FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hybrids  (Read 3831 times)

TroutFishingBear

Hybrids
« on: May 09, 2004, 10:00 PM »
NOTE!!! IMPOSSIBLE TO HAPPEN!!! THIS IS A MODIFICATION BECAUSE I WAS DUMB AND THOUGHT IF A RAINBOW HAD WHITE TIPPED FINS IT MUST BE BROOKIE/RAINBOW HYBRID. THERE ARE JUST MANY DIFFERENT STRAINS OF RAINBOWS. OF COURSE I CATCH CUTTBOWS ALL THE TIME, WHICH ARE RAINBOW/CUTTHROAT MIX

AD

• Born to fish
Re: Hybrids
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2004, 06:49 PM »
I know this is an old post but it is next impossible for Tiger trout and most other hybrids to reproduce.   They do occur naturally, but are rare due to the needed spawning of both species at the same time.    I know in Tigers they can be awfully hard to tell apart from brook's sometimes.  I used to work at a hatchery that raised rainbows, browns, brooks, and tigers.     
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2004, 08:03 PM »
Alright I guess so. I'm really not quite sure about tiger trout now that I have researched it. It may have just been a brown...

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2004, 05:37 PM »
I have caught many different hybrids of trout, cutt-bow (cutthroat rainbow) being the most common; even more common to me than a pure rainbow. I have also caught tiger trout (brown/brook) in places that AREN'T stocked with them. I have also caught a brown,brook,cutthroat,rainbow trout mix, and almost any mix you can imagine, all in places which are not stocked. I believe this is possible because there are a fair amount of fall run rainbows and cutts, and a fair amount of spring run browns and brooks, although fewer than the fall run rainbows and cutts. Has anyone else caught these hybrids in non-stocked places, and how is it possible that they can even exist to reproduce???????
I know this thread is ancient but I would love to hear about and see a Brown, brook, cutthroat, bow mix because it is just about theoreticaly impossible for it to happen...Browns and Brookies spawn in the Fall, Cutts and Bows spawn in the spring... I am not trying to start an argument here but it doesn't sound like it could happen... I have had a great interest in Hybrids for a long time and Have caught all except for the cutbow... The only hybrid I know of that happens in nature with any regularity besides the Cutbow is a Splake, Brookie/Laker mix and the splake themselves can reproduce but with a very low success rate.. Tiger trout are completely sterile and out of the hundred or so tiger trout I have caught  not one single one of them has even closely resembled a brook trout.. They literaly have Tiger like markings except they are silver and black.. I really just want to see the Brown,Brook,Cutthroat,Bow mix but I don't think I am going to...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

wny angler

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2004, 06:25 PM »
I have caught many different hybrids of trout, cutt-bow (cutthroat rainbow) being the most common; even more common to me than a pure rainbow. I have also caught tiger trout (brown/brook) in places that AREN'T stocked with them. I have also caught a brown,brook,cutthroat,rainbow trout mix, and almost any mix you can imagine, all in places which are not stocked. I believe this is possible because there are a fair amount of fall run rainbows and cutts, and a fair amount of spring run browns and brooks, although fewer than the fall run rainbows and cutts. Has anyone else caught these hybrids in non-stocked places, and how is it possible that they can even exist to reproduce???????
I know this thread is ancient but I would love to hear about and see a Brown, brook, cutthroat, bow mix because it is just about theoreticaly impossible for it to happen...Browns and Brookies spawn in the Fall, Cutts and Bows spawn in the spring... I am not trying to start an argument here but it doesn't sound like it could happen... I have had a great interest in Hybrids for a long time and Have caught all except for the cutbow... The only hybrid I know of that happens in nature with any regularity besides the Cutbow is a Splake, Brookie/Laker mix and the splake themselves can reproduce but with a very low success rate.. Tiger trout are completely sterile and out of the hundred or so tiger trout I have caught  not one single one of them has even closely resembled a brook trout.. They literaly have Tiger like markings except they are silver and black.. I really just want to see the Brown,Brook,Cutthroat,Bow mix but I don't think I am going to...
i don't think a brown,brook,bow,cuttroat hybrid or bigfoot exists but i guess anthings possible,even possibly life on other planets  :P  ::) but i don't think this Mickeyfinn fella knows a whole heluva lot about trout either ;)
        iv'e been fishing for trout  roughly 30 years and i'm no expert  ;)  but browns in newyork spawn late october through december  and iv'e seen rainbows on the beds spawning in mid to late december  before the streams start icing up - i'm talking big lake run bows 6-10 lbs and some steelhead
although the majority of them seem to spawn  feb-early april depending on water temps and conditions

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2005, 09:05 PM »
yeah, I guess the fish are just wierd colorations in this creek, way different then any I've seen before. Rainbows with white tipped fins (which when younger I thought was rainbow/brookie hybrid, which is impossible due to being so genetically different), I have also caught browns I weren't sure were rainbows or browns, and so has my dad. (To this day, we're still not sure, although I am 99% sure its a brown).

As for rainbows always spawning in the spring... wrong. There are some fall-run rainbows here in the colorado river. The browns are less early fall run then latefall-winter run also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.