FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing fun.  (Read 74581 times)

Young Catcher

Re: Fishing fun.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 17, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Hi Mr. Water Wolf,

So nice talk with you.
 I have a question here. What species bit earth worm? 
I got many worms, just put a jar in garage, they can live for a long time.
when I use it,  it seems not working.  A lot people say almost every species like worms.
In your experience, which species like worm best? walleye, whitefish,or perch,trout(rainbow),even pike?
Thanks, WW. ( I believe you will become my older brother and friend)

engineman

• Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2010, 09:58 AM »
There ya go Wolfie, the absolute responsibility of fisherman!! To pass on our knowledge and expertise to the next generation. To have someone want us to share our knowledge with them is a great honour. You have a young fellow that looks to you to giude him and help him learn the fantistic sport of fishing!!! Good luck and good fishing!!!! Just remember "the worst day fishing is still better than the best day working"!! Keep your line tight and your worm wigglin!!!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Thanks engineman,
yeah, if I can help anyone even a little with their fishing I am happy to help. :)

I got my uncle started in the sport just a few years ago and now he to is hooked on the great sport.

Hi Young Catcher,
You are correct most fish species like earthworms / nightcrawlers and feed on them from time to time when they get washed into the water.

I have mainly caught perch, walleye and trout on them but they also make good bait for carp, catfish, goldeye, rockbass, whitefish and tullibees/ciscos.

It might be just me, but I haven't had much luck for pike with worms.

I have found for real bait, pike seem to prefer a live leech, frozen minnow or frozen smelt.
I also have good luck with spoons and rubber lures like for pike.

WW

Young Catcher

« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Thanks Water wolf and Engineman.
I agree with you, Engineman, "The worst day fishing is still better than the best day working"
Here I would like to say;" The worst  fishing day is still better than the best school day."
I know that study in school and/or work in a company(or other place) are main part of our life.
But I like fishing much better, I have to study, but the fishing is more interesting.  even though
leaning fishing is not easy either.
Last time I asked about worm as bait to WW.  I have already tested in Saskatoon trout fishing pond.
The rainbow trout hit on worm, and I cought one. Next step I will go to lake Defienbake. See if rainbow trout hit on worm there. and Then check whether it is good for Walleye and Whitefish.....
This year there is so much rain.
I have a question here.   while it is raininig it is possble to catch fish.
other word, the following which one is good, which one is bad.
(1) sunny day for fishing
(2) a few hours before raining for fishing
(3) while it is raining for fishing
(4) a few hours later after raining for fishing.
What is your experience, Thank you so mch.

YC

engineman

« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2010, 10:33 AM »
The only thing I ever caught while fishing in the rain was pneumonia!!! Just after the rain is good, as the rain tends to wash food into the water and  the fish will respond to the increase in food. Having said that, I catch fish in the sun as well, but you have to fish deep for them, and usually a boat is needed, but not always. If possible find a shady area, like on the dark side of a ledge or shoal, or under a bridge, and you should have some success. As for Diefenbaker Lake, don't be too disappointed if you don't do well there, as that is one tough lake to fish!! I hope this helps you. Good Luck!!!

Young Catcher

« Reply #20 on: Jul 05, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Hi Engineman and Water wolf,

This long weekend I went to Lake Defienbaker for fishing,
Engineman is right, That lake is hard to get fish, I spent 4 and half hours, didn't catch any rainbow trout,
instead of that, I just landed one sucker and one small goldeye. so bad. Would you please help me?  Give me some information which lake is easy for fishing. I just know Black strap and lake defienbaker.
I don't care which specy,  pike, walleye,perch,whatever. just easy for fishing. Thank you so much.

-YC

Water Wolf

« Reply #21 on: Jul 06, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Hi Young Angler,
I have have had good fishing before the rain or thunderstorms have moved in. For me I have had the odd bit of luck in the rain but it has mostly been from the boat. It seems during the rain fish drop a bit deeper and feed less.

I have also found it takes a day or two of stable weather before the fishing will turn on again after a storm.

I have had luck on sunny days, but have had just a good if not better luck on cloudy days.

The moon can also affect the fish, I have had better luck for day feeders like pike and perch during the new moon, and better luck
for the night feeder like walleye and burbot during the full moon.

Good to hear that you caught a few at Lake Diefenbaker, the goldeye and sucker is better then a skunk. ;)

I have had my best luck at Cowan Lake, near the town of Big River Sask. It's a few hours North and a bit East of Saskatoon.

My best luck there was 100 fish between the 2 of us on a weekend. You can shorefish but it's much easier with a boat.
This lake has pike, perch and the odd walleye. Pike are the most common catch.

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Hi all,

On July 10th my uncle and I decided to try some afternoon shore fishing.
 It's been a while since we have been out and were surprised on how high the lakes were in the Foam Lake area. :o
We tried to get to a few of our usual spots but found that most of them are now totally flooded. ::)
We eventually found a spot right along the road on the bushline of Whitesand Lake and fished in that area from 2:30pm -9:00pm.

