FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: why all male gills?  (Read 6297 times)

fishersofmen

why all male gills?
« on: Apr 12, 2004, 07:50 AM »
last wed i did fairly well..got 21 gills..about 1/2 were 8-9"....when i cleaned them they were all males.....they were all caught in less than one foot water in mucky/reedy areas.....why were they all males?....this was in nw indiana and the spawn is a long way off....all my gill experts say its too early for prespawn to be the cause....the day was mild...the lake proper was in the mid forties temperature but quite a bit warmer in one ft.....somebody said the water bugs were probably emerging from the muck....any expert opinions out there?...goin back wed..thanks steve

peple of the perch

Re: why all male gills?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2004, 08:55 AM »
i went fishing iin ohio two days ago and all the gills were in shalow water

crappieman12887

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2004, 09:32 AM »
last wed i did fairly well..got 21 gills..about 1/2 were 8-9"....when i cleaned them they were all males.....they were all caught in less than one foot water in mucky/reedy areas.....why were they all males?....this was in nw indiana and the spawn is a long way off....all my gill experts say its too early for prespawn to be the cause....the day was mild...the lake proper was in the mid forties temperature but quite a bit warmer in one ft.....somebody said the water bugs were probably emerging from the muck....any expert opinions out there?...goin back wed..thanks steve
[/quote because there males ,doing all the dusting and cleaning to impress all the women that will be showing up in a few days. no seriuos there probably there eatting the spring larvas.that are begining to hatch.and relaxing in the shallow water were they mybe a little warmmer.bill [men they allways try to impress ya know]

bigdave1018

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2005, 07:26 PM »
the males come in ist and make the beds and wait for the girls to arrive. once the females spawn they dont hang around very long, its up to the males to fend for the eggs until they spawn. its some were around the 50 degree range that triggers the spawn. the females only use 1 bed but the males have been known to visit a few more beds but once they are commited to 1 nest, they are great fathers and will defend against any and all fish that try to eat their young.

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:42 PM »
they were eating emerging insect larva. a protein rich, juicy, delicious treat to something that's been eating microscopic plankton all winter.

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:44 PM »
oh, and i almost forgot, they were probably also basking in the warmer water of the shallows.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.