since it snapped 3" above the handle.

stripernut

« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2015, 02:16 PM »
So you jerk the rod up to set the hook? I don't lift the rod until the fish is hooked... But if the rod was defective it would still break.

zjlooney

« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2015, 04:20 PM »
So you jerk the rod up to set the hook? I don't lift the rod until the fish is hooked... But if the rod was defective it would still break.

Not really up but I jerk it to the side and strip set at the same time if that makes sense.  I do this in hopes of hitting the corner of the mouth.  I wouldn't do that if I used steel leaders all the time but I use flouro quite a bit.

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Make sense... But I think that unless the fish is close, the jerk to the side does not move the fly to the side at all and I know that it lessens the hook set... I do this with my clients before we start fishing; I have them hold the end of the line and at a reasonable casts distant I go through all the different hook sets, so they can feel just how much pressure is applied... moving the rod during the hook set is like adding a rubber band, some times you want that, but most of the time for fish like pike, bass, tarpon, blues or stripers a straight pull is most often best. That does not even take into account drag through the water (why a side strike can't move a fly to the side) or the stretch of the line...
I am also a BIG fan of a two handed strip, I can not tell you how many hits my clients have missed when they insist on using a single hand strip...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.