FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sinker Pouring/Bullet Casting  (Read 5109 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Sinker Pouring/Bullet Casting
« on: Mar 25, 2008, 09:42 PM »
I have a few questions about pouring sinkers....

1) How large of a sinker can I pour with a bottom pour design lead melter? I may pour some large sinkers for catfishing. I understand that many large sinkers are pored with a ladle, but how big can I pour before I begin to have problems. I am looking at the Lee Pro 4 #20 bottom pour furnace, can I dip a ladle in there if I need to? I don't want to buy a ladle pot because most of my bulk will be smaller items. The large No-Roll sinkers will only be poured in small batches.

2) Should I flux the lead as if I was to cast a bullet? Bullet casters flux the lead, but I cant find a single word about anyone doing it for sinkers....

3) how much trimming will I have to do with the finished sinkers? I see that "Do-It" has a major part of the lead mold business tied up, but are they the best?

MrMarty51

Re: Sinker Pouring/Bullet Casting
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2008, 12:23 AM »
We always just use an old pot or kettle and then pour with a ladle and the coleman cooking stove to heat it with out in the garage.
You want to avoid the fumes as they can be harmful to Your health. 8)

"Every hour a person spends fishing is not taken from their lives"
                   Quote from Grant Boyson

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:59 AM »
I have a Lee pro 4 and use mostly do-it molds.  The only limiting factor with the Lee pro 4 would be fitting the mold under the pot.  As for trimming, I always do clean up on my jigs before they go to paint.  The do-it molds are good, but you are limited to what they offer.  Hilts also makes molds.  I do not use flux while molding lead.  Hope this helps.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2008, 04:53 PM »
can I get a ladle into a pro 4 if I need to?

Is the pro 4 a good unit? Lee has always done right by my me on price and quality on reloading stuff. I would guess their lead melting equipment would be held to the same standard of quality and value.

OTIS

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2008, 11:35 AM »
I've never seen a ladel up close so I couldn't really say.  But if I had to guess I would guess no.  The opening is about the size of a coffee cup.  I have no problem with the Pro 4.  I've made a couple hundred gigs with it and ran it for maybe 5 hours so far.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

JackMagnum

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:36 AM »
can I get a ladle into a pro 4 if I need to?

Is the pro 4 a good unit? Lee has always done right by my me on price and quality on reloading stuff. I would guess their lead melting equipment would be held to the same standard of quality and value.
The Lee has to be the BEST for the money. I've had a 10lb bottom pour for 15 years and have poured hundreds of pounds of lead. I am ready for the same model your looking at. Lee is an excellent company.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2008, 10:56 PM »
The Lee has to be the BEST for the money. I've had a 10lb bottom pour for 15 years and have poured hundreds of pounds of lead. I am ready for the same model your looking at. Lee is an excellent company.

I agree! It is funny how Lee Precision can make products that work better for about 1/3 the price! Most of the LEE rifle reloading stuff I had was made in the USA too!

The more I got into hand loading cartridges, the less I checked the competition's products.

RCBS 22# 800W pro-melt..... Around $350 with mixed reviews and complaints about leaky valves that often plug. ::)

Lee Pro 4 20# 700W furnace.... Around $70 with very positive feed back wherever you look. 8)

Richard Lee's manuals are the best out there too... :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.