We had a mixed bag of weather. It started off cool and windy with high waves and and rain and ended the evening with calm waters and clear skies.
They say if you don't like the weather in Sask. wait 10 min and it will change. That saying held true for us that afternoon.

A shot of the lake when calmed down.

The area we fished was way too weeds for most of my lures, but I had a few that I rigged weedless and they worked for us.
My uncle used a money minnow and I used a lure called a tiki-toad.

The fishing was not too bad, on my very first cast of the day I feel a tap, set the hook and land the first one of the day, an hour later after the storm had passed I land another one and then the last 2 of the day go to my uncle. In the end we land 4 pike in the 2 - 2.5 lb range.

The results. ;)

We would have probably would have fished a bit longer but those darn mosquetoes were really nasty towards sunset, even with the bug spray they kept on biting and we eventually had enough and left, but we were happy with our results.

WW

Young Catcher

« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Hi Dear Water Wolf,

Good result for you. nice pike.

I hate mosquetoe too.  I don't have a boat yet, it is impossible to get one this year. I will plan to buy one in three years.
for now, I just shoreline fishing, so most of summer time I will be suffering  mosquetoe biting. So I know what your feeling when so many mosquetoes around you.  by the way, I can see the cowan lake is a good place for fishing from GoogleMap.  I will go there someday.   Thank you so much, WaterWolf, myborother.

-YC-

Water Wolf

« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Hi all,

On my latest set of fishing trips I went shore fishing to Fishing Lake for 4 days on Aug.1st, 2nd, 3rd and 8th.

Most of those days were nice, with sunny skies, fairly calm waters and hot temps.
The exception was on Aug 8th when a storm rolled in around 6:30pm cutting my fishing time a bit short.
The storm was a nasty one with intense fork and sheet lightning, very high NW winds and 6 - 7 foot waves.
I haven't seen a storm like that on Fishing Lake, but some of the others around that area have said it's been like that alot this year. :o

I usually fished from 2 - 4 hours each time, either in the early afternoon, or late evening and I found the shore fishing to be pretty good during my time there.

My final results for the 4 days were, 4 pike and 16 walleye. :)
The pike were in the 2-3 lb range and the walleye were 1-2 lb range.

This is the only group that stayed for supper, everyone else went back. 

My uncle fished with me for an hour on the first day and landed a pike.

This walleye was the largest of the group at. 2.3lbs.

A few others.

At one point in the fishing I felt that I was being watched, I turn around and these yellow eyes
were watching me from the willows. :blink:

The bite most of the time was quite lite and all I felt was a little bit more weight on the end my line. The exception was the very first and very last day when they were hitting hard, just before the storms moved in. The lake had some algal bloom which darkend the water a bit more.

Most of the other shore and boat anglers I chatted with also reported good to OK fishing.
I also heard of some nice 6 - 8 lb walleye and 10 - 15 lb pike being caught as well.

For me the fish were hitting on storm wildeyes, single and double curly tail grubs, weight forward spinners and tube jigs.

I hope the fish there stay active. 
It was a treat for me to fish for them when they were that aggressive. :w00t:

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Hi all,

I only got away fishing 3 times during this past month.
Sept. 4th was the start of my fall fishing.  My destination, Fishing Lake, for 3 hours of shore fishing in the afternoon.
It was cool, with a fair SE wind, but at least the fish were biting.
During my time I caught 4 walleye and 1 pike.

This was the biggest walleye at 2.1 lbs, the rest were around the 1 - 1.5 lb mark.

The only pike.

The pike and one walleye stayed, but the rest went back.

On Sept. 17th,I was passing through the Greenwater Lake area and decided to try a little lake just off the beaten track called Round Lake.
It was a bit of a breezy evening, but I though I would try it for an hour before it got too dark.
In that time I had a nibble and landed one 1.6 lb walleye.

Round lake is a quiet, neat little lake.  I would like to try it again when I can fish it a bit longer.

The third trip was on Sept. 26th where the family and I went to Fishing Lake for a few hours in the afternoon.
While we were there my uncle and I did some shore fishing in the great late Sept. temps, however the fish were few and far between.
In the end I lost one nice pike at the shore and my uncle landed a long and lean 4.3 lb pike.

All those little white specks around us are mosquitoes.

They were darn nasty during the last 20 min of fishing. :P

Due to some surgery my uncle has been away from the fishing scene for some time, but now he is ready to give it a try again.
I am glad he at least landed one that evening. :)

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Hi all,
Here is my fishing results for Oct.

My Oct. fishing started with 3 fishing trips in a row on the 9th, 10th and 11th.

My first trip was to Whitesand lake. I fished for roughly 4 hours, and on my very 1st cast I get a hit just a few feet from shore and land a chunky 4.5lb pike.

I fish for a bit and then have one bite me off, followed by 2 more who throw the hook, finally I land another half an hour before I leave.

