FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623773 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4020 on: Jun 16, 2021, 05:23 PM »
RG i tried the 48 with a gurgler then a foam frog 2vthings i noticed  ,you have to get use to the roll or yourcast is sloopy ....the second  thing i loved the control of the retrieve ....it was a solid hook set .....i want to playwith them  more and take my time ..... as of right now a thumps up
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4021 on: Jun 16, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Thanks for the input. Like anything, you have to get used to it.

You’re right though, the retrieve is awesome. Quick short pops. Payette  paste will float those all day long. Not a bad thing when fishing topwater of any kind.

Have fun with them.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #4022 on: Jun 16, 2021, 07:22 PM »
tell you this RG ,i think if you were fly fishing for bass  in the matt ,you couldn't find a  better set up i'd use a  heavy short tippet and work a  foam frog on the matt ....it would get fun ,be a lot easier working  a bucket mouth in weeds with this set up..... i think we need to give this matter further research  :D

trapper2000

« Reply #4023 on: Jun 21, 2021, 04:56 AM »
pounded some slob bluegills all the big gills were 7 to 10foot down  so i went with beadhead weighted..... most gillswere hooked on the drop just as it got dark they came to the top....was fun day sun got hot

trapper2000

« Reply #4024 on: Jun 23, 2021, 01:39 PM »
cold snap  slowed the bit but i wirkedand got 20 good kills all deep yesterday  today more activity  this morning i got 20 so heading back after lunch...allon a pt nymph

trapper2000

« Reply #4025 on: Aug 31, 2021, 06:06 PM »
late in the season it's cricket and hopper time .... i just tied a few davie mcphail crickets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyRK8hXmkt8

this is a great pattern  but i can't take credit  i just copied it  from from  davie great fly  fun to tie and really not hard

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4026 on: Sep 04, 2021, 06:35 AM »
They’re easy to tie if you have the right materials. Don’t know how he manages to get a knot in a turkey biot though. Hard for me to do with my big paws. I have to use tweezers.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #4027 on: Sep 04, 2021, 06:42 AM »
They’re easy to tie if you have the right materials. Don’t know how he manages to get a knot in a turkey biot though. Hard for me to do with my big paws. I have to use tweezers.

i decided to order a  cricket leg foam cutter ..... can't  tie  a  even knot in them  either but in a hour i'll cut more legs then i'll use in years ...... that  cricket is a  great  pattern   RG  gills  love t

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4028 on: Sep 04, 2021, 10:24 AM »
Yeah, I’ve got quite a few different cricket patterns. Anyway, reading this and the cooler weather got me to straighten up my hobby room and fly tying bench.

The other thing is Davie gets the best of the best in materials. Most likely given to him. We get what we can get our hands on.
But, substitution leads to creativity sometimes.

trapper2000

« Reply #4029 on: Sep 04, 2021, 11:18 AM »
i was looking at one of the  foam cutters  (melters) for under 10 bucks it might be  worth it .......i know  even  though fur prices   are nothing  i love to  put a  few  hides  up  every year  a few  sell   but it keeps me stocked up.....my grand daughter  put a  purple  streak in her hair and  she  said  gramps you think it's bad huh i said i  don't care but  do you think you could  dye  muskrat and  fox fur????? ........we  could be  dyeing our own  squirrel tails!  :D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4030 on: Sep 04, 2021, 01:01 PM »
Davie has some great videos on dying feathers. Don’t know about fur.

trapper2000

« Reply #4031 on: Sep 04, 2021, 01:05 PM »
i love muskrat  for dubbing easy to work with.... i would be great if i could dye  them

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4032 on: Sep 04, 2021, 01:34 PM »
I’m sure you can. Probably have to shave the fur off the hide though. The hide would probably get really funky after boiling it and adding vinegar/ dye.

trapper2000

« Reply #4033 on: Sep 04, 2021, 02:05 PM »
if you  shaved it off and  dyed it after drying  just store in zip locks or jars  .....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4034 on: Sep 04, 2021, 03:41 PM »
You got me thinking. Checked out a couple YouTube videos. They guy shaved the fur (rabbit in this case) off the hide. Washed it in water and Dawn. Then used Jacquard Acid Dye to color. It’s a process and looks to be pretty stinky. The dye is available all over. Amazon, Joanne fabrics and such.

Might try it this winter if I get really bored.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.