FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 302270 times)

cnypanfisher

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4260 on: Jun 10, 2021, 06:48 AM »
I scored this off the side of the road last week for free. Going to bring the lady some garlic later this month.

My friend has 1700 garlic in, the elephant garlic is starting to get scapes on them to trim. If he doesnt sell them I'm gonna get some to pickle, sounds good to me.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4261 on: Jun 10, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Nice score! I’ve looked at that style of compost bin . I like them.

Rg
“You can observe a lot by watching.“

Yogi

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4262 on: Jun 10, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Nice cny.   I had an original compost tumbler.  The barrel was tin.   Rusted out over the years... :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4263 on: Jun 10, 2021, 12:47 PM »
I just notices tiny green tomatoes on one of my plants. We’re anxiously awaiting a big BLT with our own tomatoes.

Rg

Yogi

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #4264 on: Jun 10, 2021, 02:48 PM »
We had BLT’s for dinner last night…they were good, but not homegrown tomato/lettuce good…going to be a while for us.
Trying something new this year, keeping all flowers off the tomatoes until they reach 18” tall. An old timer told me that he gets much bigger and healthier tomatoes this way. Also said you get less tomatoes overall but the quality is much better.
We’ll see….

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #4265 on: Jun 10, 2021, 02:49 PM »
Heading out to cut the garlic scapes…going to try and pickle them this year as someone suggested.

fishinator

« Reply #4266 on: Jun 10, 2021, 02:55 PM »
We had BLT’s for dinner last night…they were good, but not homegrown tomato/lettuce good…going to be a while for us.
Trying something new this year, keeping all flowers off the tomatoes until they reach 18” tall. An old timer told me that he gets much bigger and healthier tomatoes this way. Also said you get less tomatoes overall but the quality is much better.
We’ll see….
I pull all the flowers off my peppers until they are about 2' tall. I also top them when they are about a foot tall, makes them branch out like crazy.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4267 on: Jun 10, 2021, 05:05 PM »
Heading out to cut the garlic scapes…going to try and pickle them this year as someone suggested.

I munched a few as I was cutting them. At least the mosquitos won’t bother me.

Rg

Yogi

cnypanfisher

« Reply #4268 on: Jun 10, 2021, 06:31 PM »

We’ll see….
The trick to good tomatoes is to plant the little ones sideways. That way more of the stem becomes root, stronger plants every time. I kid you not, old amish secret, or on a lot of raised bed videos. 😉

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #4269 on: Jun 10, 2021, 08:01 PM »
That’s very interesting and makes a lot of sense…going to have to try that next season.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #4270 on: Jun 10, 2021, 10:40 PM »
I've tried trenching them with good results , but I've also had plants shoot up from the buried part instead of just roots

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4271 on: Jun 12, 2021, 05:10 AM »
Me and the two little Amish girls got 4000 mums planted yesterday.....   There a lot faster than this old guy..,, 8)

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4272 on: Jun 12, 2021, 06:35 AM »
I use this one.

Huge variety and so easy. I just scratch up the soil with a hard rake, spread and walk around on it to push it in a bit. Stuff starts blooming by the end of may and continues right to the hard frost.

You’ll love it. We’re always amazed at all the flowers.

Rg

RG, think it’s too late to throw this down on a newly cleared space?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4273 on: Jun 12, 2021, 09:04 AM »
Nope! Just scatter and rake in a little. Give it a little water and that’s all you have to do. You’ll have flowers till late fall.

Rg

Yogi

DANMAN

« Reply #4274 on: Jun 15, 2021, 06:44 PM »
New raised beds this year from rough cut lumber.  Pea pirates already after the vines. 😜

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.