FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Bomaseen - I need some help  (Read 3877 times)

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Lake Bomaseen - I need some help
« on: Jun 18, 2004, 06:26 PM »
I am lucky enough to be staying on Lake Bomaseen for a week (2nd week of July) and will be doing some fishing - bass and trout - I've never been to Bomaseen and don't know what some good patterns will be and/or baits.  Not looking for any hot spots, just a general idea what works.  I have never fished around water chestnuts, and don't have any idea what to do around those.  Thanks for any help in advance.  Nevertheless I'm going to have a good time ;)  Thanks - Fishercat
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

fishfanatic

Re: Lake Bomaseen - I need some help
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2004, 10:05 AM »
Fisher,
There are no water chestnuts in Lake Bomoseen, that time of the year early in the morning will be your best bet for both species.  They troll for trout with lead core line with 10-12 feet of mono on the end, then they put a flasher rig on the end, tip with a large minnow.  This symbolizes a ball of bait fish.  Not really a bass fisherman but probably early they will be shallow and spinnerbaits and top water will work, later they probably move into the deeper weeds or structure.  Your best bet would be to stop into Tom's Bait and Tackle in Bommoseen, RT 4A.  They will steer you in the right direction.

fishercat

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2004, 06:18 PM »
Fishfanatic  Thanks for the info.  My bad on the chestnuts - was told that  from a bad source. That is why I posted to the board thought I could get some info from someone that is in the area or fishes there.  Will definitely stop into Tom's Bait and Tackle.
Thanks.   :)
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Actually they have found water chestnuts in Bomoseen.  There were only a few up in the shallow north end, but they are doing their best to pull them all out.  There are tons of good bass spots. 

boerboel

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2004, 09:03 AM »
There is also eurasian watermilfoil, I believe.  That stuff interferes with largemouth bass fishing (I'm sure local have tactics to cope with it).  There are some huge smallmouths (5lbs +) in the lake if you can find them. There are brown trout by the green dump but they will be pretty deep in  July - plan to use lead core or wire line if you don't have downriggers.   I troll with floating rapalas or light spoons behind lake trolls (a series of spinners to get the fish's attention) or, occasionally, a dodger. There is a deep hole (about 60') just NW of Neshobe Island that would probably hold some trout in July although i have never fished it. 

fishercat

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2004, 11:20 AM »
Thanks boerboel got wire and lead core also one downrigger. Should be able to come up with somthing.

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2004, 01:53 PM »
Anywhere from the Kehoe Access (green dump) out to the middle and west side of the island produce browns.  Just keep looking for them on your fish finder.  If nothing in that strech sometimes the trout head into the bay where the state park is.  Last year they were hanging out about 4 colors down.  That should be a start.

fishercat

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2004, 02:12 PM »
Thanks Little Brown  Dog will  post  my results.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.