FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Biggest brook trout  (Read 60475 times)

TroutFishingBear

Biggest brook trout
« on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:03 PM »
Forgot to put this with the brown trout post  :-[

Mine is a 5pounder in a secret lake.
I have also caught many 3 pounders, avg. 2 lbs, in a camp lake. Although in this lake, I still caught plenty of 12", prob. half 12" half 16"

SALMOTRUTTA

Re: Biggest brook trout
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2004, 04:12 PM »
3 lbs.,18 inches trolling,same place as my brown.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2004, 05:32 PM »
I have put a few 4 1/2 pounders in the net but 3 summers ago I lost one right at the side of the canoe that had to have been in the mid 5lb range and thats considered huge in the waters I fish...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

reubenpa

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2004, 07:27 PM »
12.5 inches and I don't know how many pounds. Man that thing was HUGE, it was probably a good 8 LBs.... I mean ozs.  It was a native in a SMAll creek.  It was fun to get though
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2004, 11:52 PM »
Big brookies are one trophy I have never caught. I did catch one from Gore Creek in Colorado, near vail, on a #6 Gold Panther Martin Spinner that was 19" and about 3 and a half pounds. Gore Creek has a fair amount of brookies in the 14 - 20 inch range, though most about a foot long.
I catch tons of brookies in remote, high mountain lakes and cold streams. In one of these lakes they average a nice 12 - 14", though I have never landed any bigger out of several thousand landed in my life.
The rest of the places just kick out tons of 8 - 12" brooks. I don't complain about that though.
No fish is as pretty to me as a wild brookie. Nor is any as tasty as an orange meated brookie. Most of them eat a lot of freshwater shrimp. These small crustaceans are common in most any brookie fishery.
I am not much of a fly fisherman, but at times in high mountain lakes, a dry fly is the best thing to use. I like 12 - 16 size red ants and mosquitoes. I have caught over 50 in a day many times on dry flies. Talk about fun. If the fish aren't rising, I like Panther Martin Spinners, and also a good old Daredevle spoon is even better when you need to cast far. If you fish flies and have a boat, use a nymph or wet fly and you'll still catch tons of them if your the type of fisherman who would rather catch 12 on a fly rod than 50 on lures or bait.
Nightcrawlers are also of course deadly on brookies. Other than bass though, I would say brookies are the only other fish I fish for where artificials often work better than bait.

Tyler

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Don't leak out the daredevil secret I told you mack ;) You know the one i mean, when trout are rising...

Find a place and squander it: besides the camp lake that I mentioned earlier and the secret, unmapped lake, I have only gotten one other brookie that was over 3 lbs. (21"    3 1/4 lbs south mesa lake, colorado)

icefishnh

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:56 PM »
biggest brookie was 18" 3-3 1/2lbs.  caught on cape cod with powerbait on a 4 1/2ft rod and 4lb test
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

JasonN

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2004, 12:00 AM »
Only about 13 inches, but there just aren't a lot of really big ones around here, except sometimes in the lakes, which I don't fish.  In most streams in my area 11 inches is a big brookie... still fun, though.  :)

zuke852000

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2004, 12:18 PM »
I caught a 26 inch brookie in Nova Scotia... never weighed it, just caught and released.
ZUKE

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2004, 11:15 AM »
In my part of NY (CNY...farm land...) there aren't many places to catch big brookies. Seeing on how I'm not a hardcore trout fisherman (bass bass baby 8) ), I only fish behind my house for wild brookies once in a while. Biggest was a meager 12.5-13". I was happy to catch it though, mot of the fish are only about 8 inches.

-Zach

Browntrout08

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2004, 07:32 PM »
My biggest was a 10 inch wild fish on the fly rod.  Theres not many huge brookies in my neck of the woods.

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2004, 10:57 AM »
The biggest one I caught was 16". This one below was about 20", we stocked it along with a bunch of other beauties Sunday.

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2004, 10:26 AM »
My bigest was a brown last OCT 9 pounds 7 OZ
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

fastribs85

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2004, 05:55 PM »
biggest brookie was about 10" or 12"  long it was my first time fishing for them about 2 weeks ago what a blast cant wait to do it again in a few weeks
naked women and beer we got it all in here

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2004, 06:44 PM »
This one below was about 20.

What a beautiful fish!
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.