FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trip to Alaska questions?  (Read 5280 times)

sunkhaze1

Trip to Alaska questions?
« on: Jun 03, 2012, 07:11 PM »
I dont see a lot of traffic here on the Alaska section but hoping someone in the great state can put me onto an outfitter for a trip I want to plan for next summer. I was on the Kenai last year for a famiy vacation so I didnt fish much but got enough of a taste to realize that I want to take a trip there with a few of the boys for a fishing only trip. I am mostly intersted in getting flown into a remote cabin and doing a self guided trip, we are all keen fishermen and cooks so we really dont want/need a guide we just want to be remote and have access to good fishing with a boat. Any input would be great, the internet has a million options so I am just hoping for some real world experience and reccomendations. Thanks and looking forward to getting up there with a bunch of fellow Mainers.
Born to fish, Forced to work. Someday that will change.

lilley

Re: Trip to Alaska questions?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2012, 03:11 PM »
I've been going up to AK for about 8 years now.  My first trip was to the Kenai River and knew real fast that wasn't for me.  If I was going to spend the money and time to go somewhere like AK I wanted to see some beautiful country without a lot of people, catch fish and see wildlife.

A friend of mine bought a camp outside of King Salmon on the Naknek River a couple of years after that and since then I've been going there for fishing and bear viewing.

http://naknekrivercamp.com

It's not the ritz - and Jim will be the first to tell you that.  But as far as knowledge of catching rainbows, salmon, dollies, grayling, lake trout and even northern pike, he is one of the best.  He owned a lodge on the Pere Marquette in Michigan for 15 years before heading to SW Alaska and is well known for his guiding and hosting people.  It's a family operation - his 3 kids and wife all have a hand in the business.

If you want to know when to go and what you'd see and catch, ask me and I'll do my best to help.  Or drop Jim an email.  Right now IS the time to book for next summer.  He fills up fast, mainly because of his low rate and great guides.

My best is a 35 inch rainbow but there's been bows caught over 36 inches on the Naknek by NRC's clients.  It has one of the best sockeye runs in early July, a fair king run late June and early July, a good silver run in August and the big bows come out in September to eat eggs. 

One real nice things is they boat to a lot of places other lodges fly to, which costs a lot more $$$.  No extra charge at NRC and the boat rides are sensational!!

Hope this helps.

sunkhaze1

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2012, 12:50 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out.
Born to fish, Forced to work. Someday that will change.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:32 AM »
I've been going up to AK for about 8 years now.  My first trip was to the Kenai River and knew real fast that wasn't for me.  If I was going to spend the money and time to go somewhere like AK I wanted to see some beautiful country without a lot of people, catch fish and see wildlife.

A friend of mine bought a camp outside of King Salmon on the Naknek River a couple of years after that and since then I've been going there for fishing and bear viewing.

http://naknekrivercamp.com

It's not the ritz - and Jim will be the first to tell you that.  But as far as knowledge of catching rainbows, salmon, dollies, grayling, lake trout and even northern pike, he is one of the best.  He owned a lodge on the Pere Marquette in Michigan for 15 years before heading to SW Alaska and is well known for his guiding and hosting people.  It's a family operation - his 3 kids and wife all have a hand in the business.

If you want to know when to go and what you'd see and catch, ask me and I'll do my best to help.  Or drop Jim an email.  Right now IS the time to book for next summer.  He fills up fast, mainly because of his low rate and great guides.

My best is a 35 inch rainbow but there's been bows caught over 36 inches on the Naknek by NRC's clients.  It has one of the best sockeye runs in early July, a fair king run late June and early July, a good silver run in August and the big bows come out in September to eat eggs. 

One real nice things is they boat to a lot of places other lodges fly to, which costs a lot more $$$.  No extra charge at NRC and the boat rides are sensational!!

Hope this helps.
RIGHT ON,THIS IS THE PLACE,i fished the river for 10 days,used spinners C/R about 20 fish a day
but not much else there just fishing and bears,moose,eagles ,seals,and dirt roads
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.