FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Michigan 2014 non-resident fishing license increase  (Read 13157 times)

Bodeen

Re: Michigan 2014 non-resident fishing license increase
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2013, 05:53 PM »
Doubtful IN will do anything.  IN is not a draw for out of state fishermen.  We have nothing like Michigan has to offer. 

You haven't seen Brookville on the Weekend between Memorial day and Labor day.

princecraft

« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2013, 05:56 PM »
I would say that Minnesota at 45.00 a year and has great fishing or Wisconsin at 50 dollars a year and has great fishing would be a reasonable figure.  For Michigan to raise theres from 42.00 to 75.00 is way to big of a jump. A lot of us retired people and on a fixed income will have trouble justifying that cost.  I for one will still buy one but not with a big smile on my face....lol

libo

« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2013, 06:25 PM »
my wife complained that I buy to many lic's, mich,in,wisc, ohio,an tenn. I said one pair of your shoes are about the same price as 1 lic's. conversation over!!!!! lol

Get_the_Net

« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2013, 06:26 PM »
You haven't seen Brookville on the Weekend between Memorial day and Labor day.

Your right I have not seen it, but I know there is no way brookville could support the number of out of state anglers found on the detroit river for spring walleye or LSC for spring smallies in just one weekend.  Indiana just doesn't have the amount of water, scenery, variety or quality of fish found in Michigan.  Heck maybe the increase in cost will thin out the fishermen on the water.  Fishing there is a choice, and the price will not change my choice, but I certainly understand how it affect others.  I also keep enough panfish from michigan to make enough meals to offset the cost.

icecleate

« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2013, 07:43 PM »
I do not mind spending that much for a license.  I go to the U.P. twice a year for a week each and the beauty and peaceful scenery  is worth the $75 for me.  If the money is spent to make the fishing and hunting better, as well as for paying for additional conservation officers I have no problem.

black55

« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2013, 07:56 PM »
You would be surprised at the number of people that come from mich to hunt deer here ,or at least they use to when i work at the local bait shop many many yrs ago. But it could have changed by now.
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

Get_the_Net

« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2013, 09:30 PM »
You would be surprised at the number of people that come from mich to hunt deer here ,or at least they use to when i work at the local bait shop many many yrs ago. But it could have changed by now.

What does hunting deer have to do with the cost of a fishing license?  I don't see the correlation.  A non resident deer tag for indiana is 150.00...nearly 2 times what the michigan fishing license will be next year...wonder if there is an uproar in michigan about that cost?

black55

« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2013, 11:25 PM »
Seems to me that hunting and fishing always goes togather, what does mich charge for out of state deer tags . Bet that will be the next to go up. But hey i admit it was a streach on my part. I guess it's because i'm one of those limited income people that dream o going to Mich to fish for 2 or 3 days ,and next yr it will be that much harder!
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I agree with Get the Net.  The amount of fishing in Michigan is awesome.  I have never fished st Clair, but I fish lots of lakes in NW lower Michigan and $75 is a steal for the quality of fishing.  Spend a day tying into 40+ smallies averaging 3+ lbs makes it more than worth it.  Add that to the Walleye fishing in the same lakes and it is a no brainer!  Not too many Indiana lakes where you can hit the water before light, catch a limit of quality eyes and then spend the rest of the day wearing yourself out on big smallies!  But I can see it being an issue for families that make Michigan a vacation destination for only a few days per year.

wallin

« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I always heard that 1 state charges the same price to out-of-staters that there state charges.
So we would charge Mich residents the same price for out -of-state license?
Wallin

Get_the_Net

« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2013, 09:18 AM »
I always heard that 1 state charges the same price to out-of-staters that there state charges.
So we would charge Mich residents the same price for out -of-state license?

Currently the IN non resident with trout stamp is 35 + 11 = 46.  Michigan non resident is 34 + 8 = 42.  Indiana would have to make a change quickly to put their licenses in line with what Michigan has done.  I am not sure it would be legal to charge someone from Michigan a different rate than someone from OH, IL or KY.  I think Indiana would lose alot of non resident licenses if they tried to match Michigan's rate and had to charge all non residents that rate.  I may be wrong, but I don't see the 'draw' to fish in Indiana like Michigan has.  A small increase each year would be better, then they can find the tipping point where number of licenses lost does not justify the increase.

libo

« Reply #26 on: Sep 19, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Indiana does not have reciprocal non resident lic fees at this time, there was talk of it a # of years ago because of all the Ill deer hunters double dipping in IN. but some other states do. mich. does need alot more CO's. I fish Mich alot over the years an have been checked once. CO told me 90% of violations were for no lic.

bigr

« Reply #27 on: Sep 19, 2013, 01:33 PM »
75.00 is not a big deal and well worth the money if your a person that can get that much use out of it,say several trips a year. As for me,one long weekend or even two wouldn't justify that kind of money only because of the choices i have in state. I don't think it will hurt and probable only help with an already great resource.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #28 on: Sep 19, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Indiana does not have reciprocal non resident lic fees at this time, there was talk of it a # of years ago because of all the Ill deer hunters double dipping in IN. but some other states do. mich. does need alot more CO's. I fish Mich alot over the years an have been checked once. CO told me 90% of violations were for no lic.

I used to get checked multiple times per year on Michigan waters.  In the last 5 years I have only been checked while ice fishing.  Not sure what happened but the CO's used to be everywhere in boats, on wave runners and waiting at the launch.  Last few years they have been non existent.   Maybe the extra money will help put more eyes on the water.

crappiehunter

« Reply #29 on: Sep 20, 2013, 05:23 AM »
It's a deal breaker for me I'm afraid. Just too much.
Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.