Day 2 found me in the same general area as day 1.
In the 3 hours of fishing I land 6 pike, 3 of which are over 5.5 lbs. :)

On day 3 I only fish for an hour or so, but in that time I land a 1.5 and a 6.5 lb pike.

I would have had more fish photos, but my camera's batteries went dead on day 1.

In the end the weather was great for the 3 days I was fishing with temps in the mid 20's {just like summer again} and the fish were cooperating.  I hope they are in that mood  for some time to come.

The pike hit on soft plastic minnows, spoons and crankbaits.

Sunday, Oct. 23rd.
The family and I set off for an afternoon drive, our destination was to explore the area and lakes in and around McBride Lake.

It was a cloudy and cool afternoon but it was still neat to see new the sights.

We checked out Parr Hill Lake, Pepaw Lake and McBride Lake.

We have been to McBride Lake and Saginas Lake before but the other spots were new to us.
They all looked like they should provide some fishing opportunities.

I also found some new bodies of water I will have to explore in the future.
Around Preecevile area Ketchen Lake, Annie Larier Lake, Nelson Lake and the Assiniboine River looked interesting in the Porcupine Forest area, Cutarm Lake, Tennant Lake, White Lake and the Swan River.

The only animals we saw in that area were ravens, blue jays and a large black wolf.
The wolf was very neat to see. 8) 
It crossed the road ahead of us in just a few strides and dissapeared into the forest like a ghost.

There were also alot of big game hunters about.

It was late in the afternoon when we stopped to fish.
We only fished for about 45 min, but by the time we finished it was dark.

In that time my uncle lost a lure on a snag and then caugh it and got it back 10 min later.

I had a 2-3 lb pike follow me in and take a swipe at the lure at my rod tip.

A few min later I made a cast and just as I got to the edge of the reed bed near shore the lure stopped dead. Thinking I snagged on the reeds I gently applied a bit of pressure, it then began to slowy move away from me, it was a fish. I set the hook harder this time and the fish exploded in one long run, almost spooling me.
The fish did this 3 more times, before the line went slack. I thought for sure I lost it but, no, it was racing towards me, I quickly picked up the slack and the fish went for the reeds, I got it out of there and my uncle netted it, a dandy McBride Lake Pike. :)

She was 37 inches long and 12 inches around.
I never weighed her as I wanted to get her back for release, but from the few calculations I got online she is between 15 - 18 lbs. :o

I got her on a swimbait without a steel leader.  Luckily she was hooked just in the corner of the mouth.

She posed for the picts, and was released.
With a flick of her tail she rocked off, sending a great bulge of water ahead of her and a good shower in the face and chest for me,lol. :laugh:

She is my biggest Pike of the open water season. ;D

This may have been my last trip of the open water season but at least I was not skunked.

I will definitely be back to the McBride Lake area, hopefully some time this winter. ;)

WW

engineman

« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2010, 03:17 PM »
Nice big snake to end the season wolfie!!!! WTG ;D ;D ;D

Water Wolf

« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Thanks enginman,
I was very happy to find that big one. ;D

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Hi all,

On Sat. May 21st I started my first day of fishing for the new 2011 open water season. ;D

I was unsure where to start my adventure but though I would try around the Fishing Lake area. That area was a bit difficult to access, all the good fishing areas, and the ones that were open, had a good number of anglers present.  I opted to try Stony or Whitesand / Pelican Lake, to the E, only to discover a sign across the road saying road out, now what. :P

I decided to try furter E and see what I could find.
I finally came to Theodore Reservoir and thought I would start my season there.

Most of the day was cool and windy, but in that area I was sheltered from the strong winds and with the cloud cover it was just a nice temp and no biting insects.

I fished from 4:00pm - 8:30pm.

It was quite peacful with lots of bird life and sound of nature all around. 
I was happy to be out again and I was hoping the fish would cooperate.

As I started fishing, a boat anchored  just beyond my casting distance and found the fish. The 3 guys caught 2 smaller pike, 3 perch sized walleye and 5-6 medium perch.  The other boats that trolled by also landed a fish here and there, again mostly small walleye and perch.

The fish were jumping from time to time all evening.

I had decent acton from shore as well.  About 20 min into the fishing I land my first fish of the new open water season. :)

Man, that felt good to feel the tug again, but I also land another 4 pike and a bonus walleye that evening.
Like always, only a few pike stayed, most went back including the walleye.

This is the big fish of the evening at 3.1lbs.

The rest were 2 - 2.5 lbs except for the smallest pike and walleye which would be around 1.5 lbs., maybe.

The pike hit spoons, smelts on a jig and swimbaits and the walleye hit a spoon.

Two of the pike hit just a few feet from shore and with only 4-5 feet of line made for a close quarter battle. I was able to watch both of them streek in and slam the lure before it left the water. :o

I also had one more grab the lure right in front of me, but unfortunatly it grabbed the lure and not the hook. I wrestled it right to my feet before it just opened it's mouth and swam off,lol. :laugh:

In the end I was happy with my first trip of the season, and hope the fish keep on biting. 8)

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.