FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing at night for crappies  (Read 15807 times)

nuke1neil

Fishing at night for crappies
« on: Mar 04, 2004, 07:34 PM »
We go out at night for crappies using a submersible halogen light.It gets lowered about ten ft down,and I think it's 250,000 candlepower.After a little while it draws the plankton in,which draws in the pinhead minnows,which brings in the tiny minnows,etc,etc,until the crappies come sneaking in.What a blast!!Some nights they are right under the boat and you can watch them suck in the fathead.It's weird tho,you can return to the same spot the next night and they're gone.Anybody else try this!!!!!Have picked up a walleye or two while doing this on the bottom.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Fishing at night for crappies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2004, 08:16 PM »
Wow that must be cool. :)
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2004, 10:53 AM »
Have not put a light under the water but have used lanterns suspended just above the water a inch or two over concreate walls. Works great!

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

fastribs85

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2004, 12:16 AM »
ill have to give that a shot this year
naked women and beer we got it all in here

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:41 PM »
Is that legal,  always wondered about that.  BTW,  I live in PA.

nuke1neil

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2004, 07:48 PM »
Is that legal,  always wondered about that.  BTW,  I live in PA.
Hey Mike,I live in Pa.and have been doing this for 20 plus years,same with my brother and buddies,I'm almost positive it's legal(won't guarantee it) but nobody has ever bothered us.Some nights there will be 10 boats on our local lake doing the same thing.If it was illegal I think after all these years we would have caught wind of it.By the way,sometimes you get the fish near the bottom, and sometimes they are 2 ft down.Give it a try,but don't give up if you don't score at first.Your efforts will be rewarded if you stick with it.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:11 PM »
Neil,

Sounds like a great technique,  my problem is I don't have a boat.  on another note,  we have a common acquiatance,  Jameytree.  Not this last season,  but the season before,  we met at strubble for some Crappie action.

fastribs85

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:55 PM »
hey mike only have a small john boat but if your intrested sometime let me know

fishfearme

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:53 AM »
i have green flourecent submersable light that i used last year of the dock and in the boat.it worked great in both cases. you have to give it time to work sometimes its 10-15 minutes but sometimes its a half hour but they do come in.
Dave

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2004, 01:14 PM »
Hey fastribs,

Where are you at?  You may have told me,  but my bad memory doesn't only apply to what my wife tells me  :D  The invite sounds great and I don't care what kind of boat gets me on the water and over fish.  I will get you my info in an IM.

Mike in Fairless Hills

fastribs85

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:57 PM »
mike i live in levittown understood about the wife do the same with the girlfriend and having trouble getting registerd and tags still working on figureing that out

charlie

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2004, 06:06 AM »
Neil ,where can you get this light,I find this method extremely interesting.You should get the tip of the week award.My eyes lit up when I read this .How early in the year can you do this???I fish were neil fishes and I hope I can try this.

nuke1neil

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:52 AM »
Neil ,where can you get this light,I find this method extremely interesting.You should get the tip of the week award.My eyes lit up when I read this .How early in the year can you do this???I fish were neil fishes and I hope I can try this.
I've only seen the one I like at Cabelas.Got it from the catalog,I don't know if the store has them or not.There's at least 3 diff.kinds.The one I like is about an inch around and looks like a test tube at one end.Another looks like a headlight with styrofoam around it.And the third looks sort of like a flashlight on a long cord.I think now they have green ones but I have'nt tried those.The first type is around 20 bucks.It works year round,I have dne it ice fishing with good results,needless to say you have to be where the fish are at any given time.

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2004, 11:59 PM »
I was thinking of attaching one of those closet style battery operated push lights on a foam donut and floating it light down off a rope. Could float it by a boat or off shore. Not sure if it would provide enough light to be worthwile. Wonder if it would work?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

fishfearme

« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2004, 07:59 AM »

i purchased mine at www.hookandtarget.com they had the best price and super fast delivery.they are made by optronics i have both kinds but i catch more fish with the green fluorescent lite(these also come in two different sizes).when you get to the site click "all products" and go down to you find "optronics".
Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.