FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: winni derby (may }  (Read 5539 times)

hardwatergrampa

winni derby (may }
« on: May 04, 2021, 10:40 AM »
havent fished it in a few years who plans to fish it derby entry sure gone up

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: winni derby (may }
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 01:55 PM »
havent fished it in a few years who plans to fish it derby entry sure gone up

Never fished it, not much of a tournament guy plus I suck at catching salmon anyway.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Would love to see it go away and never return.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

swnoel

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 04:10 PM »
Would love to see it go away and never return.

Including the winter derby!

winnicookie

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 04:12 PM »
I agree.  Hurts the salmon population but unfortunately brings to much $$$ to the region

AquaAssassin

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Including the winter derby!

Agreed!

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 05:51 PM »
There’s a reason they are doing another stocking AFTER the derby. That should say it all.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 06:32 PM »
There’s a reason they are doing another stocking AFTER the derby. That should say it all.

That makes a lot of sense. It doesn’t matter what you do those juvis don’t take well to treble hooks.

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 07:42 PM »
didnt they start that to help the fishing on the lake years ago was the talk of all derbies i just dont see 65.00 to enter  and then paying all the taxes if you win

Steve H.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 06:40 AM »
i just dont see 65.00 to enter 

It's up to $65???  No thanks.  I agree they should end these.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

ishoot308

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 10:44 AM »
For the life of me I have no idea what NHF&G is thinking by allowing a "SALMON" fishing derby on Winni right now...and I say Salmon because that is the targeted fish to get first prize. They full well know the salmon fishery has crashed on Winni and there own fall netting results has proven this. There are no or very few 3, 4, and 5 year old age class salmon in the lake currently. These missing age classes make up on average 75% of the the total salmon population in the lake. Why on earth would they have a derby that targets the already depleted  salmon population?? It makes no sense whatsoever!

I have actually heard some from F&G say the derby does no harm to the salmon population...I call total BS on this!!  Not many know or remember this but this derby started by the late Rick Davis was originally started to REDUCE the population of salmon specifically in lake Winnipesaukee because of over stocking and lack of smelt forage. I remember how F&G stated back then how great the derby worked to reduce the population but now today it magically no longer harms the salmon???...How is that possible?

If they want to have the derby and the almighty dollar means that much, why not target lake trout as the primary fish and remove salmon altogether from the prize list?  Lake trout are in a totally different water column than salmon in the month of May so very few salmon would be accidentally caught. Lord knows the lake has way too many Lake Trout in it now...and while we are at it why not add a rock bass category for kids??

If anyone here believes that only the "boarded" fish are affected by the derby, think again... Living on Welch Island I see first hand the results of all the mishandled and hook wounded salmon that wash up on my shoreline for two weeks after the derby! I can tell you that way more fish die due to mishandling than what is boarded by a long shot!!

Lets give the lake a chance to rebound. The Nashua hatchery thus far has done a fantastic job of rearing the smolt for the past couple years. In a couple / few years more, Winni could / will be a great salmon fishery! Let's give it a chance to heal!!

Dan

zwiggles

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Stop making sense Dan  ;)

It’s funny I read just the other day that the derby was started to reduce the salmon population because they overstocked the lake.... I would be all for a laker derby on there, heck even if it was only a friendly derby for bragging rights.

Steve H.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 11:59 AM »
I would be all for a laker derby on there, heck even if it was only a friendly derby for bragging rights.

Count me in.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Hottuna5150

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 04:54 AM »
I think my bias is pretty well documented in that I greatly favor burp-sharks to silver stockies so take this with whatever salt necessary, and know that I have no strong feeling about the winni derby (never fished it)... but... Isn’t the whole point of stocking fish to have fun catching them? Seems like a lot of folks around here look forward to the derby. (This is also coming from a guy that wishes management of existing, self perpetuating populations had higher priority than stocking fish but that’s a whole different can o worms)

AquaAssassin

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 05:22 AM »
Isn’t the whole point of stocking fish to have fun catching them?

And what could make that even more fun? Catching them twice the size!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.