FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: October.......Sluggish Start, Then a Big Time Rally  (Read 1739 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
October.......Sluggish Start, Then a Big Time Rally
« on: Nov 01, 2020, 10:27 AM »
October started out as a grind that resembled more what I'd expect for mid-winter open water fishing.  Smallies and fallfish kept my line tight on most of the early month trips, but trout and salmon eluded me.  I got close one time with a nice 'bow that spit the hook right at net time.  I'm still not sure if it's better to hook and lose than to never hook at all :-\

Low water was a big part of the problem early on.  No water in tailwater fisheries was notably unhelpful.

I was searching for answers when this showed up in the southern sky two afternoons in a row.  I didn't know whether to wish for extra-terrestrial guidance to break the funk, to prepare for a fish-off, or to just get beamed up outright.

With no flow to draw up any real push of lake run fish, I scoured the trib mouths for whatever I could find.  I was pretty much fishing in sluggish, leaf-filled pools or shallow runs, but was able to find a few fish.  Not the biggest, but they spent much of the time airborne on light gear.  I was also starting to feel that the month was turning around 8)

Welcome rain returned around mid-month and kicked the fishing into the next gear.  At about the same time, a buddy of mine texted in a very welcome tip.  He was spot on, and good karma provided him with the kicker fish on a rainy, windy, fogged up camera lens day.

The bigger rivers turned on at about the same time.  It was quickly becoming "so many fish, so little time" as some fair browns cooperated.

Several ponds turned on by late month.  On one trip, I had an epic 20 fish hour on splake.  Rewarding my buddy for his earlier tip elsewhere, I showed him around to a few prime spots.  We had a solid day in the drizzzle and onshore winds....perfect for splakin'.  Action dropped off slightly when it cleared.

We'll see if November ends up being as frantic as October :laugh:

bogtrotter

Re: October.......Sluggish Start, Then a Big Time Rally
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Love the UFO cloud photo!

(The brookies, browns and rainbows weren't too shabby either). ;D

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Very nice Jim.

fish wayniac

« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2020, 04:47 PM »
Jim, Those rains helped the trout bite for you. Those rainbow’s colors are stunning. When you were fishing for Splake were you in a water craft or in waders? That’s a cool looking alien cloud . Awesome !

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.  All my fishing was in waders.  The key is finding drop offs...the rockier, the better.

When you were fishing for Splake were you in a water craft or in waders?

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Way yo go Jim! This last month was crazy to begin with down here in NH for flowing waters, just like up there.

Hopefully we get into a wet pattern, and you can get into something fun this month!

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2020, 05:38 AM »
Awesome Jim nice work.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2020, 09:50 AM »
Great fish Jim!

caught_the_fever

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2020, 05:07 PM »
Jim - you certainly put the "big" in big time rally with those rainbows!  Absolutely beautiful fish. 

Always impressed with your mastery of the various fisheries.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:19 AM »
BIG rainbow! love the big black spots on that 3rd brown too.  You definitely have the splake figured out!

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Wow.  Those are some VERY nice trout!  Love seeing all the pics.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

JDK

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Nice month Jim.
# SAND

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.