FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: tips & tricks  (Read 35046 times)

Pikeguy

Re: tips & tricks
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 12:50 PM »
How about some gas and a bic lighter... :o

POOF!!!!!!!!! LOL :o

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 04:13 PM »
To cure poison ivy, crush jewel weed into a fine paste and apply to the affected skin every few hours. The rash will go away quickly.

akdg

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 04:40 PM »
Sterno is an excellent fire starter, especially when things are wet and you are in a hurry.  Plus it comes in a waterproof can that protects it and can be used for other things if needed.    There are two cans in my survival/emergency kit  ;D

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 04:44 PM »
Or in my case be immune to them   ;D

thats awefully handy down at the walleye pond, isn't it?  ;D

Big Burk

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 07:01 PM »
bug spray and a lighter  ;D always works to start fires even when wet :D

Hoppes

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 06:23 PM »
I carefully peel the lint of my dryers lint catcher.....(actually my wife collects the stuff for me and piles it up on my reloading bench)  I take twine, lay it on about a 4 inch square of lint with a loop extending an inch or so out of the lint then fold in half.  I then take the pad of lint with the "wick" loop hanging out and lay it in paraffin that I've melted in an old pan. After it saturates, I scoop it out with a spatula and lay it on wax paper.  The loop serves as a wick for lighting later and also enables you to hang them in hunting camp for your buddies to grab.  This little pad will burn hot for about 5-7 minutes.  I've been known to take printed pictures, put them on the 2x2 square and dip them in wax a few times with the lint.  A good memento of a special hunt, fishing derby etc.  You may laugh but my family always looks forward to getting one of these little firestarters on our family hunts and fishing trips.
Hoppes

Hoppes

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2006, 06:34 PM »
When hunting, I take a small but essential "survival" kit with me.  I take about 25' of parachute cord and wrap it tightly with a 1 1/2" loop on one end to slip over my belt.  Nice if you have to drag a deer out a couple of miles.  Could get into what is included in my survival kit but suffice to say, firestarter, couple lighters, good whistle, sharp knife (all knives should be sharp) couple power bars, LED headlamp with fresh batteries. (These things last 150 hours on a couple AAs.)  Don't have to worry about the light being on in the pack etc.  Very lightweight...  I tend to stuff to much into my fanny sack but have used it once in a survival situation and have never regretted the extra couple pounds since.
Hoppes

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #37 on: Jul 08, 2006, 07:09 AM »
A space blanket ! Small, lite and provides warmth and shelter .

Rumrunner

• I think we're leanin'........
« Reply #38 on: Apr 23, 2007, 09:07 PM »
I have found that, while camping, a propane torch sets a fire quickly. 
M.I.R.C.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #39 on: Apr 26, 2007, 12:28 PM »
I just bought a cool survival kit. It is called a suvival kit in a sardine can. It is very light weight, has matches, rope fishhooks, fishing line, bandages, fire starters, candy bar, tea packet, bollion cubes. I wrapped a emergency space blanket, and a poncho around it and it all weighs a total of 8 ounces and it stays in it's own pouch on my pack.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #40 on: Apr 26, 2007, 03:54 PM »
I just bought a cool survival kit. It is called a suvival kit in a sardine can. It is very light weight, has matches, rope fishhooks, fishing line, bandages, fire starters, candy bar, tea packet, bollion cubes. I wrapped a emergency space blanket, and a poncho around it and it all weighs a total of 8 ounces and it stays in it's own pouch on my pack.

Throw in a couple airline bottles of Jack Daniels.   ;)

putback

« Reply #41 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:18 PM »
A section of an old shot shell belt w/elastic loops and plastic film canisters. A compact, organized way to carry everything from spices to fish hooks. Some things my Scouts came up with. Reflective mylar strip, can roll approx 4 ft in a can. Fish line loosely wrapped around sponge, insert in can, pinhole in cover w/line protruding, sponge expands no tangle, pull out what you need. Xmas tree tinsel for emergency trail marking. Sling shot replacement bands for small game. These kids were so resourceful I once found one with a page of playboy, neatly folded and rolled into that little film canister on an overnighter! You have to know it was hard to chew him out with a straight face. I still use that fish line trick for leader material on the river, smart kid. And yes the "playboy kid" made Eagle!

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2007, 10:56 AM »
Here's a link to the survival kit in a can I was talking about. It should help get you through at least 1 night in the woods in an emergency.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/surkit.html

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 08:18 AM »
Jezuz, a lot of suggestions to make a fire... I spend maybe 40 nights a year sleeping under the stars and I have never failed to make a fire with kindling, wood and a match. Call me old fashioned I guess...

Jerms32

« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2013, 04:54 PM »
I always make sure to bring along painters plastic while tent camping. Makes for a great vapor barrier underneath the air mattress
The only way to know,is to see it for yourself

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.