FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Baby roaches (shiners) vs. crappie minnows  (Read 11742 times)

abishop

Baby roaches (shiners) vs. crappie minnows
« on: Jun 22, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Can anyone say that the baby roaches work better for perch than the cheap old crappie minnows at 1.25 a dozen. I usually get the shiners and pay the extra. However, depending on where I buy bait, some stores don't carry them. I catch them on both, however, at times the crappie minnows are too small. Then I have to switch over to the walleye (fat head) Minnows. I think the perch like the silver baby roaches with the fork tail better. I know they prefer the soft craws. Now you are talking about 10.00 a dozen. Now this is a new topic for sure. There is a bait store called Dick Watts Bait towards Monticello, I think they are located in Star City, who used to  sell them for 7 bucks. I will have to call shortly and get this years price. The only problem is the 30 in gas it takes to go there and get them. Might take orders to help with the gas.

coho333

Re: Baby roaches (shiners) vs. crappie minnows
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2013, 09:18 PM »
I think baby roaches work better for sure . They have a lot more flash to them. That's all I use for crappie and perch and it seems like I catch bigger fish on them to.  Slez's bait shop in lake station has baby roaches. I think he said he will have soft shell sometime this month.
HERE FISHY

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2013, 10:18 PM »
I think baby roaches work better for sure . They have a lot more flash to them. That's all I use for crappie and perch and it seems like I catch bigger fish on them to.  Slez's bait shop in lake station has baby roaches. I think he said he will have soft shell sometime this month.
Rich said he may get some fresh frozen maybe if the price isn't too high.

black55

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2013, 11:25 PM »
Rich said he may get some fresh frozen maybe if the price isn't too high.
 frozen should just be a last resort bud ,they  just don't hold up well !  I would use the roaches before i would spend the money for the frozen ones . I am a long time softcraw user, and as a kid my first job was in a large bait and tackle shop that sold both .
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2013, 03:47 AM »
i dont know why guys w ;Daste time and money on softshells.... just sayin! ;D
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

black55

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2013, 02:24 PM »
i dont know why guys w ;Daste time and money on softshells.... just sayin! ;D
I know that live softcraws will out fish any other type of bait live or other wise on smallies and catfish ! but if u can't catch them your self the cost can be a big factor .
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

High Flags

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2013, 04:11 PM »
I have had some good luck for perch on the bigger mid size shiners. The Bigger Perch seem to like them. They do die in the bucket very easy,  you need to keep them in a floating minn bucket or an aerated live well. And I ageree the cost has gotten crazy$$$.   When there on fat heads work just fine.

Fished  yesterday 6 to 11am for Perch , got both fathead and shiners. Launched out of trail creek, Only boated 5 perch all small. Marked lots  of small fish  by black ditch.18 to 25 fow. caught a few in 40 fow.   Did not see anyone getting much. Today should be better, the wind was making it tough yesterday ,I had to run a drift sock to slow down.

I too hear that soft craws are the way to go , either cast them of troll em off the rocks.

Tore the Perch up last year on plain old fatheads,  or worms.  I think when there in it just doesn't matter much about type of bait.

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2013, 06:31 PM »
I believe one will catch larger perch on a spinner tipped with soft shell working the tops of weeds than any type of minnow. just my 2 cents. I have been witness to this a few times myself. Was catching good decent numbers and size of perch. Then decided to throw spinners and the size picked up every time. Not everyone can pop the extra for crabs. When they are in won't make a difference catching 15 perch 10-12 inches. But much more fun getting them when casting. 15 at 12-14 inchers are so much better. IMHO

High Flags

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2013, 06:51 PM »
  I agree, the bigger ones seem to be to the cast or troll, How do you rig your spinners Al?

abishop

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2013, 07:39 PM »
I use the ones McLurch sells. Tie 1/8 ounce in-line sinker with about 10-16 inch leader. On 4# lest P-line. Root beer, chartruse, or fire tiger have been the hot colors for years on lake Michigan.

portageredneck

« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2013, 09:13 PM »
i just go to town& country and buy bag of small popcorn shrimp....fools em everytime.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.