FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Downrigger Trolling from Pontoon Boat  (Read 3817 times)

ericbres

Downrigger Trolling from Pontoon Boat
« on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:42 AM »
Just purchased a new 22' pontoon boat to replace our old center console to be a more "family friendly" boat and was looking for some advise/input as I try to get it set up before fishing season begins here in the Northeast. It's a 22' tri-toon with a 150hp … I'd like to move my 2 dual-rod manual Cannon downriggers onto the back of it (there is a short "swim platform" on the back I can use) but I've got some questions.

1. Am I in for grief trying to get a proper trolling speed with the 150hp Merc? With such an investment already (and new wakeboarding gear for the kids on the horizon) I don't see a kicker motor on my budget. Should I be considering a drift-sock or something? Or should I be ok? I can't imagine an electric would move something so big, but I do have one that I use for the crawdad.

2. I was under the impression from a conversation w a guy at the marina someone made/sold a stand that I could put the riggers on, much like bass fishing seats, that sits in bases on the back of the boat. So I could easily put them in and remove them when not fishing. But haven't found anything anywhere. Is there such an item? If so, where?

3. Anything else I should consider/that will be different/I will need to "get used to", again being a guy whos been fishing out of a 20' center console for the past 6 years or so?

Thanks in advance. I know there's some info on here - and I found some already, but much seemed dated.

zwiggles

Re: Downrigger Trolling from Pontoon Boat
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2019, 01:56 PM »
If it’s a newer 150 4 stroke, we can get ours down to around 1.7 with trolling/drift socks. That’s is on a deep v 19’ boat however. Not sure if your boat will draft more or less.

For the riggers I’d consider a trolling board to mount the riggers on if possible. I do also have cannon electric riggers, and they mount to a swivel base you can get from cannon.

Also if your going the route of adding a motor to get down I’d consider going with an I pilot control and a trolling motor. With enough batteries you can go for quite a while at those very slow trolling speeds around mph.

ericbres

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2019, 10:35 AM »
It is (newer 4 stroke) - only 2 years old (thankfully, our old Merc gave us nothing but grief) - so that's good news. I'll look into drift socks. Have never used one but have a basic understanding of their function thanks to my time in the CG. And I'm sure there are plenty of Youtube videos out there.

Hadn't considered a trolling board? The boat has a tow bar that sticks up the back for the skiers that may get in the way, but, now that youve got me thinking about a board, it may make the whole process much easier for me to put in/remove when not fishing?

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Yep a trolling board would be the way to go. Make it so you can easily remove or install it. I have one on my regular boat that uses pins (bolts) that fit into the oar locks. I would think a 2 by 6 would be plenty and maybe even a 2 by 4.

I think a Pontoon boat would be a great way to troll. A nice flat platform to move around on and easy access to the down riggers.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

gotagetm

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:38 PM »
i use a trolling restrickter plate on my 90 horse on my 18 foot tracker , can get way down in speed under 1mph but still running on enough rpm:s not to load up cause its a 2 stroke my buddy has newer tracker with 150 four stroke and he put same plate on his and can troll slow also

JJBat150

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Not my boat, But I like this for mounting down riggers...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.