FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help Catching Landlocks  (Read 8845 times)

Issiah

Help Catching Landlocks
« on: Jun 21, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I've caught Landlocked Salmon in the past by drifting a wobbler spoon and worm combo. This year I tried "Trolling" for them, with little luck.  With advice from an experienced Salmon Angler I tried running level winding, sinking fly line w/ 50-100ft of  6lb Flourocarbon line.  I've trailed all sorts (Size and Pattern) of Streamers.  The primary species I was targeting was the lake trout and I was running at speeds between 1.3 & 1.9 MPH.   I've tried lots of line behind the boat and keeping it as close as maybe 100ft. Not trolling in a straight line either; lots of "turns".  There is always Salmon surfacing where I am fishing!!   Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!  I'm thinking perhaps it's a speed issue?

1fish@atime

Re: Help Catching Landlocks
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2009, 06:04 PM »
We hit one first thing today. Stiff wind behind us, and I was adjusting the trolling motor. We never hit another, the rainbows were hot though. Ty had just got his pole in the water when the salmon hit. Nothing big but 13" or so. I think going down the lake with the wind we were going allot faster than coming back up. Friend of mine trolled by and he was using a nymph and getting rainbows trolling quite fast. He was changing to a streamer after we told him we caught one.
He said they seem to like 2-3mph? not sure but seems everyone I've caught we were going with the wind so maybe a little faster is better for them.

Issiah

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Was your son using a streamer?

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2009, 08:48 PM »
I know a guy who gets them maybe 20 feet behind the boat he has even said right in the prop wash works sometimes.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Issiah

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I've taken em on Wobblers right behind the boat before;  Maybe I'll try shortening it up a little on the next trip...

Issiah

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2009, 06:32 PM »
bump

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Yeah...  I am heading out on Otsego Lake near Cooperstown tomorrow to troll up some trout, and would love to find a salmon too...   So...  "BUMP"
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

1fish@atime

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2009, 04:29 AM »
He had a pop-gear and worm on.
Talked to a couple guys this week about trolling, one guided lake george for over twenty years, they both said pick up the speed a little and work the line some ie: hand jerks about 1-1 1/2 feet.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2009, 09:56 PM »
Troll faster, over 2mph now. Those speeds you were doing in June is what I run in April/May on Champlain. Mix it up for salmon, try one speed, then speed up, go with the wind and against it. S turns are good, gets the lure to drop and then speed up.

I prefer to run streamers myself, but do run spoons which catch more fish for me. Salmon can be picky depenging on the lake as well. I can dial in certain colors/techniques on Champlain for salmon that won't work as well on other lakes.

Sometimes I can catch salmon 5 feet down and 5 feet back on downriggers, other times they want it 100 feet back. Moderate wave chop on the water is usually good for salmon when they are shallow. This time of year fish are deep, like 30 to 50 feet down.

Issiah

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Thanks for Info   gotta give it another shot soon...  Definitely gonna try faster this time, s turns,  different distances, spoons and streamers have all been tried.  Just gotta keep changing variables until something works.     They still surface in the morning during the heat of the summer, where I fish.  I see what they are feeding on; little white moth lookin things that flutter on the surface...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.