FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Catch and Release Tools for Muskies  (Read 8462 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Catch and Release Tools for Muskies
« on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Hi everyone.

I wrote a blog post titled, "The Right Tools for Catch and Release Musky Fishing" and thought that anyone getting into targeting muskies might want to use as a resource.  These are pretty special fish, so having the right equipment to catch them is one thing, but having the right equipment once you catch one to ensure that musky's survival is also important.  That's what this blog post portrays.

I hope that you find in informative whether or not you're new to musky fishing.

icin_eyes

Re: Catch and Release Tools for Muskies
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Good post Kevin. Having the right tools handy makes things much easier and quicker. Not as big of an issue now but real important to release them quickly during the hot summer months. If I would have had a jaw spreader in the boat last weekend I could have saved myself a little blood loss.  :P

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Thanks Icin'...

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!  It's like battle scars though!   ;D

Got a pic with your fish?

Not as big of an issue now but real important to release them quickly during the hot summer months.

Absolutely.  I was thinking about posting a post about the general care of muskies while catch and release fishing for a future blog post.  That's really important though, so it can't be said enough.  Some people won't even fish for them after the temperatures reach 82 degrees and higher because it's so hard on them.  That's why if you're targeting them, the right tackle for the job is even more important (another future blog post).

icin_eyes

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2012, 02:38 PM »

Well this was the one that bit me. Lol. The 38"er jumped out of the net before we could get a pic. I have a blurry pic of the 43" but not handy at the moment.  I was surprised how lively these fish were in 39 degree water. I usually don't fish for them this late in the year but catch a few while targeting walleye.  This year I plan on targeting musky until ice up. 

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Nice fish Icin'!  I love fishing for them this time of year.  I think that they bite pretty good in the late fall through winter.  I used to think muskies preferred that warmer water, but lately I'm beginning to think of them as a cold water fish.   

Let's see the 43" blurry pic...who cares if it's not a great pic, at least that's a good fish and that will make the picture better.

icin_eyes

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2012, 03:54 PM »
I'm starting To like this late fall fishing as well. Gonna give it another go tomorrow.   Here is the blurry pic and an example of how not to properly hold a musky. Lol.  This was his first musky and 43".

wally13

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:31 PM »
nice fish and good post  nice pic's too what bait or lure did you use? my pb personal best was like 35or 37 inch fishing the lower niagra river lewiston,new york   fishing for bass the the musky hit a whole night crawler

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2012, 12:13 AM »
Icin' if he wants to do it again and loves these fish, then he'll learn the right way.  That's a nice start getting the first one over 40".

Wally, the first one hit a locally made glider called a Hot Tail.  The next one hit a Bucher Shallow Raider in baitfish color.  The last one being released was caught on a Bucher Deep Raider in chrome green.  I picked that lure up on sale at Gander a couple years ago.  I had zero confidence in it but decided to try it.  After a few casts, fish on!  The last on pictured hit a Musky Innovations Realfish in Sucker pattern.  I also caught on not pictured in the blog that was mid 30's that hit a husky jerk in gold, black back, orange belly while walleye fishing.  I had musky fished all afternoon and my shoulders were sore, so I decided to fish some lighter stuff for walleyes, and wham, musky on! That was my first two musky day.  I hope to duplicate that tomorrow along with a PB!

icin_eyes

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Ugh that's when it always happens. Get tired of casting for musky. Switch it up and BANG! Musky. Usually ends up in a lure donation. It did last week anyway when I donated the same xrap to a low 40's musky after catching a couple nice eyes.

By the way, fished 6 hrs midday today. No musky action. Just 2 stinking catfish. Lol

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Same here Icin'...I fished Saturday for 9 hours tossing nothing but musky lures in good musky water.  I didn't even get a sniff.  I managed to tire my arms and shoulders out with all that casting practice.

The water was gin clear, could see 10' down. 

I did see a walleye though sitting on the bottom in 8' of water that looked pretty big.  My buddy tried to get it to bite, but all it would do is move away from the lure than back to his holding spot.  It looked like a mid 20's size eye to me.

icin_eyes

« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:59 PM »
What is your water temp down there?  I was seeing 36-37 deg.  Gin clear and low. Need a warm rain or a cold snap to lock up some ice.

wally13

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:41 PM »
good post good luck fishing

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2012, 12:32 PM »
Thanks Wally13!

Icin' the last time that I went it was 38-40 degrees from morning through afternoon.  It should go up with this warm spell a couple degrees, but by the weekend will drop back down.  We need rain too to at least give the water a little color (but far enough South so as to not slow the ice building process up North)... ;D

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Please note, if you tried to read the article and the link didn't work, please try again.  The link above now works.  Hope you all like the post.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.