FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ND boats  (Read 2436 times)

spedray

ND boats
« on: Jun 14, 2016, 10:13 AM »
I am looking at a boat in North Dakota and the owner said they don't issue boat titles, and only need a bill of sale. Does this sound right? Would hate to get back to find out I can't get it registered in Montana. Anybody know how much of s pain it would be to do?

Lundin-loading

Re: ND boats
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2016, 11:29 AM »
He is correct, and it is an absolute pain in the ass to register it once you get it home
Beauty

sra61

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2016, 04:16 PM »
I just bought my boat in March in ND. They don't have titles for boats or the trailers for them. They have a registration for the boat, which is what you need to license it here. The trailer will have no registration at all. Mine didn't even have a VIN. I had to have some type of law enforcement, ie. FWP, Sheriff, Police or State Trooper inspect the trailer and verify there was no VIN. Then I went to DMV and paid for a VIN for the trailer. I took a strip of aluminum and stamped the VIN on it, and riveted it to the tongue. Then had the law enforcement guy inspect it again, (preferably the same officer, so as to not have to explain the whole thing over again). Then I got the title and registration for the trailer. I know it sounds like a nightmare, but it really wasn't that bad. I did some research and found this and printed it and took it with me:
https://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/mv/docs/faqtrailers.pdf 
They may want to argue that they require registrations for a boat trailer in ND. Refer them to the 5th line, the 2nd bullet, where it describes trailers not requiring registration which includes trailers used to haul boats. There are good deals on boats and stuff in ND now with the Bakken slowed down.
This is where I found my boat.
http://www.bismanonline.com/

TinkerS

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2016, 09:54 AM »
I bought one out of ND last fall, not a problem to get it registered, took a week tops.  I do live in Deer Lodge though so DMV is right here, but I don't know that makes a difference other than its a lot easier to get the correct info face to face verses over the phone.  There are way more boats and prices are way better than just about anything you will find in MT.   

spedray

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2016, 10:33 PM »
Ended up passing on the boat. The dmv in Bozeman is such a pain to deal with. Wasn't going to be worth my hassle after talking to them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.