FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Catch and Release or keep all the fish you catch?  (Read 4585 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: Catch and Release or keep all the fish you catch?
« Reply #45 on: Jun 16, 2009, 11:32 PM »
 If your fishing in waters that are a put and take fishery like the great lakes, alot of the Finger Lakes, and 70% of Oneida's walleye, fisherman should take there legal limit if they can catch it as to keep the fisheries in balance with stocking practices! When people get on this catch and release kick, they usually turn into preachers and make the people around them that enjoy eating fish feel guilty! I enjoy eating fish, giving fish away to other people who enjoy eating them, and I like looking at them on my wall!  But I don't fish pristine waterways in the mountains or anything!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #46 on: Jun 16, 2009, 11:37 PM »
If your fishing in waters that are a put and take fishery like the great lakes, Finger Lakes, and 70% of Oneida's walleye, fisherman should take there legal limit if they can catch it as to keep the fisheries in balance with stocking practices! When people get on this catch and release kick, they usually turn into preachers and make the people around them that enjoy eating fish feel guilty! I enjoy eating fish, giving fish away to other people who enjoy eating them, and I like looking at them on my wall!  But I don't fish pristine waterways in the mountains or anything!
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

nypike

• Where da fish at?
« Reply #47 on: Jun 17, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I eat fish and so do my kids, I keep them and eat them. I do release dominant spawners. Bass over 2-3 lbs, walleye over 22", and all trout go back in the drink. Unless its a mounter.

Deebsey

« Reply #48 on: Jun 17, 2009, 11:31 AM »
I fish in the waters of the great lakes & a lot of the Finger Lakes so I take a limit of sunnies, perch & eyes if I can catch it.  To help keep the fisheries in balance.  This catch and release jazz doesn't always work for the good of every body of water, There is a big problem with the bass on Honoeye lake in my opion and many fellow fishermen will agree.   I enjoy eating fish, giving fish away to other people who can't catch them but enjoy eating them, and putting nice ones on my wall! 
A bad day fishing is a good excuse as to why your drunk

MGK

« Reply #49 on: Jun 17, 2009, 11:57 AM »
I release most of the fish I catch. If you don't release any fish your not being a sportsman.
It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

perchpirate97

« Reply #50 on: Jun 17, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Perch over 11", Bluegills/Pumpkinseeds 9" +, and Crappies 9"+ all go into my belly. They are called panfish for a reason, deeeeeeee-licious! All trout, bass, pike, muskies find their way back into the water.

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #51 on: Jun 17, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Wonder what filet n releases' thoughts are on this subject!  :whistling: :rotflol: :rotflol:
Nice job findin em

Bailbuster

« Reply #52 on: Jun 17, 2009, 06:04 PM »
I release most of the fish I catch. If you don't release any fish your not being a sportsman.

I think if you don't take over your limit !!eat what you keep. You can still be a sportsman!

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #53 on: Jun 17, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Haven't been out much latey, I'll let you know...  :laugh:
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

grady95

« Reply #54 on: Jun 17, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Just found this thread.  I come from a large family and I guess we were raised kind of old fashioned.  As kids, we grew up on fresh veggies from our gardens, eggs from the neighbor's farm, and plenty of fish from our beloved St Lawrence River.  I never knew bass were not good to eat until I started reading these fishing boards!  We used to fight over them at dinner time.  We still do.  We still love our pike dinners, perch fillets with scrambled eggs for breakfast and Sunday fish fries with potatoes, cole slaw and dessert.  Eating the fish we catch for is us  more than simply providing nutrition.  It's a bond with the outdoors and with our family and friends that goes back many generations.

Sure there are fish we catch and release but usually we are fishing together and we are all trying to get enough fish for that day's or the next day's family dinner.  People deeply enjoy the privilege of fishing for very different reasons, all of them respectable and admirable.  Some feel they owe it to the habitat to release every fish they catch and others feel they are doing no harm at all by keeping and eating a fair caught share of the bounty of the water.  No one is really right or wrong. 

My feeling is if you take fish home, don't waste it.  Make sure you clean it and eat it or give it to someone who will.  If you release your fish, use methods that will not unduly damage the fish and take care to put them back in good shape. 

I can't help but laugh a bit when I think about the trophy fish some guys catch.  I have to believe those fish got so big by stealing all the minnows off my line for all these years!  I've been feeding your trophies for a long time now.  Best of luck getting them.  Hope you catch the fish of a lifetime.  Just remember, I probably spent ten buck in bait feeding the darn thing! :laugh: :laugh:

Grady

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #55 on: Jun 18, 2009, 04:01 AM »
Grady hit it on the head. I guess alot of this may depends on your heritage, or simply how you were shown to fish. When my great gram showed me the ropes. Bringing the fish home, cleaning, and cooking them was all part of fishing for us. I have followed suit with my boys and I am quite sure they will do the same one day when I have grand kids. Whatever you do. Get your money's worth. Whether it's eating or just snapping a pic. Enjoy it.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

Captain1978

« Reply #56 on: Jun 18, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Just found this thread.  I come from a large family and I guess we were raised kind of old fashioned.  As kids, we grew up on fresh veggies from our gardens, eggs from the neighbor's farm, and plenty of fish from our beloved St Lawrence River.  I never knew bass were not good to eat until I started reading these fishing boards!  We used to fight over them at dinner time.  We still do.  We still love our pike dinners, perch fillets with scrambled eggs for breakfast and Sunday fish fries with potatoes, cole slaw and dessert.  Eating the fish we catch for is us  more than simply providing nutrition.  It's a bond with the outdoors and with our family and friends that goes back many generations.

Sure there are fish we catch and release but usually we are fishing together and we are all trying to get enough fish for that day's or the next day's family dinner.  People deeply enjoy the privilege of fishing for very different reasons, all of them respectable and admirable.  Some feel they owe it to the habitat to release every fish they catch and others feel they are doing no harm at all by keeping and eating a fair caught share of the bounty of the water.  No one is really right or wrong. 

My feeling is if you take fish home, don't waste it.  Make sure you clean it and eat it or give it to someone who will.  If you release your fish, use methods that will not unduly damage the fish and take care to put them back in good shape. 

I can't help but laugh a bit when I think about the trophy fish some guys catch.  I have to believe those fish got so big by stealing all the minnows off my line for all these years!  I've been feeding your trophies for a long time now.  Best of luck getting them.  Hope you catch the fish of a lifetime.  Just remember, I probably spent ten buck in bait feeding the darn thing! :laugh: :laugh:

Grady
  Very well put. You show both sides to the story... and the truth!!! Thank you for feeding them trophies !! ;D :w00t:
El Capitano

edmonds

« Reply #57 on: Jun 19, 2009, 06:19 AM »
I usually release everything I catch.  Once in a while I will keep a few for the frying pan.  I have no problem with people keeping all they catch as long as it is within the regulations.  Do what feels right to you (within the laws).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.