FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canning Suckers  (Read 27271 times)

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
Canning Suckers
« on: Mar 23, 2006, 09:13 AM »
Ingredients and Equipment:

Fresh suckers caught on their spawning run in Spring
Salt
Vinegar, smoke flavor, spices (all optional)

Jars - 250 ml (1/2 pint) salmon jars; or pint sealers
"Snap" lids and rings
Pressure canner
Thermometer

Method

Fish may be used whole - cleaned and scaled with all the bones intact.  This method uses slices or steaks of the fish and looks attractive with the skin on.  Good for fish like salmon, trout and charr where scaling is easy.  When scaling is more difficult, like for suckers, I usually remove the skin.  Ribs can be left in or removed.  I usually remove them.  Either way, processing will soften all the bones left in the fish.

Pack the fish tightly into the jars, leaving 1/8" gap below the lid.  For every 250ml jar I add 1/2 tsp salt and often 1/2 tsp vinegar.  Other flavorings can be added as desired. 

Place the lids on the jars and fasten the ring only enough to hold the lids in place.  DO NOT TIGHTEN.  There must be an escape route for the gases that will be released.

Canning Procedure

Place the jars into hot water to about 1/2 their height.  This can be done in the canner.  Heat the water to a gentle boil, and continue heating until the meat in the jar reaches 170°F (77°C).  This is necessary to drive out all dissolved gases.  This will take 10-20 mins.  Immediately tighten the lids, and place in the pressure canner if heated in another pot.  Process according to the canner's instructions.  I usually process at 15 lbs pressure for at least 90 mins, or at 10 lbs for 1 hour and 50 mins.  When processing is done, let the jars cool, and make sure they "snap".  Any that don't should be refrigerated and eaten shortly.

Pretty well any fish can be canned this way, but I've done a lot of suckers over the years, and I'll be out this spring looking for the runs into small creeks and ditches.

Added to post - April 25, 2006:
Here are a few shots of the canning I did after catching 12 medium size suckers.   They gave 13 - 1/2 pt jars plus a feed of fish patties for 4 people.  The fillets were packed tight into the jars, salt only was added, and they were processed for 100 minutes.  This size of canner is big, and holds 24 - 1/2 pt (250 ml) jars, so it was just 1/2 full.  Next year I'll aim at getting at least 20 suckers.  The last step is to label the jars.  They should keep for at least a year in my basement cupboard.

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
Re: Canning Suckers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2006, 03:00 PM »
I'm in for trying new things.  Do you prepare the canned fish like one would tuna, making fish stock etc.  Any offerings for recipes for the canned fish?

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2006, 03:54 PM »
I pretty much use canned sucker like I would tuna or salmon, in sucker salad sandwiches, sucker macaroni casseroles, or patties with a bit of fine bread crumbs and an egg and spices.  It's actually a pretty mild tasting fish with a good flavor.  Because it doesn't have as much salt as the ocean fish, you may have to add a bit to the recipe.  On the other hand, if you add no salt when canning, it is really good for reduced-sodium diets.

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Thanks.  I'm  going to give it a try.

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Sorry guy's this all sounds disgusting !
I have only had canned herring and it was pretty gross .

Dont know if there is any difference but Nothing can be as bad as herring the way I had it !

Is it like pickled fish or more like a tuna from the can ?

I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard of anybody eating suckers .
Where I grew up they were bait or thrown back .
I guess one would have to aquire a taste for it .

Whatpole

• Whatch you lookin' at dad???
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:23 AM »
My mom used to can lots of fish. I thought it was a lot better than store bought stuff, especially made into patties and fried. We canned a lot of northerns and catfish. On the subject of eating suckers, the best smoked fish I ever had is carp. My mom smokes them, no pun intended.  ::)  ;D
Nuttier than a squirrel turd.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!

Gamedog

• If it swims,walks or flies, it dies!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2007, 09:47 AM »

I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard of anybody eating suckers .
Where I grew up they were bait or thrown back .
I guess one would have to aquire a taste for it .
BINGO!

mttrout

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2007, 06:50 PM »
BINGO!

Ya, in Mt growing up we either wacked 'em and threw em back or used them for bait for big fish. However I have heard of people smoking them!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.