FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some fish out of one of my ponds  (Read 4469 times)

taxid

Some fish out of one of my ponds
« on: Jun 02, 2012, 12:37 AM »
The person in the pictures is a friend that manages ponds for a living (I prefer to only manage my own ponds), and helped me catch 20 smallmouth for one of his clients.

[/quote]
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

Re: Some fish out of one of my ponds
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2012, 07:34 AM »
SWEET, I NEED ONE OF THEM PONDS. I AM JEALOUS.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2012, 09:05 AM »

Cheaper than some of those bass boats!  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Blueultra2

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2012, 12:05 PM »

I need one of them with those gills!!!!

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Great Fish!!

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Great Fish!!

d**n that salmon in your avatar looks good too!

goathead

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2012, 03:06 PM »
how long was that gill ? monster fish!!!

gill gitter

« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Those are some awsome fish ya got there!!! Not only is the gill a monster but that perch is a beast as well!!! Congrats on the great work you all have done!!

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2012, 10:15 PM »
how long was that gill ? monster fish!!!

I didn't measure it but I think it was about 10 inches on a board. My gills are already a pound at 9.5 inches due to heavy feeding on artificial feed once a day to satiation.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Those are some awsome fish ya got there!!! Not only is the gill a monster but that perch is a beast as well!!! Congrats on the great work you all have done!!

Thank you. It's a lot more work than many realize.

To produce trophy size panfish the idea is to reproduce the bluegills and yellow perch in another pond and to only plant male bluegill and female yellow perch in this pond and feed them well on artificial feed. One of a couple ways to produce trophy size bluegill and yellow perch. The other way is to feed an artificial diet along with a large population of small largemouth bass to keep their numbers down.

Unfortunately I had some female bluegill escape the cage they were held in due to some ice thawing and pushing up against the cage which tipped part of it under water. I also dropped a male perch in the pond accidentally when sexing my YOY perch. Now I have unwanted reproduction and it's just a matter of time before I have too many smaller fish and less than optimum growth rates. Since I don't have largemouth in the pond it's difficult to control the numbers, and smallmouth by themselves aren't good at controlling bluegills. I no longer raise largemouths for several reasons but one is they push the other species away from the pellets.

This fall I will be draining the pond for the third time and temporarily moving the fish to two smaller ponds until it's rotenoned or limed, it's filled back up, and it's safe to move the fish back in. This time there will be no cages for fish to get loose. Maybe I'll get it right the third time!

wally13

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2012, 11:06 PM »
nice gills and perch nice photo's and good job

Mr. gill

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2012, 02:18 PM »
Nice to see a man with a great passion. Mine is deer hunting. My cousin just bought 80 acres to sometime develop. I have 100% of hunting rights. I love to fish but bow hunting gets my blood pumping. I almost forgot those are some dandy fish u have.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Nice to see a man with a great passion. Mine is deer hunting. My cousin just bought 80 acres to sometime develop. I have 100% of hunting rights. I love to fish but bow hunting gets my blood pumping. I almost forgot those are some dandy fish u have.

Are you into QDM? I know people that try but their neighbors shoot any buck that moves and refuse to shoot does so it kind of negates things.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Are you into QDM? I know people that try but their neighbors shoot any buck that moves and refuse to shoot does so it kind of negates things.

Quality Deer Management?  Is that anything like the 'if it's brown its down' plan used by some people?   ::) :rotflol: :rotflol:

popnfish

« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2012, 06:49 AM »
I've caught 10 inch gills, that one looks larger - nice  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.