FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fishing Hawaii  (Read 1558 times)

Mr. Rig

fishing Hawaii
« on: May 27, 2004, 05:11 PM »
Visited my brother in Honolu in Feb and was amazed at how popular shore fishing was, particularly on the North Shore.  Am going back in Jan., and will also be visiting Kauai.  Anyone out there have experience with shore fishing in these locations (Oahu and Kauai)?- gear, bait, species, time of year, location etc.  Information would be much appreciated as I thaw myself out from our Manitoba January weather next year.

OTIS

Re: fishing Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 06:58 AM »
My family lives in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island.  My brother-in-law has two charter boats that his family runs; they also do commercial fishing trips once every couple of months.  I have fish from shore and from his boats; it’s amazing the fish that are out there!  I love to use light tackle setup, with some of the lures that I have bought that haven’t lived up to their fish catching potential.  The fish out there will literally attack anything that hits the water.  I also can’t get over how pound for pound salt water fish are so much stronger than fresh water fish.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

chrisfrank

Re: fishing Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 09:22 PM »
I was in Hawaii this past summer and did a little fishing... not much though as the place is so beautiful and i had so little time to see everything.  We had a house on on the water (Kanoehe Bay) for a few days.   Its a large bay on the east side of Oahu.   The shore by the house was shallow(2-4 feet) and the bottom was rock and coral.  Brought my own rod (light action 2 piece) and caught a few bonefish on clearblue topwaters.   I attempted to fish from a sea kayak we had, but ended spending more time enjoying the paddling and less time fishing..     
 I was attacked by a fish though.  I cast the line out about 30feet,  as it hit the water a silver fish about 8inches leaped out of the water towards me, landed then jumped out several times more towards me like a skipping stone, lands right next to my kayak splashing me.   I think i heard him laugh as he hit the water....

I also went on a charter boat 2 years ago when i was down there in the winter.  AWESOME trip, even though the only fish i caught was promptly rigged as bait, i had a blast.   Beautiful scenery,  saw some monsters caught, fresh fish to go home, and saw a few whales.  If you have the time i highly recommend going out on one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.